Help with 5 Month Plateau - Tried Everything

Options
Started fitness+weightloss Oct 2020. For the first 5 months I tried for -1000cal per day and lost 1-2kg per month. Since April 2021 I have been in a plateau. I tried a number of things for a few weeks each: upping protein, cutting carbs, exercising more (a lot more), dropping to -1500 then -2000 calorie per day, I tried changing exercise routines, I tried intermittent fasting, I tried a break from dieting. Nothing has got the scale or body measuremets to budge.

Tech details:
* my BMR is 1800 calories according to MFP
* I use a HR monitor with a garmin to track calories burned
* I weigh myself each day using bodyfat scale (not the most professional one though)
* I include calories burned directly from garmin each day into my net calorie count
* I avg about 4-5 hours jogging/cycling a week
* My body measurements are also plateaued
* I weigh almost all of my food on MFP
* One day a week I can't input for religious reasons but I don't go silly....

Surely something should be budging or should be wrong? Any help?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't calculate BMR, so where is that number coming from?

For the one day a week when you can't use the app - you don't have to get into the details if you don't want, but I'm assuming it's something along the lines of how orthodox Jews aren't supposed to "do any work" on their sabbath, which includes things like cooking or operating machinery like elevators, yeah? Can you log your day's food in advance, then just stick to that plan day-of? If you're not allowed to use your phone/computer at all during that time, maybe write down what you logged on paper the day before so you can refer to that. I've found a lot of success with planning/prepping/portioning things in advance, so in the moment I can just grab a container, eat what's in it, and know I've already budgeted those calories without having to think about it.

Not that it matters but you can calculate your bmr on here under apps and bmr.

In case anyone wants to. :)
  • arisilbermann
    arisilbermann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    * I weigh almost all of my food on MFP

That’s the first thing that jumps out at me. What are you not weighing? Condiments, sauces, spreads can be calorie laden.

I was serving lunch to a passle of artists at a street festival this weekend and we had several bottles of salad dressing. I’ve been a zero cal dressing user for ages now, so was staggered to see that these dressings were 150-180 calories per serving. And folks were just dumping them all over their little tong-ful of salad greens.

The classic comment here how shocked people were to see what a true, weighed serving of peanut butter is.

Are you counting soft drinks? Wine? Beer? Fancy coffee drinks?

I can’t make head nor tail of how you’re defining your calorie allotments above, so can’t comment as to that.

Thanks for this. I weigh most condiments and sometimes eyeball it. Counting softdrinks. Here and there I eyeball some things I have experience with...again my deficit is around -1000 so my eyeballing wouldn't be that wrong...
  • arisilbermann
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It would help if you told us your height, age, current weight, and the nature of your job and exercise. (Fitness trackers are more reliable guides for some activities, vs. others.)

It would help if you'd open your MFP food diary, if only for a few days, so some of the experienced folks could assess the possibility of logging issues.

(That last is not a dig: Logging is a skill set that takes practice and refinement based on experience and learning. Since you're not getting the results you expect, that's one possible source of variation, so it would be helpful to either be able to suggest refinements to you that might help your data precision, or to rule out possibilities of logging being a significant source of variation. Calorie counting is a data-driven weight management method, the log is the main data, so some precision there can be helpful, if things aren't working out as expected).

Thanks for this. I've made it public. Height 171cm, weight 99kg (started at 109), using garmin connect and fr45 and h10hrm for tracking exercise. I do mainly desk work with some teaching although it's a standing desk. I set my mfp to maintain weight and then strive for the minus calories. I run/cycle about 3 times a week for about 1 hour and then agaim for about 2 hours. Usually low intensity jogging. Some strength work and speed work.

Any insights would be great. Thanks
  • arisilbermann
    Options
    MFP doesn't calculate BMR, so where is that number coming from?

