Calories after puking?

Options
I wasn't feeling well today and I ended up letting go of an entire dinner immediately in flying colors but I'm not sure how I should log my calories. (I have acid reflux so it was pretty/ugly bad) If I retained half of the calories should I eat some back in ice cream or should I just assume I had all of my calories and go to sleep? (its almost 2 am now) I don't think I can eat any solids right now because my stomach is unsettled and I'm too tired to find an open store with healthy foods as there will be none besides convenient stores and they only sell instant food.

Replies

• needtoloseafewpounds
    needtoloseafewpounds Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You're sick. Just rest up and start up again when you're better. 2-3 days isn't going to hurt anyone.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    You're sick. Just rest up and start up again when you're better. 2-3 days isn't going to hurt anyone.

That's true. I shouldn't make any new problems to my already existing problem. I'm too tired to eat now anyway :) Well I'm off to bed then, Thanks for helping me decide! :heart:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned over how many calories you should count after puking, you may want to examine your relationship with food and weight loss.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    If you are that concerned over how many calories you should count after puking, you may want to examine your relationship with food and weight loss.

yes.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    odd
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • glheureux56
    Options
    Dont record any. Even though there was some asorption, you need to focus on getting better rather than weight loss. Just get back on track when you feel better.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Um, yeah ^THIS^
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This has come up SO many times over the last 3 years on MFP.. I've wondered it myself and have had several friends who are all healthy and have a healthy relationship with food.

What I do is go back and only count a quarter of the calories, and then go to bed, as with being sick you need your rest. And don't worry about it.

I hope you feel better.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Unless I read OP wrong, I think she means that she is wondering if she should log all the calories for the meal she just expended, or not log the calories since the body didn't take them all in.

It's not that she doesn't have a good relationship with food, it's that she doesn't know if she should eat back those calories her body rejected for whatever reason.

If you are sick with the flu, you'll be eating less regardless, so I wouldn't worry about it at all until you are better and feeling like you can eat normally again without throwing it all up. If it's a one time "it didn't agree with me" thing, then I'm really not sure.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick and pukey the last thing on my mind is calorie intake. You need more energy when sick. Rest, drink lots of water and eat some soup or crackers. Pick up where you left off when you are feeling better.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Ive tossed a few cookies after a heavy workout. :grumble:

I don't worry about their logging or getting them back. :noway:

Hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • urbliss777
    Options
    Eat when your body can. If Acid reflex is something you suffer from then see a doctor. Unless you have and this is something you have to deal with. If this is something that your Doctor cannot help with and it happens often then ask your doctor what you should do to keep nutrients in your body.

About the Ice cream comment. No.. Eat something more healthy if you want to eat back the calories. I understand it was late and you are not up for eating solids. Look at certain shakes like protein shakes or ensure (speak to your doctor). They can let you know what is best for next time this happens. Good that you just slept instead.

Also the comment " If you are that concerned over how many calories you should count after puking, you may want to examine your relationship with food and weight loss. " they are correct.

Unless this is a condition that you are living with. Like I know some people who are unlucky to just have it and the doctors are unsure why. It is hard for them to eat daily.

Remember, It is about living and eating "healthy" not about what size you are.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    To those who are going to jump at me for wondering if I should force some extra calories in, you guys obviously have problems.
    I'm too sick to eat and I figured that maybe I should have some calories to at least stay in my caloric goal.
    I'm not feeling well and at least I gave a flying fudge about my own well being unlike some of you folk.
    Thanks again for caring. (sarcasm. In case you need it spelled for you)
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you're really concerned, you can puke in a bag instead, take everything out and put it back on a scale and eat that much worth. Probably the closest thing.

It might be hard to decipher what's what though. Also you'd have to factor in the weight of acid absorbed in the food as well.

Not srs.
  • jamiscott1977
    jamiscott1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dont record any. Even though there was some asorption, you need to focus on getting better rather than weight loss. Just get back on track when you feel better.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that you should relax.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with you asking the question. Although I have been signed up for a long time, it's only recently that I have really worked to be precise about recording my intake. Trying hard to be responsible can sometimes lead to over-thinking.

So, congrats on trying to be precise for best results. But, for now, feeling better trumps calorie count.

Be sure to hydrate and eat "gently" until your tummy is better. :)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    To those who are going to jump at me for wondering if I should force some extra calories in, you guys obviously have problems.
    I'm too sick to eat and I figured that maybe I should have some calories to at least stay in my caloric goal.
    I'm not feeling well and at least I gave a flying fudge about my own well being unlike some of you folk.

When sick, counting calories should be the last thing on your mind. Rest and eat what you can keep down and plenty of fluids is all you should be concerned with.

And OP, in the future just use the sarcasm font.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

How old are you?