How on earth do I stop the after dinner snacking?!

Options

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy snacking after dinner, then plan for it by spreading your calories out more throughout the day.

If you are snacking because you are bored or because it is just habit, then change your habits. Go for a walk, keep busy doing housework, workout.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem and I just don't stock any snack food in the house except for fruit and rice cakes. A really sweet cup of tea helps me to take the edge off.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating something filling at dinner. Then, just don't do it. I find distraction works well for me. Go for a walk, clean up the house (stay out of the kitchen). Play with the family, ride a bike. Just don't sit there and think about the snacking. You got this!

I agree on distraction. For me, when I make my plate at dinner I try to make small portions so I am not overeating. If I still feel hungry afterwards, I always have found that during the 15 minutes of clean-up, putting away leftovers, and wiping down the table, the feeling passes. Then it's on to getting household chores done, playing with the kids, and bathing them. Depending on the time and the weather, a short walk with the kids is always nice before bath time.

Most nights I do end up eating a small snack after they go to bed, but not always. It depends on how active I was during the day, how I did on my calories, etc. I tend to eat more when I am active- exercise makes me hungry, lol. If I have room for it, I go ahead and have that small bowl of ice cream, or apple with peanut butter, or whatever. If I did not do well doing the day, a nice big pickle does the trick too! Oh, and I agree about not bringing the bag of chips/pretzels/snack in the living room with you. Portion out into a small container and put the bag back in the pantry! I usually use one of the kids small little bowls. :)
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    Easy. You will need:

2 oven gloves
    roll of duct tape. Colour optional.

tape gloves on hands after dinner as required.
  • dianep225
    dianep225 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When you buy groceries be sure to buy your favorite fruit. Before you dive into the high calorie snacks, eat the fruit and drink plenty of water. The fruit will take care of the craving and will fill you up along with the water. Also, try not to sit around watching TV. Find a project. I lost 55 lbs on this site... 1 lb at a time and I've kept it off for over a year... don't give up!
  • Idreamoflean
    Options
    I struggle with evening snacking andf I'm sure it's boredom, habit, mindless eating. I've strated having dinner a little later, trying not to have any snack food in the house as if you can't be bothered to cook something then you can't be that hungry. Also I do a home workout dvd after 9pm so that it deters me from eating if I then simply have to burn it off. Good luck, it's hard!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I snack every single night.

Use the diary as a tool and pre-plan your evening snack. Mine can get crazy because I sometimes snack according to what micronutrients are a little low (calcium? milk or cheese, iron? a half serving of shredded wheat honey nut, Vitamin A? cantaloupe, etc.)

Some good evening snacks that might mesh well with your cravings:

1/2 cup greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 scoop protein powder or a tablespoon peanut butter, then beaten into a dessert-like snack. Add a little water if it is too thick.

1 ounce of a good goat or camembert cheese and a couple crackers that you like, weighed on the food scale to get either 1 serving or 1/2 serving and enjoyed slowly with a cup of sleepy time tea.

If you plan for your snacks and use the food diary and your kitchen scale to make these snacks just another meal, then I don't see any reason why you'd have to give them up.

ETA: go with fat and protein, fat and protein, fat and protein. It's more filling so you'll be less likely to head back into the kitchen for more.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird, but try brushing your teeth.

I eat dinner around 7, and if I know I don't want to be snacking all night I will brush my teeth shortly after dinner. I don't know about you, but nothing tastes good to me after brushing with minty toothpaste.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's no magic pill for that. Leave yourself some extra calories for after dinner and let yourself have one snack within those calories. And make sure you log it.