For the one day a week when you can't use the app - you don't have to get into the details if you don't want, but I'm assuming it's something along the lines of how orthodox Jews aren't supposed to "do any work" on their sabbath, which includes things like cooking or operating machinery like elevators, yeah? Can you log your day's food in advance, then just stick to that plan day-of? If you're not allowed to use your phone/computer at all during that time, maybe write down what you logged on paper the day before so you can refer to that. I've found a lot of success with planning/prepping/portioning things in advance, so in the moment I can just grab a container, eat what's in it, and know I've already budgeted those calories without having to think about it.

Thanks. By BMR I mean the base calories which mfp has to which are added about 600 calories usually throughout day excluding exercise. I will try finding ways to stay on a plan on that day...but some thoughts - I still moderate my eating then, and it certainly can't be a calorie overshoot of 5000 calories...but I will do and report back thanks.
  • arisilbermann
    Options
    If you haven’t lost then you aren’t in a deficit. That day off is likely a culprit as you have no idea how much you are eating. Logging inaccuracies and oversetimating exercise calories also likely to contribute.

Change one of those things then reassess after about 4 weeks. For example, try and log the day you aren’t logging. You may be surprised at how much a day of eating all the things can cancel out a deficit. Especially if you don’t have a lot of weight to lose. Or try eating back less of your exercise calories.

Thanks. The day I don't log isn't a day off just unrecorded. But maybe that is the culprit. Do you think garmin connect with a chest strap is inaccurate? That may be. Also does anyone have ideas about level of inaccuracy of mfp? How to get around it?
  • DeesPancakes
    DeesPancakes Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Good gravy 😮, you're in a deficit of 1,000 calories? I'd start feeling ill after a month after being in such a great deficit, and would probably give in to a serious binge and go back to my old ways. Not an expert here but, maybe a deficit as large as that can cause metabolic damage?

You've also stated you sometime go as much as -1,500 or even -2,000. Theres no way that can be good for you in any way. I'd be worried about your body burning its own muscle just to keep alive 😬
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @arisilbermann
    What do you do for work? Is it labor-intensive? I see you are using a Garmin. The days where Garmin has given you 1100-2300 in exercise calories...I'd question that. Most people won't burn that much without several hours of sustained hard exercise. Take those numbers with caution.

Couple things:
    1. Congratulations, you're eating at your Maintenance calories. So, cut lower than that, or really make sure your accuracy is dialed in.
    2. Garmin (and Myfitnesspal) use standard algorithms to calculate. Your personal actual calorie usage may be higher or lower in reality. The technology is no substitute for your personal habits, accuracy and ability to adapt. So - do that! Accuracy, record-keeping and consistency. Give it a month then you'll have your own data-set from which to work.

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Profile says male
    96y1uphkapws.png
  • cmriverside
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise

Thanks, I should probably have coffee before posting. (I edited)
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise

Thanks, I should probably have coffee before posting. (I edited)

ALWAYS coffee first LOL :)
  • DeesPancakes
    DeesPancakes Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    09ci00nbvdfr.jpg

What do you disagree with? Or did I misunderstand something?

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    09ci00nbvdfr.jpg

I wasn't the one who disagreed, but perhaps this is the reason someone else did:
    A 1000 calorie deficit can be excessive or not, depending on the circumstances. It's equivalent to a weight loss rate of 2lbs per week, which can be appropriate for some people. OP weighs 218 lbs, a rate of 2lbs per week isn't extreme if you go by the guideline of a weight loss rate of 0.5-1% of bodyweight per week.
    And whether or not a deficit of 1000 calories will make someone feel ill and cause them to binge also depends on the circumstances (for example: a deficit of 1000 calories when your TDEE is 3000 calories isn't the same as a when your TDEE is 1600 calories).

