Replies

• Jem594
    Jem594 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thank you :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Speaking of small goals, I learned about the ap Happy Scale a few days ago. It breaks your goals down for you, and is very useful.

Saying I need to lose 100 pounds (my original goal) was kind of abstract. But saying my goal is to get to 200 by the end of September? It’s very manageable.
  • Jem594
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda I just reduced my goal and it gives me more hope. TY
  • Jem594
    Options
    thank you to all who reached out :D
  • RA_Warrior
    RA_Warrior Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose and it's alright. I have to get healthier, if I concentrate on it, weight loss will be inevitable and just a side effect.
  • MKWXIII
    MKWXIII Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. :)
  • aimievhulme5988
    aimievhulme5988 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im the same struggling to lose 18lbs. I have gone to smaller portions, exercise at least 4times a week and active job.my problem is i pick and dont even realise.... HELP!!!!
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Hi Jem! Thanks for the friend request, not sure how to use that function to keep in touch as still figuring MFP out. There sure are a lot of great tools, can spend hours here 😆.

And then I went to the desktop site and a tonne more options are there too!! - including a feature I was looking, for which was a personal blog.

How are you doing a few days in? What's your calorie goal? The app put mine at like 1337, which no way Jose, I think 1800 would be good for me for weight-loss but I set it at 2000 for now and then I have the positive feedback when I come under 😃. I will reduce it eventually on the app but with 100+ lbs to lose, I am in this for the long haul.

I am new to MFP but not new to this struggle and looking for a few friends to journey with that are in a similar mindset and starting a long journey too!
  • derbygraham
    derbygraham Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is a maxim which I love and live by. It is "you cannot manage what you cannot measure". In our case we need to weigh ourselves often and frequently. I weigh myself every day and always at the same time. I then check-in the weight reading into the MyFitnessPal. You can see a graph for the last week, month, 180 days and year.

My graph is a saw tooth graph. It is up and down but with a general trend going down. I notice my weight goes up at the weekend when I have indulged on the sauce and biscuits. Because I see that I know this is an area that needs more control.
  • Jem594
    edited August 2021
    Options
    hi @Ladybug8882021 , my calorie goal is 2760 but I'm usually under. I'm here for the long haul :)
    if u go to My Home you'll see a newsfeed to keep in touch
  • Jem594
    edited August 2021
    Options
    hi and thanks for the advice @derbygraham :)
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First off, and take this with a grain of salt. These are my words. "Huge" is relative. Huge for me was 100 lbs. Huge for someone is 300, Huge for someone else is 40. Don't get stuck on a number....
    Second, don't focus on the end game. As the 12 steppers would say it? Focus on TODAY. One step, one decision, and one little change at a time. In my world: Little changes. Today no more sweet tea. and set my diary goals again. I will say this.... FOR ME and my success had very little to do with Calories and Everything to do with SUGAR. I'm also type 2 Diabetic. You take time, read labels, and see how much sugar we unknowingly digest? It will shock you. Forget the white powdery stuff. See what's already in what you are eating/drinking. Milk? (No matter what percentage) Bread? (Did you know that subway uses Molasses in their wheat bread for color?) Seriously. If you set one of your macros (Sugar) for less than 40/day? You will find it EXTREMELY hard..... But you will also find the rewards too!
    Third. NOTHING goes in your mouth until it has been logged FIRST!! Not after you eat it. BEFORE. That way you have it measured, and know where you stand.
    Finally? Motivate others. (Thats what I am doing now) It helps you stay on top of your plan, and reminds you what works for you! And if you stumble? Get up and do it again!
    The key word here is AGAIN!! There is no shame in your game. The point is, you always have the tools, and know how to use them. They won't go anywhere, So when you have had enough? you pick them up, and decide enough was enough. And get back to it! Just for TODAY.....
    It's where I am at. In 2011 I started at 300 lbs to lose 100. I finally after MANY trials and errors made my goal. And then.... I dropped it all because I crossed the finish line. But guess what? I've gained 40 lbs back, and the health issues are starting again. So hear I am! Picking up the tool bag and getting back to work!

