Beauty procedures to help with weight loss

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The most researched and effective I've seen for preventing wrinkles is retina-e, fruit consumption, no smoking, avoid sun damage, water, and moisturize.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm all about using creams and lotions on my skin. I've done it since I was a teenager and I'm going on 50 and everyone thinks I'm mid 30's so I think it pays off.

I'm interested in the bust cream. I looked up Collistar and its pretty expensive - but if it works I'm fine with that. Can anyone tell me what difference they noticed? I am heavy chested and through the years of gaining and losing I notice age on my chest. I use coconut oil, I've used castor oil and of course the same cream I use on my face. My problem is I have blemishes and I notice it breaks out much easier. I tried to use Vitamin C and it really broke out my chest. So I must be more sensitive in that area. Any one have any other good bust creams they use?

I'm using this Collistar intensive bust volumizing night serum. http://www2.collistar.com/products/K25111/intensive-bust-volumizing-serum-night

My boobs obviously didnt get bigger but they don't get too small during my weightloss. Or maybe I'm imagining it. At least my skin looks good. I bought 3 tubes during the 50% off sale so I'm going to use it. I also have night body cream but not using it now.

Regarding your blemish problems on your chest. I know that coconut oil is very comedogenic and might close pores which leads to breakouts. Maybe you should change it to another oil like jojoba oil?

I'm not familiar with other bust creams or serums. I've tried only the Collistar and the Clarins serum. I wasn't impressed by the Clarins bust serum at all.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big spa or product junkie. I use a daily moisturizer that costs maybe $6.00 at the grocery store, and that's it. I think it's diet and genetics that help keep my skin nice.

Many people tell me I look younger than I am.
  • ALKNica
    ALKNica Posts: 50
    Options
    I recently tripped while walking my dogs and I had scrapes on my knees that looked like they were getting infected, even with using topical antibiotics. A friend suggested I put honey on them. The effect was amazing! It was almost as if it regrew the skin faster and got rid of the infection. It does itch somewhat, but it was so worth it.

So that prompted me to use it on my skin like a mask. I leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then wipe it off with a warm washcloth. At first, it makes the skin red and seems to bring out bumps that weren't there before, but that effect goes away quickly. It is incredible how well my skin is looking from this. The honey I'm using is local and organic. I read that honey is a natural moisturizer. I do this a few times a week. Many days, I also take my makeup off with coconut oil and a warm washcloth.

I am 51 and really don't have wrinkles, but my neck has deflated from the weight loss (I was on here before and have lost a total of 38 lbs). That is the only thing that really shows my age. I hope the skin improves somewhat with further weighloss.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    You can try not only the honey but also Greek yogurt for your face. For my dry skin it does wonders!
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at some of the backlash comments here with an almost defensive tone. Yes, your dietary intake has a big effect on your skin quality, as does exercise. But your skin is also exposed to the elements. Not all of the products you can use are expensive, and many have proven effects. Since loose skin is such a concern for significant weight loss, I don't know why people would react so negatively to even the idea that you could address that with skin care.
    I am religious about sunscreen. I wear a minimum of SPF 30 on my face, even to the office on a cloudy day, and at least 55 if I will actually be outside. In addition, I take: a multivitamin, fish oil with krill, coQ10, zyflamend (which I am a huge fan of), 10K of biotin, and usually additional C and B-12.
    After a lot of research, my skin care is a mix of expensive and inexpensive, based on quality. I use an inexpensive Neutrogena retinol night cream, but in the morning I use Obagi C serum. I do have a Clarisonic brush and while I do feel like that helps support absorption of things like serums, I suppose it's more of a fun luxury. Specifically, I think that the skin care is keeping my skin firm and elastic while I am losing weight in my face. I had a double chin which is now gone but my jawline is smooth and tight. I love sugar scrubs, and I frequently make my own, with natural oils like almond, apricot kernel and safflower.
    There are numerous benefits to massage, and yes, there are cultures that swear by the whole sauna thing. I think there are a lot of things that support well-being, and look, even if it's just de-stressing, if that lowers your cortisol, doesn't that help support weight loss and general health?