Personally I agree though that a deficit of 1500 or 2000 doesn't sound like a good idea in this case.
  • arisilbermann
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    09ci00nbvdfr.jpg

I wasn't the one who disagreed, but perhaps this is the reason someone else did:
    A 1000 calorie deficit can be excessive or not, depending on the circumstances. It's equivalent to a weight loss rate of 2lbs per week, which can be appropriate for some people. OP weighs 218 lbs, a rate of 2lbs per week isn't extreme if you go by the guideline of a weight loss rate of 0.5-1% of bodyweight per week.
    And whether or not a deficit of 1000 calories will make someone feel ill and cause them to binge also depends on the circumstances (for example: a deficit of 1000 calories when your TDEE is 3000 calories isn't the same as a when your TDEE is 1600 calories).

Personally I agree though that a deficit of 1500 or 2000 doesn't sound like a good idea in this case.

Thanks for this thought. Some answers here suggested further cutting calories so that would take me to 1500 a day or more. Why do you think it isn't a good idea here? Do you thoughts about likely cause for my issue here?
  • cmriverside
    edited October 2021
    Options
    09ci00nbvdfr.jpg

Thanks for this thought. Some answers here suggested further cutting calories so that would take me to 1500 a day or more. Why do you think it isn't a good idea here? Do you thoughts about likely cause for my issue here?

I was one who said, "Congrats, you're eating at Maintenance."

Because you are. If you haven't lost weight in five months, you have effectively established your Maintenance calories.

Your calorie intake/deficit...is only true IF
    1. You are logging everything you eat (and even that off day) and you're using accurate food entries (that match the labels and/or a reputable nutrition list)
    2. Your Garmin is set up correctly to give you a reasonable match to your daily Activity Level plus Exercise

Here: read this: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

...and: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

My guess is that you aren't logging accurately, and/or you are counting on a number derived from a device or an online calculator. Do your own experiment over TIME, and use your own habits, logging and common sense to guide you after that. You can come up with your own numbers by this method. It's what we all have to do in the end. Online calculations and body devices are helpful and not helpful, depending on your individual usage.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    09ci00nbvdfr.jpg

To make sure we're talking about the same thing: I'm talking about your calorie deficit - the difference between total calories burned in a day and how many calories you're actually consuming. A deficit of 1500 is the equivalent of losing 3lbs/1.4kg a week, which is too agressive for someone who weighs 99kg.
    The problem is, of course, that what I'm saying relates to your actual TDEE and calorie consumption. If you're using your Garmin as a starting point for your TDEE, it may or may not be accurate (greater or smaller actual deficit). And if your logging isn't accurate, that could also make your deficit greater or smaller than intended. So that's where the idea comes from to cut calories: you're burning less than you think/consuming more than you think and your deficit isn't what you think it is.

You also mention trying a series of strategies to get out of your plateau, but I'm wondering if you stuck to them long enough. Sometimes it takes more than a few weeks to spot progress between the normal daily weight fluctuations.
  • arisilbermann
    Options
    09ci00nbvdfr.jpg

To make sure we're talking about the same thing: I'm talking about your calorie deficit - the difference between total calories burned in a day and how many calories you're actually consuming. A deficit of 1500 is the equivalent of losing 3lbs/1.4kg a week, which is too agressive for someone who weighs 99kg.
    The problem is, of course, that what I'm saying relates to your actual TDEE and calorie consumption. If you're using your Garmin as a starting point for your TDEE, it may or may not be accurate (greater or smaller actual deficit). And if your logging isn't accurate, that could also make your deficit greater or smaller than intended. So that's where the idea comes from to cut calories: you're burning less than you think/consuming more than you think and your deficit isn't what you think it is.

You also mention trying a series of strategies to get out of your plateau, but I'm wondering if you stuck to them long enough. Sometimes it takes more than a few weeks to spot progress between the normal daily weight fluctuations.

Yes I hear what your saying...going on my first 5 months when I was at a (theoretical mfp/garmin) deficit of 1000 calories per day or say 6000 per week give or take I lost 1-2kg per month. That means very roughly that my actual deficit was more like 10000 calories a month and say 2500 a week or 300-400 a day. So it could just be that I've plateaued because of minor changes and therefore need to increase my 'theoretical mfp/garmin' deficit to 1500 but which may be more like 500 or 600 in real terms...