Running

Options
I am a 47 year old ex smoker and drinker whose had enough of my lifestyle. I want to eat healthy, get fit, start running and feel better again.
I started a 6 week challenge course a couple of years ago and felt fantastic but injured my Knee and never went back.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Mark

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,194 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well, to avoid getting another injury, I would recommend starting SLOW. Depending on your current fitness level, start by walking or alternatively start a walking running interval program like Couch to 5k. Run slowly (still able to talk) and increase your running distance gradually, preferably with a rest day in between each run, at least for the first few months. Don't force yourself to increase your speed, focus on distance at first.
    Your fitness level may improve quite quickly, but don't let that fool you: your muscles and tendons also need time to get stronger.

Good shoes are also important, especially since you've already had a knee injury, shoes adapted to your running gait. If you don't know your gait, it can be interesting to get your gait analyzed in a specialized shop, or have a look online at ways of judging your gait, for example the wear pattern on old running shoes.

Similar advice for getting healthy: don't overhaul your life in one go, make slow, gradual changes to your lifestyle. By changing your habits gradually, the new habits are more likely to 'stick'.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,640 Member
    Options
    I second the shoes. I went for a short run in a new pair this morning and thought I’d died and gone to heaven.

Even though I rotate several pairs and replace them regularly, there’s nothing like fresh, comfortable, well fitting shoes appropriate for your particular stride and style of running or walking.

I get a couple pair from a local running store every year, and buy spares off Amazon.

My daughter texted me the other day. “Mom, why are four pairs of running shoes showing up on our Amazon orders?”

Because Mom buys last seasons colors when they’re dumping them cheap and puts them away til a new one needs to come in rotation. Sometimes I can get three out of season pair for what one “current” color goes for. 👍🏻

Start slow, run slow if you need to. I have no shame. I had worked up to 5k, but now do a mile and half because my little rescue loves to run, but…..short little legs. Heart of a lion, though.