Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Trying out a new info-graphic: How fast can I safely lose weight?

Options
Jthanmyfitnesspal
Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
What does the crowd think of this one? Useful or confusing?

lqznm2kagrl6.png

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @cmriverside : Hey, that's why we're on the debate forum!

I object to that infographic on a few grounds:

There is no particular reason to lose at 0.5lbs/week when you have <20lbs to lose. Most people would want to lose faster than that (e.g., 1lb per week).

Also, there is no particular reason to lose at 2lbs per week if you have >60lbs to lose. A 1000kcal deficit could easily be in excess of 30% of TDEE for that case, which is rather high.

Finally, the grammar of "1% of your weight maximum" is unclear. It doesn't say in what time interval. (I presume you mean per week.) Also, it isn't particularly consistent with the examples given. A 200lb man could easily be only 30lbs overweight, for example, and the table says he should shoot for 1lb/week loss, not 2lb/week.

The best part of the infographic are the points at the bottom.

Anyway, you can keep posting it and I can keep objecting to it. That's fine, so long as we are all polite to each other. It's a free forum, after all.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,185 Member
    Options
    This thread interests me, because it deals with something I've been thinking about for a while.
    I'd read that a safe rate of weight loss is 1-2 pounds/week. This bothered me, because it's so general, lacks context, and it ignores some obvious issues like the differences between a 120 pound person and a 400 pound person. Certainly, a safe rate will likely differ for these two, and may be above or below that 1-2 lb recommendation.

I agree with both  @Jthanmyfitnesspal and  @cmriverside, as there are parts I like (and dislike) about both graphics (although I tend to prefer the one  @cmriverside likes). But rather than critque these two graphics (I'll leave that to others), I'd like to give my 2 cents worth:

Should you measure loss in pounds, or percentage?
    If in percentage, should it be a current weight percentage or a TDEE deficit percentage?
    IMO, neither...

My thinking is, your loss rate ought to take into account both your current weight and your amount of excess weight (a problem with this is of course that your amount of excess weight is not necessarily obvious nor easy to determine). But the idea is, the closer you are to your ideal weight, the fewer pounds per week you should be attempting to lose. What that percentage can safely be, I do not know, but I will use 3% for some examples.

So, some examples...
    1. current weight 300 pounds with excess weight of 100 pounds:
      1% of current weight = 1% x 300 = 3.0 lbs/wk
      3% of excess weight = 3% x 100 = 3.0 lbs/wk
    2. current weight 200 pounds with excess weight of 20 pounds:
      1% of current weight = 1% x 200 = 2.0 lbs/wk
      3% of excess weight = 3% x 20 = 0.6 lbs/wk
    3. current weight 150 pounds with excess weight of 30 pounds:
      1% of current weight = 1% x 150 = 1.5 lbs/wk
      3% of excess weight = 3% x 30 = 0.9 lbs/wk
    4. current weight 150 pounds with excess weight of 15 pounds:
      3% of excess weight = 3% x 15 = 0.45 lbs/wk

It's a complex subject and I am not well informed, but my suspicion is that the more weight you have to lose, the more weight you can safely lose per week.
    I suggest there might be a rule of thumb that goes something like this:
    You can safely lose per week up to x% of your excess weight, or y% of your current weight, whichever is lower.

I look forward to the continuation of this debate. :D

P.S. It occurs to me now that one might want to consider body fat percent in the equation. Two people, one weighing 150 lbs, the other 300 lbs, could both have 50% body fat. How to we factor that in?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    This thread interests me, because it deals with something I've been thinking about for a while.
    I'd read that a safe rate of weight loss is 1-2 pounds/week. This bothered me, because it's so general, lacks context, and it ignores some obvious issues like the differences between a 120 pound person and a 400 pound person. Certainly, a safe rate will likely differ for these two, and may be above or below that 1-2 lb recommendation.

I agree with both  @Jthanmyfitnesspal and  @cmriverside, as there are parts I like (and dislike) about both graphics (although I tend to prefer the one  @cmriverside likes). But rather than critque these two graphics (I'll leave that to others), I'd like to give my 2 cents worth:

If in percentage, should it be a current weight percentage or a TDEE deficit percentage?
    IMO, neither...

My thinking is, your loss rate ought to take into account both your current weight and your amount of excess weight (a problem with this is of course that your amount of excess weight is not necessarily obvious nor easy to determine). But the idea is, the closer you are to your ideal weight, the fewer pounds per week you should be attempting to lose. What that percentage can safely be, I do not know, but I will use 3% for some examples.

So, some examples...

It's a complex subject and I am not well informed, but my suspicion is that the more weight you have to lose, the more weight you can safely lose per week.
    You can safely lose per week up to x% of your excess weight, or y% of your current weight, whichever is lower.

