The Miley Cyrus Eruption

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Isn't it nice there's nothing happening in Syria that might have the west firing off missiles against the wishes of the Russians, not to mention the Iranians, and that everyone in Egypt is happy so people can concentrate on what is really important.

We certianly do have our priorities in line don't we?
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Reposting this for all the people saying she's talentless. Yeah, it's a remake, but she has a beautiful voice when she's being serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw

And she's freaking adorable.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It wasn't sexy or edgy, it was sad. A sad little girl looking for attention
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm over it... I was really over it a few minutes after I watched the video (as I didn't watch the VMA's to begin with)...

I am more concerned with us possibly entering another war in the Middle East that we have no business going into...

^This. This times a million.

*sigh*
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    It wasn't sexy or edgy, it was sad. A sad little girl looking for attention

What was sad about it?

The fact that she has people talking about her?
    The fact that she makes millions off of that song?
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Isn't it nice there's nothing happening in Syria that might have the west firing off missiles against the wishes of the Russians, not to mention the Iranians, and that everyone in Egypt is happy so people can concentrate on what is really important.
    I tried stay away from politics in my previous post, but I could not have said it better! Agreed one hundred percent!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Wasn't offended by it and could care less.

My is most upsetting to me is that there is so much attention on this, yet no one gives a damn about things going on within the government and what's going on in the middle east right now.

That should be everyone's biggest concern!
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I thought she was quite entertaining. Entertaining to be the key word. She is a young girl having fun exploring her sexuality - and I would do it too if I had the spotlight and the body at that age. She isn't offending anyone, and if she is, maybe you should not be following her tweets on facebook, or watching MTV - because really, what she did was completely expected for the stage she was presented.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Oh and also in more important news. Neil Armstrong died at the age of 82.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Wasn't offended by it and could care less.

My is most upsetting to me is that there is so much attention on this, yet no one gives a damn about things going on within the government and what's going on in the middle east right now.

That should be everyone's biggest concern!
    ^^^^
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm over it... I was really over it a few minutes after I watched the video (as I didn't watch the VMA's to begin with)...

I am more concerned with us possibly entering another war in the Middle East that we have no business going into...
    First of all the "NOBODY CARES" crowd. I think it is pretty self evident that you are wrong. So many people care in fact that it has spilled over in to my life with such force that I am actually talking about it and as anyone who knows me will tell you I tend to gravitate toward conversations involving politics and religion.

As for the person I am quoting here. I completely see your point. The thing is I already have two strikes against me. If I were to talk about the extremely wasteful endeavor of going in to a country that has been engulfed in war for over 2000 years it would be a divisive topic and it would get locked down and it would put me at risk of writing something within that thread that could get me a third strike.

So in a way the moderators have trained me to play it safe and only talk about topics like this one.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    NOBODY CARES. And if they do, they have no life.

you cared enough to click this thread AND to respond. id say lots of people care. :)
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I dont think its so much shocking its more embarrasing becuase she is try WAY to hard to break from the disney channel imagin!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Who wants to talk about Syria or various political breakdowns in this country? Too serious. :grumble:

I think a woman expressing overt sexuality always brings a certain hypercritcial crowd to the yard. People who want to argue she must be on drugs or lack self respect. Also, in this instance the people who would "SSSHHH" the modesty crowd are like WTF, because Cyrus's performance was also crazy awkward . I don't think it was really that raunchy given the venue (the VMAs). It wasn't the Teen Choice Awards. But seriously, girl needs some twerking lessons or to embrace that she's not a very good dancer but dancing anyway. I mostly feel bad because it was a bad routine and people let her do it. Like, I didn't get the impression it was supposed to be a goofy play on ripping off your childhood -- but more a literal expression. Somebody, somewhere could have injected some humor into the whole thing or Cyrus could have appeared more self aware and like she was taking part in the joke. Also, the whole issue of using African American women as props (which is hardly new concept, side eye Gwen Stefani and her harajuku girls).

I mean yeah. I get why people are talking.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Oh and also in more important news. Neil Armstrong died at the age of 82.

Wasn't he someone's backing singer, that's terrible...................... I remember, it was the Police "Walking on the moon", knew I recognised the name :wink:
  • k8blujay2
    Options

As for the person I am quoting here. I completely see your point. The thing is I already have two strikes against me. If I were to talk about the extremely wasteful endeavor of going in to a country that has been engulfed in war for over 2000 years it would be a divisive topic and it would get locked down and it would put me at risk of writing something within that thread that could get me a third strike.

So in a way the moderators have trained me to play it safe and only talk about topics like this one.

Hahaha... I see your point. So I will stop right there... It's just frustrating that there are more important things going on in the world... and while I see the place that entertainment and controversy has in our culture.... DANG!!! Does it need to permeat our headlines for days? (granted I realize it's only been two mornings but still).... it's just not that critical... either let your kids watch or don't.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing, Soldier. I could care less, the crap rap music shocks me more than anything. Who wants to hear "Stanky b****" (segue after Miley)?

I remember when MTv played not only music, but GOOD music. That's why I love youtube. Spent Sunday night listening to a Burton Cummings special.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Who wants to talk about Syria or various political breakdowns in this country? Too serious. :grumble:

You're right, why would anyone bother about something that wasn't likely to affect them in any way when there are more important subjects.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Thank you for caring enough to write the OP.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You raise a very good point.

Perhaps it's because she, like many other celebrities, became famous as "innocent youth", and once they become older and try to shed the innocent image they original had, it's often over-the-top and shocking compared to the image they previously had.

Now, I'm also a little too young to know the process by which other stars did the same (other than Brittany Spears) so that might be why it's shocking to me. Shocking, but not surprising in the least. Perhaps it's shocking because of how completely vulgar, inartistic, distasteful and sloppy the performance was. I don't mind if a celebrity is wanting to do something shocking to get their name out there, but what she did just leaves a bad taste in your mouth opposed to just leaving you shocked and intrigued. Perhaps that's why people are shocked.

I also think that if it didn't shock ANYONE that would be a big problem - what kind of world would we be living in where explicit and vulgar sex acts on stage by a young girl whom is more than likely still idolized by many many children is normal and does not bother anyone? I guess we are already living in that kind of world, sadly.

ETA: Oh yeah, and Lindsay Lohan..and now Amanda Bynes...Xtina had her little stint too. I forgot about all these people - probably because I don't really care all that much about them. But I guess talking about them just disproves that last comment too :sad:

I wonder if it is really a case of these people being shocked because they a such good a decent people or is it more the case that they just want to be seen as good and decent people so they are acting shocked.

In my past I have started threads about conflicts in the middle east and the government overreaching with its authority and the responses are always things like, "Can we not talk about politics." this is my first thread about a pop culture event and I am seeing people coming out of the wood work suggesting that we talk about topics more in line with my regular threads like Syria.

Some of them might actually be people like me who enjoy talking about heavy topics but I am sure some of them are actually people who just want to be seen as deep people who care about heavy topics when in reality they don't care about politics and religion either. Since I can't distinguish this through the internet I generally give people the benefit of the doubt but I know it isn't 100% either way.