Heck I went to bed hungry last night, it's one of those days, but I refused to blow my goal.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yesterday directly after dinner I had a sugar free fudgesicle (40 cals). I then worked out for an hour and took a shower. Then I came down stairs and watched America's got Talent with my BF and had half a bag of healthy pop popcorn (110 cals) and a skinny cow ice cream sandwich (150 cals) with a glass of iced tea with sweet n low (0 cals). I was still under my cal limits. If you like snacking after dinner then make room for it. And make smart choices. If you don't have room for it then say no... that's my best advice. Good luck!
  • partdeux
    partdeux Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also struggle in the evening. The best way I get around it is to plan my meals in advance, and try not to use too many for lunch. I always have a salad with protein OR a vegetable soup for example. Then I usually get home from work at 5:30pm, have a cuppa to fill up a bit and loads of water then I put the kids to bed, do a 30minute workout THEN I eat tea. I know eating late is supposed to be bad for you but I eat about 8.15pm. This way, I am less hungry in the evening and I also have less time to snack because after tidying up it's nearer 9pm and I go to bed around 10pm anyway.
    Good luck .
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

Please... if you have nothing of any substance to say, keep your pie hole shut.

Now to address the question and give some positive, encouraging support...

I too have trouble (although I do not think if it as trouble or a negative anymore) eating at night. My solution was to implement intermittent fasting. Basically what I do is skip breakfast. I eat my first meal at 2pm, after my workout and shift whatever calories I was due to eat in the morning to my dinner... or dinners ;)

I choose to skip breakfast because I tend to have stronger willpower in the morning, plus I am very busy in the morning... no time really to eat or even think about food or that matter.

The key IMO, is to know yourself and devise a pattern that works with you, not against you. So instead of beating myself up and feeling guilty about eating late, I enjoy my food without any reservations because since I simply skipped breakfast I am still within my calorie range.

Hope this helps...
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary then people may be able to give you a little more insight.

Are you eating enough throughout the day? Is your calorie goal correct for what you need? I find that snacking comes when I don't feel satisfied.

Make sure you get plenty of protein and healthy fats to keep you fuller. Everything you eat during the day will contribute to how you feel at the end of it.

Make sure you're hydrated. Thirst likes to disguise itself as hunger! If you really feel you are hungry, drink a hot drink. Tea or coffee or even a cup soup. They will satisfy you for longer than a glass of water.

It does also have some elements of self control. If you are really serious about weight loss you will think twice about reaching for a snack. Put post-its on your snack foods with little questions on "Do I really want this?" "Will this fit in my calorie goal for today?" "Can it wait for tomorrow?"
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

^^ this.. put on your grown-up pants and "just do it"
  • twodavez
    twodavez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink loads of water which I find helps

I was going to suggest the same thing. Try drinking a full glass of water before dinner, then sipping throughout the evening. you should be drinking lots of the stuff anyway.

Also, try a nice COLD glass when you get a snack craving. Even if you add some low cal flavor, it's going to be better for you then a handful of chips if you're over your calories for the day. Maybe that small hungry feeling (assuming you're eating enough during the day) will make you rethink your choices earlier that is not allowing you to eat a snack late a night.

I always remember. Nothing is going to taste as good as healthy feels. Most of the time it works, but sometimes a splurge happens. Just get back on the horse and keep going.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack after dinner. While I watch my Heroes of Cosplay, I drink my mocha and eat my nightly hummus and wheat thins. I always make sure I have some spare calories reserved for it. I have learned portion control and being honest about everything you're eating is key. As long as you're eating mostly healthy and meeting your macros, all should be well. But, that's just me.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Don't bring that stuff into the house. It's my first line of defense.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i used to have the same problem. i always justified it b/c i had ran that morning and lifted that evening or something. i keep a cucumber, cantelope and/or some lettuce in the fridge. i snack on the cucumber and lettuce all i want and is very low cal and it helps promote sleep too. i still crave the sweet stuff but thats where cantelope comes in or i will have a tablespoon of PB with a half green apple. like any habit or addiction, if you'll tough it out for a while it will get easier...assuming you can ignore all the dang food commercials while watching TV after dinner lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also this suggestion is not for everyone but I have my eating on a schedule. I know that dinner is going to be at 4 (yeah I know, our schedule is weird) so I tell myself I can have one snack at 6 and one at 8. It helps me not snack in the interim if I know I'm going to have something in an hour and a half.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

^^ this.. put on your grown-up pants and "just do it"

Brilliant advice from the 22 and 24 year old... Please...