P.S. It occurs to me now that one might want to consider body fat percent in the equation. Two people, one weighing 150 lbs, the other 300 lbs, could both have 50% body fat. How to we factor that in?

Some interesting ideas in there (to which I need to give more thought). Quick reaction: There's a tradeoff between simple advice, and nuanced advice.

Thinking if you start considering too many variables, it gets too non-simple. I'm particularly skeptical about including body fat percent in there, because hardly anyone has a decent body fat percentage estimate, and trying to get one tends to lead to all kinds of complexity when it comes up in threads.
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IMO, neither...

So, some examples...

Some interesting ideas in there (to which I need to give more thought). Quick reaction: There's a tradeoff between simple advice, and nuanced advice.

Thinking if you start considering too many variables, it gets too non-simple. I'm particularly skeptical about including body fat percent in there, because hardly anyone has a decent body fat percentage estimate, and trying to get one tends to lead to all kinds of complexity when it comes up in threads.

Yes, body fat percent, i.e. excess weight, has the problem that it is not easily determined.
    Still, it might be worth mentioning a person should consider that when setting their goals.
    And I agree that one shouldn't overcomplicate it. But how do you explain things so that people who have less weight to lose don't get discouraged when they see others--who may have a lot more to lose--losing weight at what seems like an unattainable rate (perhaps because it is)?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

IMO, neither...

So, some examples...

Yes, body fat percent, i.e. excess weight, has the problem that it is not easily determined.
    Still, it might be worth mentioning a person should consider that when setting their goals.
    And I agree that one shouldn't overcomplicate it. But how do you explain things so that people who have less weight to lose don't get discouraged when they see others--who may have a lot more to lose--losing weight at what seems like an unattainable rate (perhaps because it is)?

I think the current (percent of bodyweight) infographic answers that by implication: Less to lose, should lose slower. It doesn't exactly say *why* that would be recommended, other than the "need enough calories to be healthy and get good nutrition" at the bottom. Typically, on top of that, IME any infographic is usually popping up in a thread where there's text discussion, too, even if not posted by the same person who posts the infographic.
  • frankwbrown
    Options

I agree with both  @Jthanmyfitnesspal and  @cmriverside, as there are parts I like (and dislike) about both graphics (although I tend to prefer the one  @cmriverside likes). But rather than critique these two graphics (I'll leave that to others), I'd like to give my 2 cents worth:

IMO, neither...

So, some examples...

I think the current (percent of bodyweight) infographic answers that by implication: Less to lose, should lose slower. It doesn't exactly say *why* that would be recommended, other than the "need enough calories to be healthy and get good nutrition" at the bottom. Typically, on top of that, IME any infographic is usually popping up in a thread where there's text discussion, too, even if not posted by the same person who posts the infographic.

Since this thread is about the infographic, after all, I must concur.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your purple made-up graphic and I'll stick to this one:

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

I don't suppose you know the source of this one? I always wondered why it's repeated over and over yet there's no citation for the information on there. For all we know that one is "made up" too!

That's not to say I think the OP's one is any cop; it's confusing at best.
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The TDEE explanation is good to inform newbies but of course MFP doesn't calculate your TDEE to set someone's calorie goal so that part may confuse rather than inform. As MFP uses different BMR multipliers it's not a "standard formula". There's more than enough confusion around accounting for exercise already!

But I do agree that rates of loss are more nuanaced than the simplistic infographic you dislike and you make some very good points

I don't think the "general suggestions" are particularly good on the old infographic and although somewhat helpful they are painted with a very broad brush.
    Someone losing the last 1 - 20lbs of a 100lb loss is in a very different situation to someone losing just 1 - 20lbs.
    Someone losing that 1 - 20lbs down to a goal of 200lbs is in a very different situation to someone losing to a goal of 100lbs.
    Someone having a large deficit for a short period of time isn't going to have the same issues as someone with a big deficit for a protracted length of time.

I dislike the group think that insists the last few pounds to goal are particulalrly hard and MUST be done very slowly - although true for many and a good idea for many it's not universal. Telling a larger person with a high calorie goal that it's desperately hard and a mistake to cut 500 cals / day is simply being a pessimist for no good reason and can demotivate. Hard to cut 500cals off a 1700 allowance, yes - but it's not hard to cut 500 off a 3,500 allowance and still hit all nutritional bases.

Overall I'm not convinced simple infographics work too well for a subject that is complex and very variable between individuals and situations.
    What I do see a lot is posts from newbies that simply don't have enough information and context to allow anyone to work out the person's situation and needs in which case a simple message like the "1% of bodyweight per week maximum" can be as least help to a degree.

PS - how would your format look on a mobile device? I think it might be very busy and hard to read.