Oh thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. It was also surprising for me to read so much negativity about beauty routine supporting healthy life style.

I agree on the Clarisonic, I don't see much difference from it. But I've read so much about the Obagi. Is it safe to use in the morning even with the SPF applied?

I'm afraid that weightloss might cause wrinkles to my face and I don't have any so far, maybe just a bit under my eyes. God blessed me with good skin and I'm trying my best to keep it. You know most people have problems with face skin after weight loss, not just the body. Some do fillers or fat injections to give youth to the face.

And yes, I swear by hamam and sauna. I'll try to find the procedures done in the bains here in Paris, it's expensive for full treatment but its amazing.

It is surprising, isn't it? Not all skin products are "ridiculous", "overpriced", "expensive"...

I use the Obagi C serum first. Usually a serum/moisturizer including peptides and hyaluronic acid over that, and then sunscreen. So it takes me a couple of minutes, but then again my typical makeup is tinted sunscreen/mascara/lip gloss so whatever. I'd rather put the time and money into my skin than just doing damage control with a lot of foundation (NOT that I am anti makeup!) The full Obagi system has you layering it too; I just don't use most of the rest of the stuff (though I do like the C cleanser, I most typically use cold cream or Cetaphil or even those face wipes). There are a lot of products that are expensive/questionable, but I think that a stable vitamin C and retinol are two things that are well demonstrated to support collagen production. I like the clarisonic. My skin is sensitive but as an exfoliant I seem to tolerate it well with the softest brush head. Anyway, I am 45 and my skin looks pretty much exactly like it did when I was 30 (and maybe better) ...just minimal crinkles at eye corners. I am sure that lifestyle is a lot, or even most of that (I don't drink often, I have never smoked, never been a sunbather), but I see no reason not to recognize that you can affect your skin from the outside too. Certainly you can protect it from sun and oxidative damage.
  • gooteek
    gooteek Posts: 64
    Options
    Massages are good on a regular basis, I found this while training for my marathon. 1. It helps release toxins in the body (that is why you should drink lots of water after a massage). 2. Typically natural oils are used in massage (Sandlewood) that also help condition the skin....since your skin is the biggest organ of your body, this gets you essential oil to every part of your body (not just cosmetic areas). 3. It help you relieve stress and bring your muscles into a state that makes sleep more beneficial. 3a. Rest and proper sleep are ever so if not more important than skin care treatments for keeping aging at bay.

Diet is by far more important to skin health and keeping aging at bay. You have only to You Tube the 70 year old vegetarian that looks like she is 45 to understand the imapct good diet can have on your health. Simple things like substituting coconut oil over all other oils in cooking can have a huge impact on health over time. Certainly fruits and veggies over "Full Meal Deals" at fast food restaurants makes the biggiest difference. I used to juice for a few years (and still should) and there are many fruits and vegetables that are huge for taking care of the skin and many of these Green Smoothies have reported to reverse graying of hair as the natural minerals are replenished. Lifestyle choices determine how you look in 30 years and then 30 years of adhering to them, not a last minute wonder solution, to be somewhat brass and blunt in summing it up, most quick beauty solutions can be classified as "lipstick on a pig" (a term we use a lot at work for making things look better than they actually are). Beauty comes from within and from years of dedication to living well, everything else is just masking the truth that years of abuse may have rendered.

