Calories after puking?

Options

Replies

• crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    once you eat something you have absorbed those calories, regardless if you throw up or have diarrhea. Just get better.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If I am sick I don't log. When I get better, I go back and write in the notes section that I was sick. After I know I can keep things down, and I'm feeling a bit better, then I will start logging again.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've been "sick" twice since I started logging. Once I made pancakes with expired buttermilk. I wound up NOT keeping all my food down and since this was the day before my weigh-in I posted a 6 pound loss that week but then gained like 4 pounds the next week.

The other time I went to the gym and ran 6 miles for extra calories for a pub crawl. Because I had no idea that losing weight would sap me of my ability to hold my booze I splattered all my consumed calories all over the sidewalk. I had NO DESIRE to eat back any "unconsumed" calories at that point, especially after the pub crawl. I just got on with my life the next day.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned over how many calories you should count after puking, you may want to examine your relationship with food and weight loss.

^ This
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Lastly, to satisfy your irrelevant question, I am 21 years old in American age. 22 in Korean.
    What's the conversion rate on that?

OMG - this. I am 55 years old and I have NEVER heard of this except when dealing with dogs. Too funny! Please enlighten us!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Lastly, to satisfy your irrelevant question, I am 21 years old in American age. 22 in Korean.

OMG - this. I am 55 years old and I have NEVER heard of this except when dealing with dogs. Too funny! Please enlighten us!
    I love my smart friends, they told me: The first year of life is counted as one instead of zero. so the day they're born they're considered 1, then on the new year they turn 2. they do calendar years and not individual ages.

makes sense now. OP could've said that, but they're too angry.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble with GERD and you are Asian and you eat dairy products, the problem may well be lactose intolerance and ice cream would only increase the problem. Consider this from Wikipedia: "It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood. The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from 5% in northern Europe through 71% for Sicily to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries."

There is also evidence that likelihood of lacose-intolerance increases with age.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    What's the over/under on how many more posts before the lock?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I love my smart friends, they told me: The first year of life is counted as one instead of zero. so the day they're born they're considered 1, then on the new year they turn 2. they do calendar years and not individual ages.

makes sense now. OP could've said that, but they're too angry.

Thanks Trog - Now I don't have to google!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you've been puking then just do fluids for a while to give your stomach time to get back on track. Don't worry over calories so much if you are sick.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options

The age thing is because some Asian countries only have one birthday each year, and everyone celebrates on that day, so they start you at 1, and your birthday will be the same as everyone else's birthday- part of their collectivist culture.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is the WORST thing to eat when you're sick, trust me. Just go to bed and have some rest, you'll feel better in the morning.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned over how many calories you should count after puking, you may want to examine your relationship with food and weight loss.

This
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The age thing is because some Asian countries only have one birthday each year, and everyone celebrates on that day, so they start you at 1, and your birthday will be the same as everyone else's birthday- part of their collectivist culture.
    I am so sad for the OP! :sad: First, I hear that she's not feeling well. Then you tell me she doesn't even get to have a birthday all her very own?! :brokenheart: What a world! :flowerforyou: for OP-- feel better, and don't worry about your food log. It'll be here.
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm hesitant to offer any advice. While I don't support the other comments about their assumption of bulimia, I don't blame them because the title you gave to this discussion is a bit alarming. However, if you are experiencing digestive problems, it may be tat your not eating the right nutrition your body needs. For example, digestive enzymes. I would say, DO log your food, because it's good to monitor what you are consuming, which will help you identify the cause of your illness. I recently discovered that I am allergic to citrus fruits, and since I kept logging, I was able to find and resolve the issue for good.
    You may be feeling nauseous because you are not drinking enough water. This happened to me a few days ago after running 11 miles and I almost fainted.
    For upset stomach, try drinking warm milk (dairy, soy, almond, whatever you prefer) and chicken or vegetable broth. Avoid highly acidic and fatty foods and cold beverages., as your body is sure to expel them.

If you are having bouts of bulimia nervosa, it is nothing to be afraid of, just practice self-awareness. Do not encourage unnatural exiting of what you consume: you will only assist in feeding your body toxic waste, and you will develop ulcers in your mouth, throat, stomach.

I hope you feel better soon! And remember-- :drinker: lots!!! (Water, that is!)
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well I guess the obvious question has been missed. Is this a recurring theme? If it's not, then I don't think you have to go so far as to suspect food allergies. But it is a good suggestion, LittleCulture.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    needtoloseafewpounds Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The I will block list:

The First Bandwagon of unhelpful, judgementals:

nomeejerome wrote:

MissMollyMN wrote:
    yes.

