Less Alcohol ~ OCTOBER 2021 ~ One Day At A Time 🍁

Options

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Last week of the month is here!

Mission accomplished yesterday - had 2 servings of wine last night and stopped by 6pm. Eating a bit before helped as did the whole bottle of mineral water I guzzled. The full-and-satisfied sensation kicks in and I just don't feel like continuing to drink alcohol. It's a different story when I am running on an empty stomach.

Husband stuck to the rules too. We'll repeat today with me shooting for 1.5 - easy to do using a small-ish glass and pouring less than 4 oz. I'll just trick myself by drinking water before and during.

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    @ahoy_m8
    Love the pictures! Thank you for sharing your experience. Looks like quite a few hikes that look difficult given the elevation and distance. I would love to hear more about your On Foot Holidays. Were the instructions very good? The transfers to hotels for your luggage smooth? Would you book another trip through them?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,654 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I am continuing with my usual goals, 16-20 AF days per month.
    Diary style

Thursday October 21 - Drinks - Had a great day, then a hike, then a couple of drinks with my friend that I went hiking with.
    Friday October 22 - AF - Rainy and kind of yucky. A Grand Marnier would have been nice, but I am heading into split shifts again, so didn't.
    Saturday October 23 - AF - Rough long day at work with only a 45 minute break in between shifts - felt like having a drink, didn't.
    Sunday October 24 - 2 drinks. Still planning on making my 16AF minimum for the month.
    Monday October 25 - AF. I worked only day shift today, so had time to get the rest of my harvested beets trimmed and peeled to be cooked in the morning before work. Such an exciting life lol. I will be AF tomorrow for sure too.

Rolling total - 14AF days out of 25 days.
  • Lilylady3k
    edited October 2021
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Finally, they provided a local contact and use the location app “what3words” in case help is needed. We didn’t need it, but it’s a really cool idea. I think we would use them again. It was a little cumbersome on the front end getting all the hotels set up, and the pricing wasn’t very transparent, but the people were nice and the service was good. I kind of tear up when I think about how beautiful it was.

@ahoy_m8 - I've been looking at both Backroads and On Foot Holidays and really curious about the experience difference especially since one is much more expensive than the other. I have multiple friends that used Backroads and said it was great ... hotels, guides, the small group of people going at their own pace but support along the way, pricing was accurate, extra adventures wine tasting/meals, cooking classes were awesome and included in price. But not sure I want to be in a group ... hence looking at On Foot Holidays. Interesting that On Foot Holidays the pricing wasn't transparent (hmmm was something not included that you expected?) and the issue with setting up hotels. Good to know. Love that they gave you the routes to track and paper instructions "in case".

Thanks for sharing!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Finally, they provided a local contact and use the location app “what3words” in case help is needed. We didn’t need it, but it’s a really cool idea. I think we would use them again. It was a little cumbersome on the front end getting all the hotels set up, and the pricing wasn’t very transparent, but the people were nice and the service was good. I kind of tear up when I think about how beautiful it was.

@ahoy_m8 - I've been looking at both Backroads and On Foot Holidays and really curious about the experience difference especially since one is much more expensive than the other. I have multiple friends that used Backroads and said it was great ... hotels, guides, the small group of people going at their own pace but support along the way, pricing was accurate, extra adventures wine tasting/meals, cooking classes were awesome and included in price. But not sure I want to be in a group ... hence looking at On Foot Holidays. Interesting that On Foot Holidays the pricing wasn't transparent (hmmm was something not included that you expected?) and the issue with setting up hotels. Good to know. Love that they gave you the routes to track and paper instructions "in case".

Thanks for sharing!

I'd guess the biggest difference is, as you note, being alone or part of a group. Also, I wouldn't assume too much about the price until you spec out exactly what you want (upgrading hotels, extra days, etc.) The transparency issue was only on getting things set up on the front end. There were no surprises after the package was set. I also have a group of friends that do Backroads together annually. My cousin calls it "Bank of Backroads" because whenever they comp you, it's a credit for a future trip. :D Some people thrive on the social nature of the group trip. Will be interested to hear what kind of trip you put together!
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 - "Bank of Backroads" LOL well that explains it ... since the ones that I know go on 5-7 trips a year traveling all over the world do at least one Backroads trip each year. But I can't keep up with those Jones.
    Thanks for the insight.