For good info on the effects of juicing, google Dr. Day's treatment of her cancerous tumor in California with juicing and healthy diet. More and more we are finding out there are ways to heal our bodies that are within our control, but by far prevention is the key to aging well...proper exercise and diet cannot be cheated with quick solutions after years of abuse, the truth will be self evident.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at some of the backlash comments here with an almost defensive tone. Yes, your dietary intake has a big effect on your skin quality, as does exercise. But your skin is also exposed to the elements. Not all of the products you can use are expensive, and many have proven effects. Since loose skin is such a concern for significant weight loss, I don't know why people would react so negatively to even the idea that you could address that with skin care.
    I am religious about sunscreen. I wear a minimum of SPF 30 on my face, even to the office on a cloudy day, and at least 55 if I will actually be outside. In addition, I take: a multivitamin, fish oil with krill, coQ10, zyflamend (which I am a huge fan of), 10K of biotin, and usually additional C and B-12.
    After a lot of research, my skin care is a mix of expensive and inexpensive, based on quality. I use an inexpensive Neutrogena retinol night cream, but in the morning I use Obagi C serum. I do have a Clarisonic brush and while I do feel like that helps support absorption of things like serums, I suppose it's more of a fun luxury. Specifically, I think that the skin care is keeping my skin firm and elastic while I am losing weight in my face. I had a double chin which is now gone but my jawline is smooth and tight. I love sugar scrubs, and I frequently make my own, with natural oils like almond, apricot kernel and safflower.
    There are numerous benefits to massage, and yes, there are cultures that swear by the whole sauna thing. I think there are a lot of things that support well-being, and look, even if it's just de-stressing, if that lowers your cortisol, doesn't that help support weight loss and general health?

Oh thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. It was also surprising for me to read so much negativity about beauty routine supporting healthy life style.

I agree on the Clarisonic, I don't see much difference from it. But I've read so much about the Obagi. Is it safe to use in the morning even with the SPF applied?

I'm afraid that weightloss might cause wrinkles to my face and I don't have any so far, maybe just a bit under my eyes. God blessed me with good skin and I'm trying my best to keep it. You know most people have problems with face skin after weight loss, not just the body. Some do fillers or fat injections to give youth to the face.

And yes, I swear by hamam and sauna. I'll try to find the procedures done in the bains here in Paris, it's expensive for full treatment but its amazing.

I don't believe the negativity is towards having a beauty regime. It is more (for me anyway) about the reliance on expensive beauty products to deliver results that they probably won't. Wrinkles are pretty much there no matter what. You have to prevent them in the first place by wearing a good sunblock EVERY day and drinking plenty of liquids. Once they are there they are there. Apply what you want, it won't get rid of them. Botox works, but wears off after 4-6 months so needs topping up. Personally it's the only treatment I would pay for. All the expensive anti wrinkle creams are a con. You are just feeding into yet another giant industry full of pointless products that we all seem to HAVE to have these days......
  • YaGigi
    Options

It is surprising, isn't it? Not all skin products are "ridiculous", "overpriced", "expensive"...

I use the Obagi C serum first. Usually a serum/moisturizer including peptides and hyaluronic acid over that, and then sunscreen. So it takes me a couple of minutes, but then again my typical makeup is tinted sunscreen/mascara/lip gloss so whatever. I'd rather put the time and money into my skin than just doing damage control with a lot of foundation (NOT that I am anti makeup!) The full Obagi system has you layering it too; I just don't use most of the rest of the stuff (though I do like the C cleanser, I most typically use cold cream or Cetaphil or even those face wipes). There are a lot of products that are expensive/questionable, but I think that a stable vitamin C and retinol are two things that are well demonstrated to support collagen production. I like the clarisonic. My skin is sensitive but as an exfoliant I seem to tolerate it well with the softest brush head. Anyway, I am 45 and my skin looks pretty much exactly like it did when I was 30 (and maybe better) ...just minimal crinkles at eye corners. I am sure that lifestyle is a lot, or even most of that (I don't drink often, I have never smoked, never been a sunbather), but I see no reason not to recognize that you can affect your skin from the outside too. Certainly you can protect it from sun and oxidative damage.

Thanks for sharing your Obagi experience.

I've been using La Mer for a year or so and I really see the result on my dry skin. It calms my skin and gives it necessary nourish. My skin feels thicker when i use it. And I add Missha bb cream SPF 42 on top.
    But for the night I use Michael Todd hyaluronic acid C+ serum and I really like it. I add Michael Todd liposome antioxidant moisturizer on top of it or my La Mer if I need extra moisture.

