do you have a weight loss goal for Jan 1st? Join me!

Options
So many people start a diet on Jan 1. But I'd like to reach a goal by Jan 1. Do you have a goal weight for Jan 1? If so, and you want motivation and support, chime in

Me:
started 6/1/21 212
Jan 1 goal:: 150
Current weight 179

pounds to lose 29 -
weeks available about 16
pounds to lose per week, about 1.8

Replies

• 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a goal for 31st Dec so basically yes! I want to get to 140lbs by then. I hope to get there by mid December really so that I can have a bit of buffer room for Christmas and New Year. I'm at 157lbs now so that gives me 3 months to lose 17lbs which is just over 1lb a week- might be doable but f I don't quite make it then no biggy, it just gives me a head start on the 'New Year, New Me' lot 😜
    Once I get to 140lbs I think I'll try and maintain for a while and focus on my fitness then try to lose another 10lbs or so by early summer.

HW 180.1...7th July 2021
    CW 156.6...14th Sept 2021
    GW 140.0... 31st Dec 2021
  • patriciafoley1
    patriciafoley1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    todays eight 178 twenty eight pounds to go
  • Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Alright I’m in!

Starting today at 218
    1/1 goal: 190
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    My goal isn’t very lofty. I’ve been happy that my weight has been going down little by little. I think it would be great to be out of an obese bmi by Jan 1st which is 8 pounds away. I think I can do that. If not even 5 pounds would be great for me. I’m going to give it more of a push during winter. I just know I won’t lose weight over Christmas!
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I’d be ecstatic to lose 15-20 lbs by the end of the year but given my current rate, that doesn’t appear to be doable, soooo… I’ll just be happy if the scale goes down. 😊
  • patriciafoley1
    Options
    Welcome everyone who has joined the discussion with a goal for the end of year. I am moving house, so packing, and discarding and donating. I burned a lot of calories this week for sure, but it hasn't left me much time to post. In a few more days, I will get through three more pickups, and can take a breather. Forgot to weigh this morning, too. So much is going on in my body, (sore muscles, dehydration, etc, not following my usual diet (helpers required pizza) that I'm not sure how reliable a weigh in would be anyway. Best wishes to everyone on the way to their goal, and I hope all this exercise gives me a good result as well!
  • Motiv8tedMom
    Motiv8tedMom Posts: 89 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Your post made me realize how soon January 1 is. I want to lose 35 pounds by January 1. I know I can do it but I don't know if I have the mindset to stick with it.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I’m a bit late to this but I’m in too! I have loads to lose and a mini goal will help a lot!

So this is me,

Started 9th September 2021 at (cringe) 322lbs
    Currently 314.8lbs
    Hoping to ultimately get below 180lbs
    January 1st goal 275lbs.

I know that’s a huge goal but with so much to lose and an absolute determination to get there I’m hoping I’ll smash it!

How often are we checking in? Weekly?

Good luck everyone!
  • patriciafoley1
    Options
    Welcome to Back_4_more, fatoldladyona and motiv8tedmom who've just joined the discussion.

Regarding the question of how often we should check in, well, some like to weigh weekly, some daily so why not do what motivates you best?

I'm sort of in-between. So long as I stay well under my calorie goal for the day and meet my exercise goal, I don't mark small fluctuations in weight. So if I weigh 166 on Monday, eat 1200 calories and burn 2200 that day, and if I weigh 166.4 the next day, I just wait till I drop below 166 to mark the next weight loss. So long as I'm well into a calorie deficit, I just consider any upticks a combination of sodium or exercise water retention. That works for me. I concentrate more on CICO and just log the next downturn.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Welcome to Back_4_more, fatoldladyona and motiv8tedmom who've just joined the discussion.

Regarding the question of how often we should check in, well, some like to weigh weekly, some daily so why not do what motivates you best?

I'm sort of in-between. So long as I stay well under my calorie goal for the day and meet my exercise goal, I don't mark small fluctuations in weight. So if I weigh 166 on Monday, eat 1200 calories and burn 2200 that day, and if I weigh 166.4 the next day, I just wait till I drop below 166 to mark the next weight loss. So long as I'm well into a calorie deficit, I just consider any upticks a combination of sodium or exercise water retention. That works for me. I concentrate more on CICO and just log the next downturn.

Thank you! I think I’m going to try to check in weekly then. Hopefully that’ll even put any fluctuations!
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost nearly 60 lbs in the last year and 1/2, for the 2nd time in 10 years. I have lost 20+ lbs maybe a 1/2 dozen times in my life. My Jan 1 goal is maintain or lose 5 more lbs. I’m losing or gaining always, unfortunately can never maintain for very long. Hopefully, since I’m new to MFP, this site will keep me focused and not gaining. January 1 is a good first step to maintaining, IMO!