Meditation

Options
Br00klynbaby90
Br00klynbaby90 Posts: 60 Member
Let's discuss meditation πŸ§˜πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
Who has found the usefulness of adding a daily meditation practice along with their fitness goals?
Any meditation apps that you guys recommend? I've been using insight timer

Replies

• work_again
    work_again Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I went really disciplined at meditating a few years ago, and still use it at times of high anxiety. I didn't specfically use it for fitness as much as for overall wellnes. I really like Dan Harris' story, and his app 10 percent happier app can be really helpful. I even had the subscription for a while.
  • 406MamaBear
    406MamaBear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP about Dan Harris! I’d encourage anyone to give him a try.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I use Insight Timer as well for daily 20 minute non-guided sitting meditation session. I've gone back to a more formal sitting practice since it tends to work better for me than 5 minutes here or there throughout the day. I don't always use an app because the phone can be a distraction so I have another mechanical bell timer and a traditional bell.

It definitely helps with focusing on health and fitness goals as well as organizing my thoughts on everything else from work, family, and painting in my studio.
  • Sadie_397
    Sadie_397 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a new member of MFP tonight, I immediately gravitated towards your question about meditation. I, too, feel as though I have benefited from using Dan Harris’ app. Lots of tips, tools given. Interviews and guided meditations from an array of teachers to help with being more aware and mindful in daily life
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Options
    I find that meditation builds a calm practical mindset, which helps both with diet and exercise. When the urge to snack arises, I am better able to distance myself until it passes. And I don't overthink the exercise so much. Meditation builds equanimity.
  • HorsesRock9999
    HorsesRock9999 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Xerogs wrote: Β»
    I use Insight Timer as well for daily 20 minute non-guided sitting meditation session. I've gone back to a more formal sitting practice since it tends to work better for me than 5 minutes here or there throughout the day. I don't always use an app because the phone can be a distraction so I have another mechanical bell timer and a traditional bell.

It definitely helps with focusing on health and fitness goals as well as organizing my thoughts on everything else from work, family, and painting in my studio.

The insight timer app is the best that I have used thus far! Frankly, I can’t believe its free..
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I use the Headspace app. I've use Dan Harris' app too, but find that Headspace suits me better. I *think* the 10 minute daily meditation is free, but there are a bunch of others available with a subscription. I do find that the techniques help me with my fitness journey. The biggest way it helps is in bringing me back to focussing on what I'm doing today and what I can control at this time. Too often, I start to worry about "what if I can't keep it up?" "what if I regain weight?" "what if something derails me?" etc. But the thought patterns developed by meditation help me to bring my focus back to the present.
  • M4r3z
    M4r3z Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try to meditate each morning and sometimes before I go to bed. I believe it helps with the day to day stress and helps keep me focused. I have been working on conscience meditation lately once in a while. Meditation has been helping me and I believe with an open mind it can help others too.
  • ssdigital1221
    ssdigital1221 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Meditation is a practice that has been around for centuries. It's been used to help people from all walks of life find peace and focus. Whether you're a beginner or have practiced for years, there are plenty of benefits to be had from this ancient technique.
    People have different ways to meditate but here we have discussed some basic points where you have to be aware so let us explore them.
    β€’ The first step is to find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed.
    β€’ Next, sit comfortably on the floor or on a chair.
    β€’ Now, close your eyes and focus on your breathing. You can use an app or timer to help you keep track of the time.
    β€’ When you feel that your mind has wandered from its focus, gently bring it back to your breath.
    β€’ Repeat this process for 10-20 minutes.

You must know that best posture for meditation can reduce stress and anxiety. It can also help with chronic pain, depression, insomnia, and other medical conditions.
  • chazbike9
    chazbike9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The only good thing about Covid is that it got me back to (almost) daily meditation. I found some videos from Plum Village (Zen) on YouTube. Presently, I am using Centering Prayer app. It is a Catholic based meditation program. For me it is helpful with my mental health, spiritual growth and recovery program. It is free and there are no ads. Peace.
  • DJtobias13
    DJtobias13 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I remember trying meditation for some class activity when I was a teenager and of course I thought it was a joke.
    Fast forward 20+ yrs and I tell everyone that mediation has made a huge difference in my life.
    Headspace is where I really started to get into meditation and I still use it today. I've tried other apps, but find Headspace works best for me. I also like to listen to binaural beats, isochronic tones, and solfeggio frequencies when I'm looking to zen out with an unguided meditation.
  • joanthompson940
    joanthompson940 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Tara Brach, Michael Singer.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I do Yoga after my morning HIIT and ab workout. Stretches everything out so Im not stiff for my lunch weight session. I use the yoga app from Down Dog, and meditation is an option on it.

I can set length of workout, type of workout, what Im looking to improve, what level Im at, the voice and background options as well. Laying on the matt sprawled out with eyes closed for a few minutes after a session always feels so peaceful