Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is one fitness topic that is accepted by everyone? (I don't think there is one)

Perhaps this is why my username is what it is. It dawned on me last night that there is not a single thing you can say that will not be challenged (and it probably applies outside of fitness topics as well).

Some examples:

Prolonged calorie deficit means you will eventually experience hunger at some point: Challenged by people saying how they are literally never hungry and just eat volume foods

Calories in vs Calories out: Challenged by things like Ketoers and others who claim food composition is more important

Protein immediately after working out doesn't do anything significant: Challenged by people who feel the body can somehow rapidly absorb nutrients faster during a 1 hour window

Keto is good or keto is bad: Obviously challenged by both sides, (I don't think keto is bad, but it's definitely over rated)

I mean, it goes on and on.

"You have to lift X rep range to build muscle"

"don't eat at night" "eating at night is good for hormones during sleep"

"HIIT is better than LISS" "LISS is more muscle sparing"

Maybe the only thing people can agree on, at least for weight loss, is: Eat less move more. But someone would challenge that too!
«13

Replies

  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,870 Member
    Perhaps this is why my username is what it is. It dawned on me last night that there is not a single thing you can say that will not be challenged (and it probably applies outside of fitness topics as well).

    Part of that is just because people are different. (Also, people buy into crazy stuff and the weightloss field is teeming with crazy stuff.)
    Prolonged calorie deficit means you will eventually experience hunger at some point: Challenged by people saying how they are literally never hungry and just eat volume foods

    People mean different things by hunger, have different leanness goals, and--yes--are just different.
    Calories in vs Calories out: Challenged by things like Ketoers and others who claim food composition is more important

    Many ketoers believe that CICO matters, but simply find that they can more easily reduce CI on keto. Yes, you will find people who claim that CICO magically does not apply to them and I don't personally get it, but it is indeed possible to find groups of people who believe pretty much anything. I don't think that's a reason to dislike people in general, but YMMV.
    Protein immediately after working out doesn't do anything significant: Challenged by people who feel the body can somehow rapidly absorb nutrients faster during a 1 hour window

    This is just a scientific question (well, so is the CICO one). I personally think it doesn't do anything relevant for the vast majority of people. Might it make a marginal difference for people with very specific goals? Maybe. I don't really care, personally. (I also found this to be a relatively decent approach: https://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing)
    Keto is good or keto is bad: Obviously challenged by both sides, (I don't think keto is bad, but it's definitely over rated)

    Depends on the person and the person's goals, so naturally something people would disagree on if it is reframed to "keto is good for me" or "keto is bad for me." If someone claims keto is bad for everyone or keto is good for everyone, then I would of course disagree.
    Maybe the only thing people can agree on, at least for weight loss, is: Eat less move more. But someone would challenge that too!

    Some people will complain it's not helpful as it doesn't tell people how to do it. IMO, that's the whole point as there are different ways to do it. Others will say you don't have to move more if you eat sufficiently less (or in some cases they are overweight despite already being very active), and sure, but for the majority of people moving more in some way will probably help and if one is not already moving much, it will certainly be healthy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 32,262 Member
    Ha. Well, not liking people is probably a good thing with Omicron on its way.

    People are definitely challenging, this is very true. I find if I don't want an argument I don't discuss anything other than by saying, "This is what I do." Even then, people will try to control me and change me. Nature of the Human nature, methinks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 7,596 Member
    Agree.

    I doubt there is anything universally agreed on - and even if there were, it wouldn't make for much of a discussion.
    Probably nobody seriously disagrees with absolute obective facts: Queen Elizabeth was born on 21.4.26, Gravity works, Australia is in the southern hemisphere etc.

    The problem to me isn't disagreement - it is how it is worded( "you are wrong, you stupid idiot" vs "that is not correct, here are the facts from x reliable source" ) and sometimes how it is perceived- simple polite disagreement, or sometimes even just the disagree button being clicked, leads to accusations of haters, losers, bullying etc
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,270 Member
    One needs to move either though an active job or purposeful exercise.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 176 Member
    Why would anyone want (to achieve or enforce?) universal agreement on anything? Every home truth once dictated by legitimate state or religious or medical or athletic authority of the day has come and gone again. I used to advice colleagues going into contentious discussions, "Always go into a meeting with an open mind ... but not an empty mind."
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,831 Member
    Context matters.
    Are only the extremes the only 2 options available?
    Usage matters.

    And then current science understanding matters on some things, but even the above still applies.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 7,825 Member
    Earth is mostly spherical.

    Water flows by the path of least resistance. Gravity is the main driver.

    Gravity exists.

    Humans have been to the moon.

    Earth revolves around the sun, and as it turns out, we are almost at Solstice so depending where you are on this not flat planet your daylight is almost at maximum or minimum.

    A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead.

