Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do you think?

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    g1m0y4pzo8ha.jpg0katyxh4uwsr.jpg

These are typical lunches I see on my students consume everyday.

Curious if you are concerned or not at all?

Close to child abuse if the same kids are eating like that every day.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I have done years of child care. And gone through actual child abuse cases. Involving the stuff of nightmares.

Yes. This diet, if it is daily fare, is sub-optimal.
    No. It is not even close to abusive.

My wife has a long career in education so I am familiar with the "official" definition of child abuse.

Of course there isn't immediate physical/psychological damage from eating this stuff occasionally.

If a habit, this will most likely lead to a lifetime of obesity and poor health, i.e., long term impact.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

I have done years of child care. And gone through actual child abuse cases. Involving the stuff of nightmares.

My wife has a long career in education so I am familiar with the "official" definition of child abuse.

Of course there isn't immediate physical/psychological damage from eating this stuff occasionally.

If a habit, this will most likely lead to a lifetime of obesity and poor health, i.e., long term impact.

If one doesn't like the term child abuse for this substitute child neglect.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I was with you until you chose the words "most likely"...

I used the term "most likely" because absolutes get one in trouble. Almost everyone has heard about someone's great uncle Joe or great aunt Edna that has smoked cigs for 80 years and no lung cancer, can it happen, yes, but not likely.

• Theoldguy1
    Options

And of course online posting of a child's photo for the purpose of shaming them and their family will "most likely" have no negative impact at all?

Not part of my discussion point.

Don't think the kid should have been part of the picture, but that doesn't negate the point, this type of food, served on a regular basis, for a child's lunch, will most likely impact their long term health.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

If one doesn't like the term child abuse for this substitute child neglect.

If leaving your infant in their car seat all weekend and not changing their diaper - resulting in a combination diaper rash and bedsore - (from one of the actual cases I testified in) doesn’t constitute neglect, then feeding your child a hot dog and some sugary yoghurt definitely doesn’t.

(the parents did lose custody a year later, after even worse…)

Don't really give a *kitten* what the court calls neglect. Feeding a child that crap on a regular basis is neglect in my book and the book of anyone that has any common sense.

::shrug::

Personal opinion that this food is unhealthy doesn’t make it neglect.

As has been pointed out here already:
    1) We don’t know what these children eat at home.
    2) Posting this picture without parental permission is a big problem.
    3) It’s food. And enough of it.
    4) Shaming parents who are very likely doing their best under very difficult circumstances is really not OK.

Check what the CDC and USDA has to say about this type of food on a regular basis.

The scientists working for those organizations are smarter than anyone posting on here about nutrition. No knock to anyone on here, just fact.