Lost

Options
124»

Replies

• homerunbetty
    Options
    I'd offer my 2 cents worth, as a nearly 42 year old who lost 30 lbs and has kept it off for over 18 months, but you seem to have a death grip on what your nutritionist has prescribed, your "research", your boxing, and unfortunately for you, your lack of results. Someone has said you are "rude" and I disagree. I think you are just locked in to what you think is the best system and not really ready to try changes. TDEE is good. Changing your exercise routine may be a great place. Remember that not everyone with a job title is a knock out at their chosen profession. Liscenced or not. If you're not getting working options, something needs to change.

I've heard it said that if you keep doing the same things over and over, you keep getting similar results. I hope the best for you. I know that feeling uncomfortable in your own skin stinks.

Oh I am not locked into what my nutritionist prescribed. I am not following that plan any longer as it did not work for me. The workouts we do in boxing is not the same thing. It is different circuits each day. I guess I should have clarified that as I can see how people would think I am strictly "boxing" for an hour. We do circuits Wolfe used in training (2 minutes on, 30 seconds off) between each "station" working various parts of our body. When I was a power lifter, we would work different parts of our body on different days.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 23 years...I just sent you a FR. If you ever want other ways to get protein (and I'm not knocking you for eating fish, I believe to each their own!) feel free to look at my diary.

:)
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well dont take this the wrong way.. but I WISH I was 152lbs right about now and I'm 5"6'..I guess Im trying to bring light that it could be worse. What is MFP telling you to eat(calories). Maybe Im lost on how are you tracking and why such a specific menu? If you dont track then how do you know what you r burn off and what you comsume. Sounds like to me your body is starving....:huh: Thats a lot of exercise for your body to go thru without refueling it foro what it needs to actually live. Good Luck to your though!

Okay...here it goes...for those of you that are NOT reading through the posts and only reading the very first post...

I am 5'5"
    I weigh 152 lbs.
    I am 42 years old
    I weighed, photographed and measured my entire body and provided it to a certified nutritionist.
    I received a nutrition plan from my nutritionist, which also included an exercise program and supplement list.
    I do not log my food because I only eat what is on my list. I precook my food and bring it everywhere with me.
    I drink water.
    I exercise at a gym.
    I box for an hour a day with a professional boxer.
    I am a vegetarian. I eat fruits, vegetables, eggs, cheese and fish.
    I am not a Vegan.
    I am not a Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian.
    I typically do not cheat during my "cheat" time.
    If I do cheat, it may be with something like chips and hot sauce, or frozen yogurt or ice cream.
    I do not become a glutton during my cheat time and consume mass amounts of food for 45 minutes straight like some crazed animal.

How do I find out what MFP thinks I should eat? I am new to this site. Yes, I created an account long ago and just started using it today. Therefore, I have not had the opportunity to look around the site to see what is what.

yous should be able to go into your settings and change/update. When you first signed up though it ask you this and on your mainpage it tells you. There is a turtorial on the site as well. Hope this helps!
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Definition of insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

There are a lot of incredibly bright and encouraging people on MFP who are willing to give of their time, experience, and offer advice when asked. I suggest: take what you want, leave what you don't, and be grateful to the many people who have given of their time to try and help.

In the medical field, second opinions are sought often to determine the best provider of care. You might consider this with your nutritionist. I showed the suggested diet to a couple of our nutritionists and their responses were "ludicrous." Again, choose what works for you.

You and I have similarities. I am 51, have had twins, and have participated in weight loss programs and followed diets in the past that worked for me. I was a practicing pescatarian for over a decade, and still enjoy eating that way although I now eat limited amounts of meats. At my age, my metabolism has changed and my nutritional needs have changed. I lost 11 pounds between March and May by following my old weight loss plans, then quickly regained those pounds plus more because I ultimately screwed up my metabolism. I now have some very encouraging MFP friends who are challenging what I have done in the past, making suggestions on diet and exercise, and it is making the biggest difference in the way I feel, my energy level, and subsequent slow but steady weight loss. Our bodies change with time, and we have to
    adjust.

If you want to try something different and stop the insanity, I offer my friendship on this journey.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What's are your daily macro nutrient targets?

Judging from what you listed it sounds like you could be high on carbs and low on fats and protein. People should get a minimum of about 0.4 grams per pound of body weight. Granted it's all about total calories but having a macro nutrient imbalance could cause body composition and hormonal issues that make weight loss harder.

You do eat fish and eggs so that should help. Though IMHO, I wouldn't throw the yolks away. That's where the best nutrients are, including Omega 3.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    in addition to the advice to actually count your calories accurately, I would add that it's best to find out what your BMR & TDEE are. Don't eat less than your BMR, take about 20% off your TDEE and eat that for at least a month and see where you are. (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/) Also, you can look here for more advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

^^This. If you're working out that hard and that often, and only eating 1200 calories a day - well, that definitely explains your plateau. Read the above website and see how that helps you. I had the same problems on 1200 calories, and eventually started gaining. You have to feed your body :-)

This.