When I'm done with the Michael Todd I wanted to get this Paula's choice set but maybe I'll try some of the Obagi. http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/collections/Skin-Recovery
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I get massages, drink lots of water and considering body wraps now that I'm almost 100 lbs down and have lots of loose skin.

Oh you should've started with it earlier...before you lost so much weight... That's ok, your skin can shrink if you help it. Just really need to have enough moisture and oils for it.

Do you take an oils? Like omega 3-6-9 or evening primrose oil?

Thanks for responding. I need to start taking better vitamins, I was taking some for quite a while, but they exacerbated my anxiety levels with some by-products they put in there. I will look up your vitamins and try them out! :smile:
  • YaGigi
    Options

I don't believe the negativity is towards having a beauty regime. It is more (for me anyway) about the reliance on expensive beauty products to deliver results that they probably won't. Wrinkles are pretty much there no matter what. You have to prevent them in the first place by wearing a good sunblock EVERY day and drinking plenty of liquids. Once they are there they are there. Apply what you want, it won't get rid of them. Botox works, but wears off after 4-6 months so needs topping up. Personally it's the only treatment I would pay for. All the expensive anti wrinkle creams are a con. You are just feeding into yet another giant industry full of pointless products that we all seem to HAVE to have these days......

Well, you have a right to do whatever you want. But I don't need your negativity towards MY choices. If you don't like it, don't do it. Don't use anything, don't buy expensive skincare, more power to you. But coming to this thread to express your negativity about choices of other people is pretty pathetic.

I am 32, my skin is better than some 25 years olds, no wrinkles, no dis colorations, so it seems I'm doing something right for myself :)
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Retin A!!!!!
  • YaGigi
    Options
    I get massages, drink lots of water and considering body wraps now that I'm almost 100 lbs down and have lots of loose skin.

Oh you should've started with it earlier...before you lost so much weight... That's ok, your skin can shrink if you help it. Just really need to have enough moisture and oils for it.

Do you take an oils? Like omega 3-6-9 or evening primrose oil?

Thanks for responding. I need to start taking better vitamins, I was taking some for quite a while, but they exacerbated my anxiety levels with some by-products they put in there. I will look up your vitamins and try them out! :smile:

I must say my vitamins were recommended by my doctor after I had full health check... So I think it's better to consult your doctor before taking any vitamins. Like for instance I was prescribed talking 10x of vitamin D due to some of my conditions...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Deep tissue massage, for muscles or for lymph does wonders for toning up the skin, releasing muscles, posture, and relieving pain. Revives circulation to cellulite areas (have you noticed those areas can be cool to the touch, and the skin not as healthy looking?). It's just generally tonic, and I have had those regularly. Great for stubborn fatty/flabby areas such as the arms and thighs. I have a good therapist, and am really grateful for the massages.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i prefer body wraps followed by a raspberry ketone shake....
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Deep tissue massage, for muscles or for lymph does wonders for toning up the skin, releasing muscles, posture, and relieving pain. Revives circulation to cellulite areas (have you noticed those areas can be cool to the touch, and the skin not as healthy looking?). It's just generally tonic, and I have had those regularly. Great for stubborn fatty/flabby areas such as the arms and thighs. I have a good therapist, and am really grateful for the massages.

Love it too!

But I agree it all come down to having a real professional doing it. Finding a good massage therapist is like finding your real love , lol.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    i prefer body wraps followed by a raspberry ketone shake....
    SSHHHH! Don't tell your secrets...
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I choose to use my money for my gym membership rather than overly expensive often unproved beauty products. But hey, whatever floats your boat I say ;-))

Seriously you think gym membership will help you with wrinkles in future?

I'd like to think most women with bodies like this tend to be more "get old gracefully"
  • michelle7673
    Options
    Retin A!!!!!

Yes! -- retinol and vitamin c both stimulate collagen growth. So while I know that there are some expensive products that are really just blingy snake oil, that's not true of all topical products -- nor are all of them expensive.
  • michelle7673
    Options

Well, I was with you for a while, but it's not true that there's nothing that can materially improve your skin. The science is better than that.