Need… More… Protein!

Options
While I’m not as afraid of going over my calorie goal as I used to be, I still want to maintain my 1700-1800 limits while still reaching my protein goals. Too often I find myself going over my carb goal, while having barely gotten half of my protein for the day! I love carbs and I’ll forever stand by them, but I want to keep them at a sensible level. What are some snack replacements, hearty foods, or even just a recipe that can help me reach my protein goals for the day?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I get most of my protein in my meals, but snack wise...jerky, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese come to mind.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Previously, you mentioned you're on a high protein diet. HOW high is your protein goal each day? The reason I'm asking is, it's entirely possible you're overshooting (by which I mean, consuming more than you actually need) and therefore are basically "crowding out" other macros (like the beloved carbs!).

Also, are you vegetarian/vegan, or otherwise limited in potential protein sources?
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I am anti-carb, so this is going to be painful for me.. lmao.. but, I know protein.. simply change your meals.. I used to eat Keto, and ate thing like stir fry.. but with fish or chicken, and I would add lots of vegetables, and cook in a bit of olive oil... that would allow more protein, without a ton of calories.. leaving room for the carbs you want. You can add noodles, or rice to these dishes if desirable.

Start with the protein.. pick some meat fish or fowl, and then add some fat and all the carbs you want, up to 1800 calories.

The thing is, every gram has a set amount of calories. So make sure the number of grams of each, adds up to under 1800 calories. So 25% protein is 450 calories, or about 110 grams of protein. So you put 30 grams of protein per meal, and the carbs you might eat.. noodles, and veggies for example, will fill in the other 20 grams, since most foods have some of each macro. Do the same with calories.. think 1500 for 3 meals, then add the 100 calories of fat to the meal.. pre-plan meals, and hopefully you hit your macros, and calories.

Once I am done with a week ahead and meals are set, I buy groceries and just stick to what is planned.

that's it.. start with what you are weak in.. PROTEIN!.. add the fat, and then adding carbs sounds like it won't be a problem for you. You are focusing on the carbs, and putting less effort into the protein, which is why you are low in it.

If you plan a menu, and then ADD protein, like a HD egg, or 2 ozs. of cheese.. then you will be over in calories, so best to reshape you menu to higher protein meals, if that is your goal.

Good Luck!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, jerky/dried/smoked meats, and sub out all or some of your grains (oatmeal, etc.) for quinoa.
  • againwiththerelapsing
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Previously, you mentioned you're on a high protein diet. HOW high is your protein goal each day? The reason I'm asking is, it's entirely possible you're overshooting (by which I mean, consuming more than you actually need) and therefore are basically "crowding out" other macros (like the beloved carbs!).

Also, are you vegetarian/vegan, or otherwise limited in potential protein sources?

My current goal is 216 grams, which is what MFP picked for me. It seems like a lot, but that could just be because I've never done high protein before.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    216 grams on an 1800 caloie diet is 48% protein.

Could they possibly have suggested 216 calories of protein.. 54 grams.. that seems a bit low.. most people end up at 15-25% protein.

For example.. I eat Carnivore.. nothing but meat, fish, fowl, cheese, fats, and eggs.. I eat 71% fat, and 29% protein.. 29% protein is a lot.. but I don't eat ANY plant carbs.. still don't get to 48% protein.. something is wrong there. I ate 5 sausage for breakfast, having 12 ozs. chicken w/ mayo for lunch, and 12 ozs of pork steak for dinner.. lots of protein, but I eat higher fat.. lots of butter & mayo. Plus I am on a 2,300 calorie menu.. and still only 165 g of protein.. 216 grams is likely some misunderstanding.

The average person only needs 50-80 grams of protein, based on size.

You need to figure this out before you continue.. how many grams of protein are you supposed to eat today.. based on what you plan... the amount that is NOT enough.. maybe that is plenty??If it's HALF of 216.. 108g, it's close to 24%.. NOW.. the amount you think is too low.. and most would call that above moderate.. 30% if high protein.. never heard anyone aim for 48% protein.

If you have a medical issue which somehow requires this, then you need to talk to a doctor, but this is not normal.. 20% is normal.

• againwiththerelapsing
    Options
    216 grams on an 1800 caloie diet is 48% protein.

Could they possibly have suggested 216 calories of protein.. 54 grams.. that seems a bit low.. most people end up at 15-25% protein.

For example.. I eat Carnivore.. nothing but meat, fish, fowl, cheese, fats, and eggs.. I eat 71% fat, and 29% protein.. 29% protein is a lot.. but I don't eat ANY plant carbs.. still don't get to 48% protein.. something is wrong there. I ate 5 sausage for breakfast, having 12 ozs. chicken w/ mayo for lunch, and 12 ozs of pork steak for dinner.. lots of protein, but I eat higher fat.. lots of butter & mayo. Plus I am on a 2,300 calorie menu.. and still only 165 g of protein.. 216 grams is likely some misunderstanding.

The average person only needs 50-80 grams of protein, based on size.