Mgregory723 wrote:
    Um, yeah ^THIS^
    *eyeroll* Uhm, No!

celadontea wrote:
    Trigger warning?

BlueBombers wrote:
    ^This

itsjustdawn wrote:
    This

southcarolina wrote:
    What's the over/under on how many more posts before the lock?

RGv2 wrote:
    That's not the help she asked for. She asked, should I enter the calories I just puked up...., or should I force myself to eat....even though I don't want to.

What kind of "honest help" should be offered?
    *Special note to RGv2: It's so easy to summarize someone else's problems tailor cut to make it suit the tone that you are going for. Lemme summarize your intentions, then: What you said is not what I asked for. I asked if I need my calories back in case I lost them but otherwise it's 3 FUDGING AM and I need to sleep! All you wanted to be was someone who can throw out opinions as if they were facts.

To the first bandwagon:
    If you are that quick to label bulimia on someone who was trying to EAT BACK HER CALORIES just in case she LOSt TOO MANY from being SICK and I have clearly mentioned "not feeling well today" in the FIRST post (meaning it only happened last night and no it is not a recurring event), then I don't want anything to have to do with you. Thus you are blocked as of today. This isn't Facebook, people. If you don't have any help for someone in their thread, then move on and stop being so ignorant. You don't look smart, you don't look "better", and you do not look like a moral person when you are jumping on a bandwagon to judge someone.

The Second Bandwagon of once again, unhelpful judgementals:

Cranquistador wrote:
    How old are you?

trogalicious wrote:
    I second this.

nomeejerome wrote:
    Wondering the same thing....

highervibes wrote:
    Definitely not old enough to be here unless that's her daughter in her profile pic.

To the second bandwagon:
    I'm sick. I'm asking a question on a help forums. You come into my thread, don't give me advice, don't give me anything, and ask me a question? Not only do you ask me a question but you all point fingers at me and tell me I'm too young for this site without any basis besides my blessed, youthful face? Judgemental at its greatest. I'm not obliged to tell anyone my age and none of you are obliged to know either.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Well, bye.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    needtoloseafewpounds Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    People I will properly thank list:

tonynguyen75 wrote:
    You're sick. Just rest up and start up again when you're better. 2-3 days isn't going to hurt anyone.

Thank you <3

glheureux56 wrote:
    Dont record any. Even though there was some asorption, you need to focus on getting better rather than weight loss. Just get back on track when you feel better.

Thank you :)

FinishtheJour wrote:
    This has come up SO many times over the last 3 years on MFP.. I've wondered it myself and have had several friends who are all healthy and have a healthy relationship with food.

What I do is go back and only count a quarter of the calories, and then go to bed, as with being sick you need your rest. And don't worry about it.

I hope you feel better.

I'm sorry if I repeated a topic but I just wanted advice on how I should go about refilling my lost calories if I couldn't eat solids. I had rice porridge before I puked so I knew porridge wasn't working out for me.
    Thanks for your concern and advice!

FerretBueller wrote:
    Unless I read OP wrong, I think she means that she is wondering if she should log all the calories for the meal she just expended, or not log the calories since the body didn't take them all in.

It's not that she doesn't have a good relationship with food, it's that she doesn't know if she should eat back those calories her body rejected for whatever reason.

If you are sick with the flu, you'll be eating less regardless, so I wouldn't worry about it at all until you are better and feeling like you can eat normally again without throwing it all up. If it's a one time "it didn't agree with me" thing, then I'm really not sure.

Thank you for the long post. It really means a lot to me when someone takes the time and effort to try to understand what I'm getting at. Starting last night my stomach wasn't doing well and I'm coming down with a cold so I will have to check in with the doctors today. Thanks again! :)<3

tworthen79 wrote:
    When I'm sick and pukey the last thing on my mind is calorie intake. You need more energy when sick. Rest, drink lots of water and eat some soup or crackers. Pick up where you left off when you are feeling better.

Thank you :) I am looking forward to having a soup and cracker and ginger ale day with some grinded up veggies(for better digestion) :)

ShellyBell999 wrote:
    Ive tossed a few cookies after a heavy workout. :grumble:

I don't worry about their logging or getting them back. :noway:

Hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much. :) I hope you're okay! I don't know if it's normal to throw up after workouts unless it's stomach cramps?

urbliss777 wrote:
    Eat when your body can. If Acid reflex is something you suffer from then see a doctor. Unless you have and this is something you have to deal with. If this is something that your Doctor cannot help with and it happens often then ask your doctor what you should do to keep nutrients in your body.

About the Ice cream comment. No.. Eat something more healthy if you want to eat back the calories. I understand it was late and you are not up for eating solids. Look at certain shakes like protein shakes or ensure (speak to your doctor). They can let you know what is best for next time this happens. Good that you just slept instead.

