Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do you think?

Options

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    mourvedre wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    The US government ruled that ketchup is a vegetable. Ridiculous.

Most of the people running our government are vegetables, too. #justsaying

😝 so true
  • nooshi713
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

More detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

https://online.ucpress.edu/gastronomica/article/21/1/17/116213/Ketchup-as-a-VegetableCondiments-and-the-Politics

Related, since this is about school lunch, here are the CPS (a low-income school district) lunch and breakfast requirements for school-provided meals: https://www.cps.edu/services-and-supports/school-meals-and-nutrition/cps-nutrition-guidelines/

Here's the most recent K-8 menu. IMO, sure it seems to be attempting to appeal to kids, but there are real veg and fruit options, and I think trying to incorporate those into a menu the kids will eat isn't a bad idea. I don't think these menus are as bad as people often try to claim US school lunches are.

Personally, back in the '70s and '80s I disliked most of the school lunch options so would normally bring some kind of soup (with veg) in a thermos, some fruit, and a small dessert (I was super picky about bread and most sandwich options so didn't like sandwiches). Occasionally I would bring something like leftover turkey or chicken, maybe a bag of chips, some carrots and/or celery, and a small dessert. I think that was basically fine, even now.

Those guidelines don’t look too bad but are they sticking with it? And…..if ketchup is a vegetable, then those guidelines mean nothing.
  • nooshi713
    Options
    I work at a school and I am going to just chime in with some info here:

What schools provide have guidelines and restrictions (i.e. they are supposed to be 'nutritional/healthy') but LOTS of school districts are being run on a SHOESTRING budget. That limits what they can provide while TRYING to stick within those guidelines. Also - in many school districts (including mine), MANY students are on the free or reduced lunch programs. This further makes is difficult for schools to provide food to students (including take home food for evenings/weekends) that has high cost.

There are districts where students are coming from low income families and they buy what they can - which often isn't fresh/whole/nutritious food. They buy what's on sale, cheapest, or what they can use SNAP programs for.

I will never ever blame any parent for feeding their child. This is a problem that goes far beyond any individual parent and is far more systematic than people realize sometimes.

If people are interested in trying to help make a difference in the options for children, consider looking for ways to help organizations directly working on this issue:

Summer Food Service Program or No Kid Hungry.

This was a MAJOR issue during covid shutdowns last spring because instead of being worried about children going ~8 weeks without at least one meal per day --- we were worried from March - August. =(

I watched a documentary once where some people investigated the school lunch program in depth. I wish I could remember the name now but I can’t. They found a way to make school lunches healthier and taste better with better quality ingredients for the same budget but the lunch ladies were resistant to change. It made no sense.

Not all, but many kids offered fresh foods don’t even take them because they want to eat junk food that they are used to eating. It is possible to eat healthy on a low budget but this would require parents to change what they are used to eating and many parents are resistant to change too. I grew up poor and we ate relatively healthy so there is no excuse really.

My parents often wouldn’t let me eat the school lunch because it wasn’t healthy. I was also limited because a lot of the lunches had pork, and we are Muslim. I distinctly remember pepperoni and sausage pizza being served at least twice a week with no option for cheese even if i did want an occasional pizza lunch.

I brought turkey or tuna sandwiches, yogurt, soup, leftovers from dinner, carrots, fruits, etc. from home. Parents and schools can do a lot better. In high school, I remember a lot of kids having money to buy real lunch but choosing to spend it on candy, chips, and soda from vending machines. I’m not sure if schools nowadays have these items but I believe they shouldn’t. Given the choice, many kids will choose to eat the unhealthy food. It is sad.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

What schools provide have guidelines and restrictions (i.e. they are supposed to be 'nutritional/healthy') but LOTS of school districts are being run on a SHOESTRING budget. That limits what they can provide while TRYING to stick within those guidelines. Also - in many school districts (including mine), MANY students are on the free or reduced lunch programs. This further makes is difficult for schools to provide food to students (including take home food for evenings/weekends) that has high cost.

There are districts where students are coming from low income families and they buy what they can - which often isn't fresh/whole/nutritious food. They buy what's on sale, cheapest, or what they can use SNAP programs for.

I will never ever blame any parent for feeding their child. This is a problem that goes far beyond any individual parent and is far more systematic than people realize sometimes.

If people are interested in trying to help make a difference in the options for children, consider looking for ways to help organizations directly working on this issue:

This was a MAJOR issue during covid shutdowns last spring because instead of being worried about children going ~8 weeks without at least one meal per day --- we were worried from March - August. =(

I watched a documentary once where some people investigated the school lunch program in depth. I wish I could remember the name now but I can’t. They found a way to make school lunches healthier and taste better with better quality ingredients for the same budget but the lunch ladies were resistant to change. It made no sense.

Not all, but many kids offered fresh foods don’t even take them because they want to eat junk food that they are used to eating. It is possible to eat healthy on a low budget but this would require parents to change what they are used to eating and many parents are resistant to change too. I grew up poor and we ate relatively healthy so there is no excuse really.

My parents often wouldn’t let me eat the school lunch because it wasn’t healthy. I was also limited because a lot of the lunches had pork, and we are Muslim. I distinctly remember pepperoni and sausage pizza being served at least twice a week with no option for cheese even if i did want an occasional pizza lunch.

