Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What a lot of us here already know: "Fast" carbs don't make you fat!

Options
123457»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Question in my mind, for those talking about pasta servings: Are we talking dry weight, or cooked weight? Wondering if we're apples to apples in this discussion.

Back on topic: For myself, I don't find pasta or rice to increase my cravings for pasta or rice. I'm sure that applies for some people, but it seems like a weird over-generalization. It seems to me as if satiation or cravings/appetite triggers are quite variable among individuals; seems inaccurate to me when people speak as if the way various foods affect their personal satiation or cravings are universal.

Admittedly, as a vegetarian, I don't find wheat pasta or rice super-helpful foods because they have relatively many calories for the nutrition and general happiness they bring me, so I don't eat them often. (I do eat legume pastas quite frequently, similar calories, some carbs, but more protein than the wheat pastas.) I usually use the basic 56g = one serving amount that's on packages here in the US, and it makes quite a big volume of food once plenty of veggies and sauce are mixed in.

I do find things like mainstream cookies, cakes, etc., not very filling, so easy to overeat in that sense. Fortunately (?), I'm not a big craver of sweets - most of those dessert-y things are too sweet, not very delicious to me. Things like cheese, nuts, salty treats (carb-y or not) are more likely to be things that I can easily over-eat.

For me it's dry weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Question in my mind, for those talking about pasta servings: Are we talking dry weight, or cooked weight? Wondering if we're apples to apples in this discussion.

Back on topic: For myself, I don't find pasta or rice to increase my cravings for pasta or rice. I'm sure that applies for some people, but it seems like a weird over-generalization. It seems to me as if satiation or cravings/appetite triggers are quite variable among individuals; seems inaccurate to me when people speak as if the way various foods affect their personal satiation or cravings are universal.

Admittedly, as a vegetarian, I don't find wheat pasta or rice super-helpful foods because they have relatively many calories for the nutrition and general happiness they bring me, so I don't eat them often. (I do eat legume pastas quite frequently, similar calories, some carbs, but more protein than the wheat pastas.) I usually use the basic 56g = one serving amount that's on packages here in the US, and it makes quite a big volume of food once plenty of veggies and sauce are mixed in.

I do find things like mainstream cookies, cakes, etc., not very filling, so easy to overeat in that sense. Fortunately (?), I'm not a big craver of sweets - most of those dessert-y things are too sweet, not very delicious to me. Things like cheese, nuts, salty treats (carb-y or not) are more likely to be things that I can easily over-eat.
    For me it's dry weight.

Oh, for me it is cooked.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    80gr of dry pasta is the portion I use for a meal (I'm Greek, the pasta packets we get here are typically 500gr, and make 6 servings). Together with the sauce, veggies and protein, it gives you a plate weighing 300-400gr in total.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

For me it's dry weight.

Oh, for me it is cooked.

WELL----that explains a lot. We were comparing apples and oranges. 150g (approximately the dry weight of 300g cooked pasta) is not an oversize portion for a male. It would then depend on what was on it. Using veggies or seafood and watching the oil content can make that a very reasonable meal. Maybe he should move to Italy. We'd get him walking all over and send you back a new man. :D

Sounds good! Right now his walking is with the cat - if they're lucky, they MIGHT get a mile in an hour :lol:

(He does get lots of other exercise, but walking is not currently a good source of calorie burning.)
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    [quote=ksharma2001 Right now his walking is with the cat - if they're lucky, they MIGHT get a mile in an hour[/quote]
    That gave me the biggest smile - I have a cat who always wants to come for walks, but only to the end of the block, so I have to return to the house to drop the cat at home before continuing the walk with the dog.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Walking with the cat makes me smile. Initially I thought it meant getting the cat into a harness and actually walking it like a dog :D
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    OMG, that's ADORABLE!
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The only way in which 'fast carbs' contributed to making me fat was because I was using them to compensate for being wildly and chronically sleep deprived.

It takes a LOT of carbs to make up for having slept 6 hours over 4 days.

This has been proven in research. Major tiredness causes hunger, especially for carbs. That's why you see lots of overweight road workers. They're working their bodies all day, which uses up a lot of energy, but also makes them eat more because they're tired from working all day so they're likely to indulge in high energy food to give themselves a boost of energy. Unfortunately it's a vicious cycle, being overweight and working your body makes you even more tired.

Another reason to not have a manual labour job.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    cant say I've noticed road workers being more overweight than the general population - your hypothesis and conclusion seem a bit shaky to me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    The only way in which 'fast carbs' contributed to making me fat was because I was using them to compensate for being wildly and chronically sleep deprived.

It takes a LOT of carbs to make up for having slept 6 hours over 4 days.

This has been proven in research. Major tiredness causes hunger, especially for carbs. That's why you see lots of overweight road workers. They're working their bodies all day, which uses up a lot of energy, but also makes them eat more because they're tired from working all day so they're likely to indulge in high energy food to give themselves a boost of energy. Unfortunately it's a vicious cycle, being overweight and working your body makes you even more tired.

Another reason to not have a manual labour job.

I don't notice the road workers here being different from average, and I do witness a lot of them standing around (flagmen/women) or driving vehicles. FWIW, my dad was a manual laborer, stayed around a healthy weight until he retired. In retirement, he gained . . . saw a holiday photo of himself that shocked him, cut back eating (without explicitly calorie counting), lost back to a healthy weight, stayed there for the rest of his life.

I'm not buying your hypothesis. Do some people get fatigued, then eat more as energy-seeking, because their fitness level lags their activity level? Sure. But your picture's missing a lot of important pieces. Yes, fatigue can lead to low energy which can lead to over-eating. The whole manual-as-doom thing? Nah.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I see “studies” done I look to who commissioned it. This was a study on carbs and how they are not the enemy…commissioned by a Grains Council. Duh. How do you think the study was going to conclude if not in the favor of continued support of processed grain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    When I see “studies” done I look to who commissioned it. This was a study on carbs and how they are not the enemy…commissioned by a Grains Council. Duh. How do you think the study was going to conclude if not in the favor of continued support of processed grain.
    Uh where does it says that? It's a PEER REVIEWED STUDY. You misread the actual study and concluded it was a grains council that commissioned it. Here's the actual quote:

"In a report commissioned by the Grain Foods Foundation, scientists discovered little difference in how high-glycemic and low-glycemic foods impact weight management."
    That was an individual report in the article. NOT the actual study. Big difference.

Here's the actual abstract and study
    https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/12/6/2076/6342518

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Uh where does it says that? It's a PEER REVIEWED STUDY. You misread the actual study and concluded it was a grains council that commissioned it. Here's the actual quote:

"In a report commissioned by the Grain Foods Foundation, scientists discovered little difference in how high-glycemic and low-glycemic foods impact weight management."
    That was an individual report in the article. NOT the actual study. Big difference.

Here's the actual abstract and study
    https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/12/6/2076/6342518

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

GAG, JMJ AND SSA are the 3 authors of this study.

Author disclosures: GAG, JMJ, and SSA are members of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Grain Foods Foundation; GAG is a member of the Scientific Advisory Boards of the Wheat Foods Council and Ardent Mills, LLC; JMJ and SSA are members of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Quality Carbohydrate Coalition.