Also the comment " If you are that concerned over how many calories you should count after puking, you may want to examine your relationship with food and weight loss. " they are correct.

Unless this is a condition that you are living with. Like I know some people who are unlucky to just have it and the doctors are unsure why. It is hard for them to eat daily.

Remember, It is about living and eating "healthy" not about what size you are.

I basically agree with you but not 100% :) I do appreciate constructive criticism and advice, though. I have acid reflux but it is not the cause of my sickness. I'm pretty sure I either have a mild cold or a weak flu.

Also agreeing with a comment does not necessarily make it "correct" so please do not tell me that it is correct that I have an eating disorder. I have already explained myself more than once so if you're really concerned, I allow you to look for the countless explanations throughout this thread :)

I do eat daily and I just happened to puke yesterday and that's why I was concerned and ended up asking for help :)

jamiturner201 wrote:
    Dont record any. Even though there was some asorption, you need to focus on getting better rather than weight loss. Just get back on track when you feel better.

Thank you. I will stay away from recording until I get better ^^

sassyallday wrote:
    I agree with other posters that you should relax.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with you asking the question. Although I have been signed up for a long time, it's only recently that I have really worked to be precise about recording my intake. Trying hard to be responsible can sometimes lead to over-thinking.

So, congrats on trying to be precise for best results. But, for now, feeling better trumps calorie count.

Be sure to hydrate and eat "gently" until your tummy is better. :)

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that! I can tell from words that you are a kind, understanding person. Actually over-thinking is a part of my personality that I'm aware of so it's funny that you mentioned that :) haha I'll just kick back and take it easy for now while I'm sick then like everyone suggests.

greencantaycam wrote:
    When sick, counting calories should be the last thing on your mind. Rest and eat what you can keep down and plenty of fluids is all you should be concerned with.

And OP, in the future just use the sarcasm font.

The lack of sarcasm font creates a bigger sarcastic mood ;)
    I didn't want to ruin my health by not eating and I didn't want my body to shut down from a high level calorie deficit so that was my main concern. :)

obrientp wrote:
    If you threw it up immediately after eating, I don't think you should record it, Or if you want, just record 1/4. For now, just eat broths and jello until your stomach gets back on track. Don't worry so much about calories..

Thanks. I was just concerned that maybe if I lost too many calories through puking I didn't know what to eat back as my stomach isn't doing good right now. Jello sounds amazing and I will definately have to get some today. :)

Idrosophila wrote:
    Have some ginger ale and go to bed

Will get some today :)

BattleTaxi wrote:
    QFT!!!!

<3<3<3 Hope you feel better!!

If I were sick, I wouldn't worry so much about calories. I would just make sure you are hydrated! <3

Thanks! I'm the kind of person who always has a cup of water next to her so I'll be sure to keep hydrated! <3

pucenavel wrote:
    Beef broth (Cambell's) with saltines is my go-to "bad tummy" food.
    That sounds amazing and I will have to look into it!

str8bowbabe wrote:
    Wow...yet again we have the bash the OP crowd instead of trying to honestly offer help. Judging is not helping.

OP,

If you do not feel well, eat a few saltines or drink some ginger ale. It may help your stomach settle and get rest. Tomorrow hopefully you feel better. Feel better soon and ignore the people here trying to assume and judge.

Thank you. You don't need to defend me as I don't want you to get tied up in all of this and I'm glad you didn't :)! I noticed a lot of people suggesting ginger ale and I love ginger ale so I will definately get a whole lot of cans today!

15poundgoal wrote:
    if you just recently upchucked your entire meal ice cream would not be the smartest choice to help ease your tummy. saltines, dry toast, flat ginger ale, chicken or vegetable broth not soup (unless it's good ole fashioned chicken noodle) think bland foods.

unless you're drunk vomiting an entire meal imo means you have a bug so get some rest check your temp make sure you don't have a fever and don't worry about logging. if you're sick you're sick. logging would be the last thing on my mind if i just projectile vomited my dinner.

I think I am down with a cold, which I do tend to get in the summer->fall transition. I was thinking that ice cream would cool down my burning tummy but I ended up having a few glasses of water before I slept. I will go buy some ginger ale, chicken, noodles, and vegetables broth today :) Thank you!

Joy_Joy_ wrote:
    OP, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are really sick and not purging. If this is the case, don't record what you ate, but still try to get some food in. Maybe stick with soups until you feel your stomach can handle solid food.

IF this isn't the case and a case of purging, then that's your business but I hope that you seek help.

Either way, best of luck OP.

No I am not purging. I have stated in my first post that I have acid reflux and I wasn't feeling well. :)

crackur wrote:
    once you eat something you have absorbed those calories, regardless if you throw up or have diarrhea. Just get better.