I brought turkey or tuna sandwiches, yogurt, soup, leftovers from dinner, carrots, fruits, etc. from home. Parents and schools can do a lot better. In high school, I remember a lot of kids having money to buy real lunch but choosing to spend it on candy, chips, and soda from vending machines. I’m not sure if schools nowadays have these items but I believe they shouldn’t. Given the choice, many kids will choose to eat the unhealthy food. It is sad.

Yes the do, even starting at the elementary-age level! I know my kids used to be able to buy one of those ice cream cups or sugary drinks with their prepaid lunch card in like 3rd grade. Now in middle school, I know my son sometimes buys cookies or rice krispie treats. He is a good eater, but has a sweet tooth. We don't typically buy prepackaged stuff like that, but will make them from scratch. I told him he could bring a healthier or homemade treat from home and add it to his lunch, but hasn't done so yet. He just now told me I need to remind him, which is probably true.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

More detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

https://online.ucpress.edu/gastronomica/article/21/1/17/116213/Ketchup-as-a-VegetableCondiments-and-the-Politics

Related, since this is about school lunch, here are the CPS (a low-income school district) lunch and breakfast requirements for school-provided meals: https://www.cps.edu/services-and-supports/school-meals-and-nutrition/cps-nutrition-guidelines/

Here's the most recent K-8 menu. IMO, sure it seems to be attempting to appeal to kids, but there are real veg and fruit options, and I think trying to incorporate those into a menu the kids will eat isn't a bad idea. I don't think these menus are as bad as people often try to claim US school lunches are.

Personally, back in the '70s and '80s I disliked most of the school lunch options so would normally bring some kind of soup (with veg) in a thermos, some fruit, and a small dessert (I was super picky about bread and most sandwich options so didn't like sandwiches). Occasionally I would bring something like leftover turkey or chicken, maybe a bag of chips, some carrots and/or celery, and a small dessert. I think that was basically fine, even now.

Those guidelines don’t look too bad but are they sticking with it? And…..if ketchup is a vegetable, then those guidelines mean nothing.

Yes, they follow them. And it appears they are not using ketchup as a veg.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Yes the do, even starting at the elementary-age level! I know my kids used to be able to buy one of those ice cream cups or sugary drinks with their prepaid lunch card in like 3rd grade. Now in middle school, I know my son sometimes buys cookies or rice krispie treats. He is a good eater, but has a sweet tooth. We don't typically buy prepackaged stuff like that, but will make them from scratch. I told him he could bring a healthier or homemade treat from home and add it to his lunch, but hasn't done so yet. He just now told me I need to remind him, which is probably true.

Increasingly vending machines or what can be bought from them has been regulated: https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/soda-at-school-more-districts-are-just-saying-no
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that children live on food like this.
    It's poison.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I have a 11year old and I can’t get him to be in the same room with vegetables. He just won’t eat them, and it’s not for a lack of trying.

None of my own kids ever ate vegetables willingly either. And I did an enormous amount of trying to hide them among other ideas. Thankfully they all eat lots of different foods now(probably more than me).
    It makes me sad that children live on food like this.
    It's poison.

Ok, while technically not poison, it can act like poison to some children, making them hyperactive, prone to diabetes and heart disease at earlier ages, etc., etc.. I think one of the worst side affects though is I feel that's what they'll end up wanting or craving. I grew up during the Koolaid and Devil Dog era. :( And even today, if I could have my way, I'd eat nothing but junk all the time.

Whilst the foods shown in the photos are not the most nutritious options - calling them poison is just silly hyperbole.

I've seen my share of 'you sent *THAT* in your child's lunchbox??' choices. It's really hard to keep your mouth shut when growing children are living on Pepperoni, potato chips and chocolate milk. Not only food choices make me SMH but when children get home from their day at school, they'll spend hours tuning into screens and tuning out of interaction or physical activity.
    When I operated an in home daycare, we'd spend as much time as possible outside. What we fed them was determined by what the state told us if we wanted to be on the food program. It's a multiple set of needs to help keep children healthy. Nothing more than the basics as for all of us....sleep, healthy food and exercise.
    But so many times tired, stressed out over-worked parents will do what's easy and quick.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was a child of the 1980s and went to school in a small town with a strong German and Czech ancestry. The lunch ladies made lunches homemade virtually every day - homemade gravies, yeast rolls, cobbler, fresh vegetables, etc. I remember in high school a few of our lunch ladies grilled the burgers outside on a grill! As these ladies got older and retired, there were fewer and fewer cafeteria workers that cared about the food as those sweet lunch ladies. My junior and senior year of high school, I either brought my lunch every day or ate a large salad or stuffed baked potato from the snack bar. We all missed those homemade lunches ...

I think I raised my two boys (now 19 and 22) to be food snobs of a sort. They actually like grocery shopping and preparing food! They read food labels and do the tsk, tsk when they see something like hydrogenated anything, etc. While my youngest is not the best veggie and fruit eater, my oldest is adventurous. I can count on him to at least try new things.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    more_oomph wrote: »
    absolutely shocking

when did they bring back dunkaroos!

I am not sure they ever went away.
    That said? I am half tempted to purchase this stylish bag.

xl2gr1fjnsey.jpeg
    https://shop.dunkaroos.com/collections/merch/products/belt-bag