Remember... Fall down 7, Get up 8. #IBelieveInYou #NoExcuses #NowBelieveInYourself
    Here's wishing you success!
  • Jem594
    Options
    @LeeDahlen38 thank you for your inspirational words. I will take them to heart!
  • SunSetTraveler
    SunSetTraveler Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So much great advice here...my biggest challenge is boredom of my foods..so I'm planning a menu I enjoy..less calories..enjoyable foods..cut out some of the bad stuff and chart EVERYTHING!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    The key in losing weight, and take this from someone who has lost over 192 pounds, is to make small, SUSTAINABLE changes. this is a long term effort. not a sprint. you will not lose weight fast. you will not lose weight every week. you will have weeks on end with NO weight loss. its normal. trust the process.

my main tips:

learn how to weigh (on a food scale) your food properly and find ACCURATE database entries now. I don't know what your starting weight is, but at first you may have a lot of room for error. but as you have less to lose, you don't. If you learn how to do things properly from the beginning, it means you don' have to RE-LEARN how to do it later.

Find an activity you ENJOY. You don't have to be a runner (ew). You don't have to work out at all to lose weight (weight loss happens in the kitchen). BUT... physical activity does have a LOT of benefits. Both mental and physical. It can be as simple as a leisurely stroll a few times a week. And as you lose weight, you may find (I did), that you WANT to do more. Simple, little things like parking a bit further out in parking lots. Taking stairs instead of elevators. walking to your mailbox instead of pulling up to it in your car as you are pulling in your driveway. Small things. Every bit counts.

Understand that you do not have to give up your favorite foods or any food groups to lose weight. You DO need to learn how MUCH you can eat. Portion control. This goes back to my first point. For the most part, I eat the same things I always have. Just less of them. I eat burgers and pizza and chips and cookies. Just ... not all in the same day ;) well, I might could get away with it if I planned it out REALLY well. And stuck to the plan with NO deviation. Maybe. LOL

You will have 'bad' days. Whether its a holiday or just a ... bad day. Life happens. you will go over. It is NOT the end of the world. You will not ruin your deficit with one bad day. The problems come in when that one bad day becomes two, becomes 3, becomes a week, and goes on....

You've got this. Take it one day at a time, and each day, try to do a little bit better. Don't try to do everything all at once. Don't try to make 1000 changes all at once. Most people who burn out, do so because they try to do too much, too soon. start small. build from there. You did not gain the weight quickly. You will not lose it quickly. Better to lose it slowly, and KEEP IT OFF, then lose it quick, and gain it all back and more!

I've been at this a long time. It becomes a part of your life, and like any other habit, you don't think about it much, really. Your eating habits slowly change. You weigh and log your food. Your activity levels (usually) change, at least to some degree. You become more mindful of what you are putting in your shopping cart and body. My one (or two) words of caution is to make these changes slowly. Most people who go 'All in' head first and full steam, burn out quick. Your first couple of weeks, maybe even first month, most people will lose a fair amount fairly quickly, but most of it is water weight (usually from a reduction in carbs). It does slow down, as your body adjusts. It's normal, and is SUPPOSED to happen, so don't get discouraged. Also, don't set your calories too low. The fastest rate of loss (1200 for women and 1500 for men) is not the best rate of loss. Although very tempting to set it to lose faster, it will make it harder for you to maintain and stick to your calorie goals because you will be ... well, hungry. Be kind to yourself, give yourself a few more calories, and you will still lose weight and be less likely to deviate from your plan and therefore more likely to succeed. :)

Useful Links
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

and basically ... all of these :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • ooji
    ooji Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All of people's comments make sense but I still hit a point when dieting where I can't stay motivated. If i get down to below 15 stone, which I have done a couple of times, I am no longer 'officially' obese and in many ways that is a huge step and I know that and I can be proud of it but then I look in the mirror and there is still a fat overweight woman looking back at me and that's the point at which I generally give up and start eating.