Filipino chicken and spaghetti sauce

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
edited August 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I've been seeing a lot of Filipino recipes lately and am finally getting around to asking @ninerbuff (and whoever might be interested) about them.

This one came in my email today and looked dreadful:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/277270/slow-cooker-filipino-chicken-adobo/

Here's another version of Filipino chicken that looks a lot more interesting:

https://donnasquickqi.wordpress.com/2019/07/23/weekly-winner-my-new-go-to-grilled-chicken-lovely-lacquered/

That is from Milk Street but behind a paywall now:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/lemon-lime-barbeque-grilled-chicken-inihaw-na-manok-filipino

And earlier I saw a reference to Filipino spaghetti and was wondering about a recipe and how important the banana ketchup is. Wikipedia thinks brown sugar can be used as a substitute for banana ketchup and I wanted to check in about that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_spaghetti

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually eaten any of these Filipino red sauce recipes -- but I know that they are definitely sweeter due to the banana ketchup, which is probably why brown sugar is suggested as a substitute...and that might work fine as far as if you want to make/eat it.

As far as if it will taste authentic...probably not bc banana ketchup is not just sweeter than our tomato ketchup, it definitely does have a banana flavor to it so brown sugar will not recreate that flavor profile exactly.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Used both . If you want authentic.. banana ketchup for sure...

Suggest trying to find Filipino restaurant or store that have rte meal that have them.. so you know /expect the taste when making it yourself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Lol, all I gotta say is banana ketchup is a staple for "RED SAUCE". :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The "dreadful" one sounds great to me. No added sugar, lots of garlic, slow cooker (e.g., walk away and forget it). What's not to like?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
  • kshama2001
    Options
    The "dreadful" one sounds great to me. No added sugar, lots of garlic, slow cooker (e.g., walk away and forget it). What's not to like?

What I don't like is too much vinegar and not enough other ingredients. I do love my slow cooker though - outside grilling season I would definitely do the second recipe in my crockpot.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

Suggest trying to find Filipino restaurant or store that have rte meal that have them.. so you know /expect the taste when making it yourself.

That's a great idea, but I'm not aware of any near me. Google maps thinks there is a restaurant nearby, but they have no website or facebook, and all the sites that claim to have their menu actually do not. I sent my partner to pick up a menu/verify if they are actually open.

Next time I'm in Quincy, MA, I'll have to see if Kam Man has a Filipino section or Filipino RTE. For my Thai and Indian needs, they are fabulous!

https://www.kammanquincy.com/
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Thanks! I find your version appealing - do you have the proportions?
    Just made this (with chicken thighs) in a virtual cooking class (supporting a local store). We made pork and cabbage lumpia too.

The adobo version I did was soy sauce, apple cider vinegar (although type of vinegar was said not to matter), oyster sauce, garlic, a little honey, a little tomato paste, and chicken stock, with a bay leaf and peppercorns (although I just used pepper).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's a great idea, but I'm not aware of any near me. Google maps thinks there is a restaurant nearby, but they have no website or facebook, and all the sites that claim to have their menu actually do not. I sent my partner to pick up a menu/verify if they are actually open.

Next time I'm in Quincy, MA, I'll have to see if Kam Man has a Filipino section or Filipino RTE. For my Thai and Indian needs, they are fabulous!

Do you object to Amazon? Unsurprisingly, you can order banana ketchup.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't object to Amazon in general, but I do object to their prices for many Asian food items ;)
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't object to Amazon in general, but I do object to their prices for many Asian food items ;)

Don't blame ya.. they are overpriced.. 😂
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks! I find your version appealing - do you have the proportions?
    Just made this (with chicken thighs) in a virtual cooking class (supporting a local store). We made pork and cabbage lumpia too.

The adobo version I did was soy sauce, apple cider vinegar (although type of vinegar was said not to matter), oyster sauce, garlic, a little honey, a little tomato paste, and chicken stock, with a bay leaf and peppercorns (although I just used pepper).

I've made it a couple additional times since and played around with it a little, since the original was a bit too salty for me (low sodium soy would fix that), but the original recipe was:

8 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup honey [I used a bit less]
    2 tablespoons oyster sauce
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    2 cups chicken stock [I used some homemade I had on hand]
    10 whole peppercorns
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 bay leaves