You need to figure this out before you continue.. how many grams of protein are you supposed to eat today.. based on what you plan... the amount that is NOT enough.. maybe that is plenty??If it's HALF of 216.. 108g, it's close to 24%.. NOW.. the amount you think is too low.. and most would call that above moderate.. 30% if high protein.. never heard anyone aim for 48% protein.

If you have a medical issue which somehow requires this, then you need to talk to a doctor, but this is not normal.. 20% is normal.

That’s exactly what I was thinking! It’s way too much protein for me, I just trusted MFP’s judgement without doing any research. I’ll figure this out, and come back with a plan made from everyone’s advice. Thanks to everybody who commented!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If you're not using the default macros, I would suggest just going back to them.

50C 30F 20P is the default.

Alternately you could go with 40C 30F 30P - but you definitely don't need such high protein as you are using.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

My current goal is 216 grams, which is what MFP picked for me. It seems like a lot, but that could just be because I've never done high protein before.

I don't know how you possibly got that from MFP without customizing your macro %s. That is definitely not the MFP default and is an excessive amount of protein. All you're doing their is making expensive glucose. The MFP default is 50%C/30%F/20%P. When I logged I did 40C/30F/30P which is known as "the zone". 30%P got me right around 1 gram per pound of lean body mass which is at the high end of what you need weight training and/or otherwise engaged in strenuous activity. After that, you reach the point of diminishing returns and aren't really getting much benefit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options

As others have said, that's not what MFP would give you as a goal, unless you changed the macro percentages. That's absolutely more protein than you need, by any reasonable standard of evidence.

If you want to do something other than the MFP defaults, consider this evidence-based calculator to get a protein target range in grams, then set your percentages to something that will put you in that zone:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

This explains their rationale, links to the research on which the reasoning is based:

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

The site is generally regarded as science-based, and neutral. They don't sell supplements: Their business is selling evidence-based nutrition-related advice, so they offer what amount to some free samples of that advice on the site, including this protein info.
  • againwiththerelapsing
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

As others have said, that's not what MFP would give you as a goal, unless you changed the macro percentages. That's absolutely more protein than you need, by any reasonable standard of evidence.

If you want to do something other than the MFP defaults, consider this evidence-based calculator to get a protein target range in grams, then set your percentages to something that will put you in that zone:

This explains their rationale, links to the research on which the reasoning is based:

The site is generally regarded as science-based, and neutral. They don't sell supplements: Their business is selling evidence-based nutrition-related advice, so they offer what amount to some free samples of that advice on the site, including this protein info.

I looked back at my goals and the percentages were definitely off of what was automatic. I probably changed them thinking I was some kind of mini-dietician? But yeah, definitely not a MFP issue, totally on me. I reset them and now my goal is around 160. Judging by everyone’s responses, that might still be too much, but I do want to see if I can actually get up to that number. Just for funzies, I suppose! Thanks again!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    FWIW, our bodyweights are in the same ballpark, but I carry significantly more muscle mass; I'm currently shooting for roughly 136g/day. You absolutely do not need anywhere near 216g/day!

Is it possible you inadvertently tinkered with MFP's settings? Because as I recall (I honestly don't remember exactly), default settings give something like ~20% protein (not almost 50%) unless you manually adjust your macro breakdown.

IMO, go in and manually change it to something more reasonable and that will dramatically reduce the amount of unnecessary protein you're trying to get down the hatch each day AND it will free up a load of calories that you can allot to carbs (and/or fat; I was just saying carbs 'cause I know you loooooove them!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I looked back at my goals and the percentages were definitely off of what was automatic. I probably changed them thinking I was some kind of mini-dietician? But yeah, definitely not a MFP issue, totally on me. I reset them and now my goal is around 160. Judging by everyone’s responses, that might still be too much, but I do want to see if I can actually get up to that number. Just for funzies, I suppose! Thanks again!

Back on November 10, you said you were 5'2", 147 pounds, 20-30% body fat.

It looks like you've reset to the speculative max protein level from the Examine calculator, which is fine. ("Speculative" = their "may provide additional benefits, based on limited evidence.")

Another common rule of thumb on the relatively higher side is 1g protein daily per pound of lean body mass.

By that rule of thumb, you'd want about 102 to 110 grams of protein daily, which is in line with Examine's "optimal protein level" estimate.

If you want to eat more than that, excess protein won't hurt a healthy person, unless it makes them lowball fat needs (fat is an essential nutrient too, y'know?) or fail to get enough veggies/fruits for fiber and micros. (All of that assumes some kind of standard-ish balanced nutrition eating approach. Vegetarians/vegans might want a little more protein for protein-quality reasons (I'm vegetarian, BTW, not anti)); the carnivore folks who consider veggie/fruits optional are on the other end of the eating spectrum and I won't try to speak for them.)

I'm 5'5", mid-120s pounds, target a 100g protein minimum, usually exceed it. I figure it's just slightly above 1g per pound of lean body mass, for me, because even though I'm her height, I'm too lazy to have Jbanx's stunning nd enviable muscle mass. Oversimplifying, protein is for repairing/growing muscle, so we don't need lots more protein to support our body fat.

But 160g is fine, as long as it doesn't drive out other essential nutrition, which can be more of a risk if you're limiting calorie intake.