Moment of realness

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    I think people are far too focused on body image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOgd9hitEAE

Now that there’s pretty darn funny.
  • elizabethgsingler
    elizabethgsingler Posts: 1 Member
    What a great encouraging post!
  • springlering62
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

… I've also known other women to say they became invisible as they aged, and I didn't/don't have that sense about myself either, at least not so far. In context, given the people who said that to me, I've wondered if that was about their becoming (or feeling/presenting as) less attractive or sexy with age, in common cultural terms.

Ann, you clearly present as a stacked, healthy, older woman.

I’ve found that, as I cross the line to similar, people don’t know what to make of me.

When I had a giant chest, my mom used to berate me “Stick ‘em out and be proud of ‘em!” (which naturally only made me 100x more self conscious .) I became an expert at hiding boobs, weight, etc. I’ve never enjoyed standing out, now with more visible muscle than last year, am a little uneasy about warmer weather coming. (I walk 10 miles or so a day in our CBD for various reasons.)

I can choose to be invisible if I cover up, or watch heads in surprise turn the few warm days I’ve been able not to. It’s a strange paradigm. I don’t know how I’m going to cope with it this summer, since, obvs, covering up is not an option here in the Deep South.

You, with your muscles and rowing skills, probably have a bit more unintentional swagger or confidence or “presence” or even “shock value” than the average “older” woman .

You’re far beyond the realm of average and thus, not invisible.

There’s a new generation of women like you and (blush) me, and more coming as the healthier crop of youngsters age. It’ll be interesting to see how society recognizes us.

Sorry if this comes off as more me me me. I do a *kitten* poor job of trying to explain.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,720 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

… I've also known other women to say they became invisible as they aged, and I didn't/don't have that sense about myself either, at least not so far. In context, given the people who said that to me, I've wondered if that was about their becoming (or feeling/presenting as) less attractive or sexy with age, in common cultural terms.

Ann, you clearly present as a stacked, healthy, older woman.

I’ve found that, as I cross the line to similar, people don’t know what to make of me.

When I had a giant chest, my mom used to berate me “Stick ‘em out and be proud of ‘em!” (which naturally only made me 100x more self conscious .) I became an expert at hiding boobs, weight, etc. I’ve never enjoyed standing out, now with more visible muscle than last year, am a little uneasy about warmer weather coming. (I walk 10 miles or so a day in our CBD for various reasons.)

I can choose to be invisible if I cover up, or watch heads in surprise turn the few warm days I’ve been able not to. It’s a strange paradigm. I don’t know how I’m going to cope with it this summer, since, obvs, covering up is not an option here in the Deep South.

You, with your muscles and rowing skills, probably have a bit more unintentional swagger or confidence or “presence” or even “shock value” than the average “older” woman .

You’re far beyond the realm of average and thus, not invisible.

There’s a new generation of women like you and (blush) me, and more coming as the healthier crop of youngsters age. It’ll be interesting to see how society recognizes us.

Sorry if this comes off as more me me me. I do a *kitten* poor job of trying to explain.

You're very flattering to my ego - thank you for that. ;)

Note, though, that while I admittedly lost less weight than you have, I was class 1 obese (and looked it) at age 59.

I didn't feel invisible then. I don't feel any less or more visible now. I don't perceive a difference.

Is that my perception, or something real? Dunno.

Like I said, maybe I'm just not tuned into what other people are thinking/doing - oblivious. Maybe there was something unusually visible about my way of being when I was fat, compared to others, that's still part of my way of being now (though I don't have any reason to believe that to be true, nor do I have any hint what it could be if it was true).

I believe you, I believe others who've made similar observations. But I didn't/don't feel it in my own life (so far), fat or thin . . . other than perhaps that brief period in youth where I felt more noticed (but was maybe simply more self-conscious).
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Love this post! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,077 Member
    Looking good and fit! :)
  • springlering62
    Bump. Would love an update here from @KickassAmazon76

Your recent vids elsewhere have been….kickass
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    I can tell at first glance it was the same day.. you were just sticking your stomach out on the second photos. You're in great shape.. all of us could slouch over. or let our stomachs stick out. But, overall. you're in fantastic shape. But i get your point. Photos on social media platforms are touched up .. taken from best angles and lighting ... not real one bit.
    Even my own daughter.. whom i think is so beautiful .. looks like a different person and nothing like her real self in the photos she posts. Wheni see them, i think? Who is that? AS if, some other pretty girl is pretendng to be my daughter.

• springlering62
    I can tell at first glance it was the same day.. you were just sticking your stomach out on the second photos. You're in great shape.. all of us could slouch over. or let our stomachs stick out. But, overall. you're in fantastic shape. But i get your point. Photos on social media platforms are touched up .. taken from best angles and lighting ... not real one bit.
    Even my own daughter.. whom i think is so beautiful .. looks like a different person and nothing like her real self in the photos she posts. Wheni see them, i think? Who is that? AS if, some other pretty girl is pretendng to be my daughter.
    I am so f’ing grateful I don’t have a teenager these days. I don’t even know how parents cope, and the ginormous pressure kids put on themselves, just to look like little pouty lipped, almond-lined eyes just like the next girl. It really creeps me out. It’s like little robot armies of lookalikes.

Sorry. Old person rant over.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I am so f’ing grateful I don’t have a teenager these days. I don’t even know how parents cope, and the ginormous pressure kids put on themselves, just to look like little pouty lipped, almond-lined eyes just like the next girl. It really creeps me out. It’s like little robot armies of lookalikes.

I am so f’ing grateful I'm not a teenager these days.

I was just telling my OH this AM that I liked 90's grunge and stuck with it :lol: I was in high school in the early 80s and all that I remember was the hair (which I did not have.)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,542 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I am so f’ing grateful I'm not a teenager these days.

I was just telling my OH this AM that I liked 90's grunge and stuck with it :lol: I was in high school in the early 80s and all that I remember was the hair (which I did not have.)

I went for the the huge rock chick hair 🤣🤣 oh how stupid I looked. Not to mention how many cans or hairspray I got through. Got light blue streaks put in and school told me to leave until I removed them. Then I discovered nu-metal and grunge. Not sure that was a better look either!

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,670 Member

I wasn't pushing out my stomach, I just wasn't sucking it in. That was me just relaxed. I wasn't faking it to look bigger. If anything, the flexed pic is more false. 😔

Since then, I am probably up another ten pounds so it's even more of a difference now.

As I age and my wrinkles start to show, skin care isn't as smooth... It can be very tempting to go the way of filters. I try to avoid them as much as possible, otherwise I end up hating what I see in the mirror.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,670 Member

I don't know that I want to SEE progress pics at this point. My before and afters have swapped. 🤪

Though looking back to where I was when I thought I was in my "best shape", I now recognize why some of my friends were getting worried about me.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 857 Member

I don't know that I want to SEE progress pics at this point. My before and afters have swapped. 🤪

Though looking back to where I was when I thought I was in my "best shape", I now recognize why some of my friends were getting worried about me.

I just saw the pic you posted of yourself. Why are they worried? You’re an inspiration 👏🏻