I am also a vegetarian. I started out on the 1200 only calories and was working out 5-6 days a week. Though it sounds like your workouts are much tougher than what I was doing. It seems to me that you might actually need to eat more. I lost weight for awhile and then stopped on the 1200 calories because I had to start upping how much I was eating because my body needed fuel. Your car can't go very far on $10 of gas, your body can't go far on that little fuel. I know it contradicts all we ever hear is "to lose weight eat less and move more" that may be true at first if you have a lot to lose, but it will stop.

I highly agree with the above. I have just recently switched to the TDEE-20% method and am finding it's helping me.

I log every single thing I put into my protein shake, I log everything I take period.

I greatly appreciate your comments. I have no clue what the TDEE method is and will need to research this more. I am willing to try anything at this point. My father died of a massive heart attack when he was only 52 years old. My mother died of kidney failure due to not maintaing her diabetes properly. I do not have any health issues and want to keep it that way. I have 10 year old twins and want to be there for them as long as God allows. We bring our kiddos to boxing with us each day. They love The Wolfe and she is good with them showing them how to modify the workouts for their age. We are honored to have the opportunity to work out with a heavy weight world champ!

Please check out the In Place of a Road Map threads and group! I use this calculator to help me set my calorie goals (2000/day is my TDEE -10% and it seems you workout harder than I do):

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ You'll probably be surprised with how much you should be eating to actually lose weight and keep it off.

I changed my MFP settings to that amount of calories with a macro split of 35% protein 35% carbs and 30% fat and I don't record my exercise calories burned.

Best of luck!
  • homerunbetty
    Options
    Thank you both for your comments. I truly appreciate it. After my 4 weeks of being on my nutrition plan, I stopped. I was gaining weight and not loosing. I was not going to waist another penny on another nutrition plan for the same thing. I have a friend at work that used this guy and she had the same plan I did except a few things were changed out (chicken for fish, oatmeal for grits, apple for watermelon) but it was the same plan.

I logged my first day of food last night and was SHOCKED when I saw 59% carbs! I was under my caloric intake, but could not believe the amount of carbs in my diet.

I am reviewing the "Map Plan" to receive the correct information.

I am willing to take any advice from someone that is willing to help in a positive manner.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your comments. I truly appreciate it. After my 4 weeks of being on my nutrition plan, I stopped. I was gaining weight and not loosing. I was not going to waist another penny on another nutrition plan for the same thing. I have a friend at work that used this guy and she had the same plan I did except a few things were changed out (chicken for fish, oatmeal for grits, apple for watermelon) but it was the same plan.

I logged my first day of food last night and was SHOCKED when I saw 59% carbs! I was under my caloric intake, but could not believe the amount of carbs in my diet.

I am reviewing the "Map Plan" to receive the correct information.

I am willing to take any advice from someone that is willing to help in a positive manner.

I think exchanging out the carbs for fat and protein is a step in the right direction. I'm not anti-carb. I'm just pro getting the minimum recommendations of the 3 macro nutrients. It also helps with appetite control.

Carbohydrates are the macro nutrient that's the least essential to get minimum targets. We can live without carbs, but not protein and fat.
  • homerunbetty
    Options
    Any suggestions on exchanges?

Yesterday, I had

Breakfast: english muffin with egg white and cheese, cold Starbuck's Mocha for my coffee (the ones you buy at the grocery store)
    Snack: 1 c. watermelon
    Lunch: Spinach leaves, Italian shredded cheese, 4 croutons, Caesar dressing
    Snack: Quacker's Mini Rice Cakes (1 serving)
    Supper: three homemade tortillas, vegetarian refried beans, shredded cheese
    Snack: Honey Roasted Peanuts

I am also wondering if my "retainage" could be from the sugar I use in my coffee and tea. I suffer from migraines and cannot use sugar substitutes and have to use real sugar.
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for being open to change! I've read every post, and this hasn't been pretty, but sometimes it does take some harsh words to make a point. I'm glad you stuck with the entire thread.

Also, thank you for being so detailed in you foods for yesterday. I have some suggestions.

1. Breakfast: I agree with a previous poster that you should use the entire egg. I think you are missing out on important nutrients.

2. Lunch: I would add more protein and fat here. Glass of milk? Is your Caesar dressing full fat? If so, you should be fine on the fat here. In general, I think you are light on fat, most of it (all?) coming from cheese. Your body really does need fat to function.

3. Snack: With the rice cake, I think you have to have some protein. What about adding some hummus? You could also substitute celery for the rice cake (less processed).

Real sugar is fine. I personally don't eat sugar substitutes or lo-fat items. I'd rather eat real food. What about using honey instead of sugar or agave nectar if you are opposed to sugar?

Good luck to you! And congrats again for sticking with this site. It really is great, but you do have to read comments from people who aren't necessarily nice. Just ignore them. It's less stressful!