What is ONE exercise I could do daily if I can only pick one?

Options
If you could pick one exercise that works everything (stretch, strength, full body) to do each day for maximum benefits what would it be?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I. I don't think there is ONE thing that would do all of that. I guess I'd pick rowing, but. That's a big ask for ONE exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it that way, honestly. I'd pick some exercise that was pretty good at some of whatever my goals were, but more importantly relatively fun to me. If things aren't enjoyable, or at least kind of tolerable, I don't do them. Any exercise I do, however pathetic in theoretical terms, is 100% more effective than one I skip.

If you must, then, yeah, vinyasa, or some of the martial arts, maybe. Or Crossfit, if you're willing to do gym/classes? There might be videos, dunno, not my thing.

I'm a rabid rower, but rowing is uni-directional (all lower push, upper pull), technical (won't get the benefits without good instruction, because it's not intuitive). It stretches some things, tightens others. It's an option, I guess.

Why do you want this? It seems odd to me.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "one exercise"? If I say go the gym or to a fitness class or to Crossfit, is that one exercise, or do you mean something like "burpees"?
    If the latter I don't think it exists.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Wu Shu
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would say Pilates, if you are going by the idea that one workout=one exercise.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    The clean & jerk..

You deadlift the bar to your waist, using back & legs.. then curl it and flip it onto your shoulders, using your arms, then press it overhead, using your shoulders, and a bit of the chest..all the while holding your core steady, so you work lower back & abs.

This may only work hamstrings, calves and chest tangentially, but you work the most body parts significantly, and all of the body to some degree.

Olympic lifts are better, but people find exercises which work one body part to ne easier.. lift weight from here to there.. instead of an exercise which is several parts, and which has to be learned to get proper form.. but once you get the hang of this, it's an incredibly effective exercise. It would cut down on the number of sets you have to do, and the time you spend in the gym.

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Might recommend Turkish Get-Ups with a kettlebell, but can't do it myself.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Sex
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    A challenging vinyasa flow yoga.

Stretches, of course, and strength is required to hold or deepen poses. My flow class yesterday had 20+ chatarunga push-ups in the first 45 minutes. If you add the extra push-up to the sequence, that’s 40, plus several arm balances. That’s a fairly standard number for that particular instructor. And it does work you from head to toe, since you incorporate a side stretch as well as one legged balances, and standing on tip toes.

If, however, I learned I could do one and one only exercise, walking would probably be top if my list. Anyone can do it at pretty any level of fitness, whether you can only make it to the end of the driveway or cover five miles.

Cosigning on both challenging yoga styles like vinyasa to achieve the actual goal in the OP and for walking being more practical.

You'll note springlering62 mentions "instructor" - I'd highly discourage anyone trying to learn challenging yoga on their own without an in-person yoga instructor.

If you have access to a pool, swimming is another good whole body exercise, but of course is not weight-bearing.

I'd get bored out of my mind if I only did one type of exercise ever. Different type of exercise have different benefits, and the variety keeps things interesting.
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Run or swim. I do both these on alternate days and love each one.
  • Moniixo8
    Moniixo8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Count me down for running 🏃🏾
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »

It’s sure worked for you!!!!
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Jumping Jacks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you could pick one exercise that works everything (stretch, strength, full body) to do each day for maximum benefits what would it be?

Nothing really if you're talking about a specific exercise alone in a vacuum. But something like martial arts would be good as various components of fitness are needed for execution...but it's not a stand alone exercise. So I guess there needs to be some clarification on that point...but one stand alone exercise isn't going to cover all the bases...it's not possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    If there was just ONE EXERCISE that did all of that, then there WOULDN'T be such a resistance to actually do exercise by most of the population.
    But I will say that cross country skiing with uphill climbs has been the MOST challenging thing I've ever done and I hurt everywhere after doing it even with all the continous exercise I've done over the years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Clean and jerk is a pretty solid choice.

If you're looking for just body weight, squats may be your best option.

As far as a cardio based exercise/workout, rowing is probably the best, but also requires expensive equipment. Swimming can be a good workout, but obviously requires a pool. Jogging is probably your least expensive option here.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »

It’s sure worked for you!!!!

Thanks.. 🙏 Going with what I dig.. I used to do it when I was in my early 20s and with a little bit of effort I am doing what I did over 25 years ago. Went for a nice 5 mile jog today..