Thanks this is probably the closest answer to my question. :) I was worried that maybe my calorie deficiency may be too high but knowing that I at least had all of my calories was reassuring.

deksgrl wrote:
    If I am sick I don't log. When I get better, I go back and write in the notes section that I was sick. After I know I can keep things down, and I'm feeling a bit better, then I will start logging again.

Thank you. I find this to be really simple yet good advice :)

justal313 wrote:
    I've been "sick" twice since I started logging. Once I made pancakes with expired buttermilk. I wound up NOT keeping all my food down and since this was the day before my weigh-in I posted a 6 pound loss that week but then gained like 4 pounds the next week.

The other time I went to the gym and ran 6 miles for extra calories for a pub crawl. Because I had no idea that losing weight would sap me of my ability to hold my booze I splattered all my consumed calories all over the sidewalk. I had NO DESIRE to eat back any "unconsumed" calories at that point, especially after the pub crawl. I just got on with my life the next day.

I've had drunk puke episodes, too haha :) (the legal drinking age in Korea is 19 years old) Thanks for the advice and although I'm not feeling so well today, either I'm going to try to at least eat some soup and crackers.

roundgal wrote:
    If you are having trouble with GERD and you are Asian and you eat dairy products, the problem may well be lactose intolerance and ice cream would only increase the problem. Consider this from Wikipedia: "It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood. The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from 5% in northern Europe through 71% for Sicily to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries."

There is also evidence that likelihood of lacose-intolerance increases with age.

I semi agree with you because I do notice sometimes my GERD gets worse when I have a yogurt or a cup of milk. Sometimes this isn't the case so I'm thinking it factors on how well my stomach was doing in the first place. Also I have experienced what you're talking about when you mentioned that lactose intolerance increases with age. :) Thanks for the interesting fact.

sharonfoustmi wrote:
    If you've been puking then just do fluids for a while to give your stomach time to get back on track. Don't worry over calories so much if you are sick.

I ended up following this answer as I was getting really sleepy so I just had about 2-3 glasses of water and dozed off. I'm looking for some soup/broth recipes for today's meals.

lady6starlight wrote:
    Ice cream is the WORST thing to eat when you're sick, trust me. Just go to bed and have some rest, you'll feel better in the morning.

I was hoping that the ice cream would cool down my stomach as it was burning last night. It's not burning so much today but I am still feeling nauseated :'(

Fullsterkr_woman wrote:
    I am so sad for the OP! sad First, I hear that she's not feeling well. Then you tell me she doesn't even get to have a birthday all her very own?! brokenheart What a world! flowerforyou for OP-- feel better, and don't worry about your food log. It'll be here.

We do have birthdays just like westerners. (I'm saying westerners because I don't know about other countries and I don't want to speak of what I don't know). :) We just celebrate it on our birth dates.

LittleCulture wrote:
    Hey there. I'm hesitant to offer any advice. While I don't support the other comments about their assumption of bulimia, I don't blame them because the title you gave to this discussion is a bit alarming. However, if you are experiencing digestive problems, it may be tat your not eating the right nutrition your body needs. For example, digestive enzymes. I would say, DO log your food, because it's good to monitor what you are consuming, which will help you identify the cause of your illness. I recently discovered that I am allergic to citrus fruits, and since I kept logging, I was able to find and resolve the issue for good.
    You may be feeling nauseous because you are not drinking enough water. This happened to me a few days ago after running 11 miles and I almost fainted.
    For upset stomach, try drinking warm milk (dairy, soy, almond, whatever you prefer) and chicken or vegetable broth. Avoid highly acidic and fatty foods and cold beverages., as your body is sure to expel them.

If you are having bouts of bulimia nervosa, it is nothing to be afraid of, just practice self-awareness. Do not encourage unnatural exiting of what you consume: you will only assist in feeding your body toxic waste, and you will develop ulcers in your mouth, throat, stomach.

I wasn't feeling well last night and I still am feeling horrible after waking up today as well. I'm coughing and sneezing as well so I am going to assume that I am a victim of the summer cold. No, I repeated myself quite a lot that I do not have an ED and the flying chunks was only a one day thing. I was thinking that logging my food would be a good idea, too for the same reason but after waking up today, I think it's because of this cold more than anything. Thanks for the time you put out into writing all of that! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    That's not the help she asked for. She asked, should I enter the calories I just puked up...., or should I force myself to eat....even though I don't want to.

What kind of "honest help" should be offered?

Of all the spirited debates I've had on this board and others over sports, politics, ect..... I get my first block/ignore ever from ^This statement..... I feel cheated.

eye-roll1.gif