    Nine out of ten dentists recommend Trident to their patients who chew gum

    The area of a circle is the square of the radius times approximately 3.1415926

    Pineapple does not belong on pizza

    Bacon is a vegetable

    Bagpipe players march when they play because they are "Trying to get away from that terrible racket."

    Six times nine equals 42. Obviously this is the answer to live, the Universe, and everything, so there's that. Please schedule a chat with Douglas Adams before you tell me 6x9 does NOT equal 42. Not again.......
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 7,825 Member
    I am not 100% on this one, but I am fairly certain that birds are real.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,893 Member
    Red is the fastest color. You're welcome.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 7,825 Member

    I think I may have found one. Walking burns more calories than sleeping.

    I have another: Lifting a pair of 25 pound dumbbells takes more effort than lifting a pair of 2.5 pound dumbbells.

    As Ann pointed out, though, these are objective facts not subject to agreement or disagreement. Although I would not actually be surprised if I did hear someone claim both of those above statements are false. Because apparently some other objective facts have people who disagree:

    The Earth is mostly spherical; it is not a flat disc.

    Humans have not only traveled to space, but we have been to the moon.

    Birds are real.


    Then there's the things that we all agree on that we eventually discover are/were wrong. Think back to spontaneous generation or back when the world WAS flat and you could fall off the edge. You'd bounce off Atlas's shoulder on the way down. Or is it turtles all the way down? Remember when we were told to eat margarine because it was healthier than butter? I always said eat butter, just don't eat the whole stick at one time.

  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 7,825 Member
    edited December 2021
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Birds are not real - they are merely super clever dinosaurs hiding from the mass dino extinction. At least lizards, crocs, dragons and gators are upfront about it. Harrumph!

    By that logic, dinosaurs weren't real either. Many people, myself included, believe that they evolved from the earliest eukaryotes. Animalia wasn't even a thing back then. Dinosaurs didn't even show up until the Permian or Triassic. Mammals have a common ancestor to dinosaurs - the amniotes. Of course some people don't believe all this, but if you do and claim that birds aren't real because they evolved from dinosaurs, then neither dinosaurs or humans are real because we evolved from amniotes....

    So I guess we can't all agree that birds are real.

    Can we agree walking burns more calories than sleeping?

    :)

    Edit to add:

    9f0nxtho0ve5.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,744 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    (snip)

    Can we agree walking burns more calories than sleeping?

    :)

    (snip)


    Hey, if I have a super-active dream life, are you tryna tell me that doesn't count for calories?!? TF!

    Besides, we burn a higher percentage of our calories from fat during sleep compared to almost anything else we do. Therefore, by the rules of comparative percentages for people who really aren't really very good at math, we burn more fat when we're sleeping than at any other time. It's just like EPOC: Bigger percent, waaaay better.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,870 Member
    edited December 2021
    A 6'10, 370 lb man could burn more cals in an hour of sleeping than a 5'0, 90 lb woman does in an hour of slow walking. (Just to play devil's advocate and all.)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 7,825 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    (snip)

    Can we agree walking burns more calories than sleeping?

    :)

    (snip)


    Hey, if I have a super-active dream life, are you tryna tell me that doesn't count for calories?!? TF!

    Besides, we burn a higher percentage of our calories from fat during sleep compared to almost anything else we do. Therefore, by the rules of comparative percentages for people who really aren't really very good at math, we burn more fat when we're sleeping than at any other time. It's just like EPOC: Bigger percent, waaaay better.
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    A 6'10, 370 lb man could burn more cals in an hour of sleeping than a 5'0, 90 lb woman does in an hour of slow walking. (Just to play devil's advocate and all.)

    OK. I concede. Against any logic, some people apparently believe that sleeping can burn more calories than walking. So cross that one off the list. Not that I think anyone really believes that, but... there ya go. Maybe I need to put some boundaries on the statement to prevent special conditions from making it false. A given individual, over the course of a consecutive 24 hour period, will burn more calories walking for an hour on the surface of planet Earth than the same individual sleeping for an hour on the same planet.

    How about the other one? Lifting a pair of 25 pound dumbbells takes more effort than lifting a pair of 2.5 pound dumbbells. One could also apply special conditions to disagree, like making the lifter of the 25 pound dumbbells a scientist on the International Space Station and the person lifting the 2.5 pound barbells standing on the surface of Jupiter. We also must assume that we're wrong that Jupiter is made of gasses so you couldn't actually stand on the surface, but as long as we're making all these special circumstances....

    I guess there really isn't anything we can agree on. I still say the Earth isn't flat and we've been to the moon and walking uses more calories than sleeping and pineapple does not belong on pizza.....

  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 7,825 Member
    Red is the fastest color. You're welcome.

    A couple years ago, I saw a bumper sticker with just a few words in big, bold letters. The letters were red. They said, "If this is blue, you're going too fast." Made me laugh.