December 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    @martaindale – Glad you had some nice rest days. Yes, you turned me on to watching Dixie! I’ve also been watching videos from Taylor the Nahamsha Hiker. She isn’t as experienced as Dixie but I stumbled across her video for the day she hiked into Erwin on the same section of trail I did last week so I thought that was neat. I think she started the AT in 2020 and then had to finish in 2021 because of COVID. She’s really upbeat and enjoyable.

@run_sara_run – Nice shoes. I’ve never run in New Balance shoes. I’ve tried a couple of others and have kept returning to my tried and true Brooks. Are you keeping a log of your AT hikes? I’m still trying to decide the best way to track them. So far, I like coloring in the section on the elevation profile of the Thru Hiker Companion book. I also started a log on ATDIST website. Need to start a spreadsheet….

Glad your foot is doing better @tramboman and glad you didn’t reinjure your meniscus @SummerSkier.

Wahoo for new running clothes @rheddmobile!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Uggh, just lost my post. Ran 9.5k today, felt colder than -2°C but maybe it was the wind in the open areas I went through. Two pairs of tights would've been more comfortable, and the gloves mostly stayed on this time. Some spots were icy, covered with a dusting of snow, so I had to pay attention. Tried out some new paths because I could see plenty footprints in the snow, so they must lead somewhere. Nice shortcuts!
    "Damaged bridge. Foot traffic only." Then a quiet, peaceful path along the fence for the power/heat plant [or whatever it's called].
    8vn9pfbb6hxk.jpg
    6xxi0h5xg94x.jpg
    3uwsqm4t7lkd.jpg
    fsfpailrluxt.jpg

The snow is so pretty...
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Glad you guys decided to go a different direction. That's scary.

@rheddmobile I hope you and DH are feeling some better today.

@Tramboman Glad you were able to run and hope your foot is okay today....just read your post. Glad you were able to run again and your foot is behaving.

@SummerSkier Glad your knee was nothing serious.

@run_sara_run Nice shoes!

@polskagirl01 That does sound like a nice day. I remember going to a model train place in Colorado Springs once. It was amazing and I almost caught the bug to do it myself, but resisted. LOL That looks like a really cool place to run.

@katharmonic Nice running.

@globalhiker Glad your toe is better and you are able to run again.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to join a couple of friends after work to run in a nearby town that is supposed to have a big Christmas tree display. Even though it is past Christmas day, the display is up until the end of the week.

@katharmonic – I will definitely let you know when I get to NY – would love to meet up with you and have you join me!

@polskagirl01 – love the map visual. Posing for pictures in the pool with ice sounds like torture!

Welcome back @globalhiker – Glad your toe has healed. Sounds like you are doing a great job with your activities.

Glad you and the foot were able to get outside today @Tramboman.

@quilteryoyo – Are you still keeping your walking streak alive? Are you waiting on running until you see the new orthro?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @martaindale wait until you freeze that pack in the summer and put it on your back...feels so good.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @martaindale wait until you freeze that pack in the summer and put it on your back...feels so good.

I will definitely have to do that!
  • run_sara_run
    run_sara_run Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502
    So far I just upload everything to Strava, but I’d like something to hang and trace what I’ve completed at some point. It makes for an impressive visual! I’m pretty loyal to Saucony in general but I’ve dabbled in New Balance and always been pleased.
    @polskagirl01
    Pretty snow! I hope we get some soon…
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    12/01/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/21 :::: 2.2 :::: 2.2
    12/03/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.3
    12/04/21 :::: 10.1 :::: 15.3
    12/05/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 19.4
    12/06/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 22.5
    12/07/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 25.5
    12/08/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 28.6
    12/09/21 :::: 1.7 :::: 30.3
    12/10/21 :::: 3.3 :::: 33.6
    12/11/21 :::: 4.5 :::: 38.1
    12/12/21 :::: 4.1 :::: 42.2
    12/13/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 45.3
    12/14/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 49.3
    12/15/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 53.3
    12/16/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 53.3
    12/17/21 :::: 2.7 :::: 56.0
    12/18/21 :::: 13.7 :::: 69.7
    12/19/21 :::: 3.6 :::: 73.3
    12/20/21 :::: 2.0 :::: 75.3
    12/21/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 78.4
    12/22/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 81.5
    12/23/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 81.5
    12/24/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 85.5
    12/25/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 85.5
    12/26/21 :::: 7.1 :::: 92.6
    12/27/21 :::: 5.3 :::: 97.9
    12/28/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 100.9/110 mile goal

I woke up to my SI joint/lower back flaring up a bit. I must have tweaked it a little in strength training last night. I skipped yoga because all the forward folds tend to make it worse and got the heating pad out. I did some of my exercises and stretches and felt enough better this afternoon that I headed to the gym to do an easy run on the treadmill and sit in the sauna. I think it's okay, I just need to not push it too much. Easy running seems fine. I scheduled a massage for tomorrow evening which should also really help. My hip flexors are super tight which I think contributes to the problem.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Teresa502 I am keeping my walking streak alive. I have ventured to run a little during a few of the walks and it doesn't seem to make anything worse. I may try some short runs next week, if I get a chance. I don't see the new ortho until Feb 1, so I really don't want to wait a month to run. I hope you enjoy your Christmas display run this evening.

@skippygirlsmom I don't blame you for taking those steep slopes nice and easy. I think it's great that you are doing them at all!

@kgirlhart I also sent a request to join our RTY team.

@martaindale Nice running and I hope you enjoy your hydration vest.

@katharmonic I'm glad the stretches worked and you were able to do an easy run this afternoon.

I played tennis for the first time in over a month this morning. I didn't feel any pain in my back while playing. I came home and did a mile walk on the driveway (68°F) and then did my back exercises. It's a little tighter than normal tonight, so I'll be sure to ice it. Hopefully it will be okay in the morning. I think I just have to realize that my back probably isn't going to get any better and I just need to do all I can to keep it from getting a lot worse. The exercises should help that. I've also read that running on softer surfaces would help. The problem is, I'd have to drive to get to a cushiony track and I really don't want to just run in circles. One place said running of the grass helps, but the only grassy area around here that I know of is lumpy, which I'm sure is not what they mean. I'll figure it out. I just know that I am not ready to give up running and tennis just yet. I hope when I get a second opinion in Feb that he will agree with me.

Does anyone have the link to our Run The World link. I was going to add some of my mileage, but have lost the link. It was bookmarked, but I lost all of that when I had my computer worked on.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo here's the Challenge Hound run the world link

I'm glad you were able to play tennis today. My coach often advocates for running on grass but I have the same problem with finding places that aren't twist your ankle lumpy. I guess parks maybe. But I generally don't like running on the grass.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @katharmonic .
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    What is the code to join? I will get us finished.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I tried to enter my runs into the Run The World site, but it wouldn't let me go back past Oct 28th. I've only actually ran maybe 5 times since then due to my back. Does anyone know how to go back further. I hadn't entered anything since May, so could add a lot if it will let me.