I completely agree. You say it better than I ever could. :smile:
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Some great feedback here. I really appreciate the discussion.

I do wish that MFP would take your stats and give you your estimated TDEE with a table of choices and some advice on each one. I bet a lot of people join the site and pick 2lbs/week loss. Yikes!

As far as I can tell by playing around with it, MFPs formula is VERY CLOSE to the Mifflin st. Jeor BMR formula with the usual multiplier that varies by what activity level you select. It's amazingly simple and I'm amazed how well it worked for me. I hear it doesn't work for everyone!

@frankwbrown suggests a 3lb/week loss rate for a 300lb person. I think 3lbs per week is too high a rate for just about any weight. For an average male, that would be a 54% deficit relative to sedentary TDEE. Yikes!

It seems several people advocate a slower loss rate when closer to goal weight. I think this is entirely reasonable, if you want. I have personally lost around 20lbs at a rate of about 1lb/week, which is almost exactly a 25% deficit for me. Some weeks I actually went faster than that by under-eating my exercise bonus. When I need a little correction, I'll go back into ~25% deficit for a few weeks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It seems several people advocate a slower loss rate when closer to goal weight. I think this is entirely reasonable, if you want. I have personally lost around 20lbs at a rate of about 1lb/week, which is almost exactly a 25% deficit for me. Some weeks I actually went faster than that by under-eating my exercise bonus. When I need a little correction, I'll go back into ~25% deficit for a few weeks.

Very similar for me, my initial loss was 24lbs at circa 1lb/week to get to what was a 175lb goal weight.
    It was a comfortable rate of loss for me, left me a decent weekly calorie budget and as I was always good at maintaining before I lost that chunk of weight, I simply added 3,500 a week and flipped to maintenance without issue. If I had decided to lose the last 20 pounds over 40 weeks (as per the “General Suggestions”) there's a good chance I would have become bored and frustrated which for me are precursors for giving up.

That isn't intended to discount or diminish that some people struggle to lose the last few pounds and/or adjust from deficit to maintenance, just underlines there isn't just one way to manage weight loss or the transition to maintenance.

BTW - for last few years I've lost "the last few pounds" in Spring (I tend to let my weight drift up a bit in Winter). I've lost them very slowly (so slow I don’t really notice the restriction) I've also lost them relatively quickly some years when I had a deadline (short term restriction to a defined goal doesn’t bore or frustrate me, it just increases my focus). Both approaches worked fine for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    MFPs formula is VERY CLOSE to the Mifflin st. Jeor BMR formula

It is the Mifflin formula.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Prior to the fitness trackers helping with TDEE and exercise estimates syncing to MFP, I had that spreadsheet that kept getting bigger and bigger per suggestions made.

And this whole aspect of safe amount to lose was a big challenge, because I wanted info from studies.
    There was never anything exactly like comparing fast and slow rates for remaining amounts left - but there were studies showing negative effects when it was too big, compared to other studies not showing those negative effects at more reasonable rate. Or positive effects at a certain level. So I ended up just setting bounds, and actually auto-switched between methods depending on what allowed the biggest deficit. I also stopped at BMR as a safety line in case there were some strange scenario that just allowed a huge deficit when not a good idea.

There was research for the 10-20% off est TDEE, but I've seen studies since then showing 25-30% when above the obese range is fine and there was some daily activity being done (not bed-bound).

There was research about a 2% of weight to be lost method, but that requires knowing what a healthy goal weight is, and obviously a cut-off at some point.

There was study about still gaining slight amount of muscle on a 0.7% of weight deficit weekly, while lifting of course, so not a bad boundary, but again some cut-off needed.

Since this sheet was replacing MFP NEAT method with TDEE method which required manual tweaking of MFP anyway - I didn't do anything with MFP block deficit methods, but it was interesting to compare where the 250,500,750, 1000 lines were.

And of course this didn't take into account the extra variables that might allow a bigger deficit that sijomial mentions, or be better for smaller deficit.
    Only 10 to lose and active - might be able to handle 2 lbs weekly before any ill effects.
    Not active - perhaps too fast.
    Sliding into the last 10 after losing 200 and no diet breaks - or there were diet breaks - big potential difference there.

Now there is the extra research on alternate week diets with tad higher deficit not a being a problem with that maintenance week in there.

And I do like a different set of ranges that seemed to be closer to the studies I looked at, which many do use block deficit amounts. But this seems to be if you are starting in that range, even that may be aggressive if a long diet and no breaks.
    <15
    15-30
    30-50
    >50

ETA:
    The strangeness that occurs with % of weight to be lost, or % of current weight, is why I actually prefer the % TDEE method too - but it is hard to translate that into the standard MFP setup to keep things simple.
    And that method too has the upper end at likely a slower rate than what could be reasonable.