Sugar addiction....

Options
I need help overcoming my sugar addiction. I would love tips from anyone who has been through this and broke the addiction.

Replies

• strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had to stop looking at it like an addiction. My eating is something I can choose to have control of. Most of the time, I do well with the eating. Every now and then, I splurge. Not "cheat", not "cave in", or any of those other terms that make us feel like failures. Changing my mindset was KEY. Believe in yourself and respect your body enough to make healthier food choices.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This might not end well......
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I need help overcoming my sugar addiction. I would love tips from anyone who has been through this and broke the addiction.

21 Day Sugar Detox or Whole30.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It's really tough! I'm working on this myself! I've started by completely cutting out all added sugar and packaged snacks! I eat a bit of fruit when I want something sweet. You just have to keep buggering on I'm afraid until your body stops craving it as much!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing. Just get your diet figured out and fit in moderate amounts of foods you enjoy.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Check ingredient labels every time you buy something or eat something.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Zero carb diet for a detox since carbs are sugars
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Describe your relationship with sugar.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    When did you finally realize you had a problem?

When it started affecting your work, when you sold your TV for a sugar cube, or when you gave a bj for a sugar packet?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just stop eating sugar. It's hard, and you'll have a headache for a couple days, but it's the best way to do it. Drink lots of water and find something to distract you when you get a craving.

What's the problem? Chocolate? Junk food? Soda?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

When it started affecting your work, when you sold your TV for a sugar cube, or when you gave a bj for a sugar packet?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    stop eating sugar.

i have yet to meet someone who was addicted to sugar and had withdrawal symptoms.
    It's as simple as saying I'm not going to eat anymore sugars. Stop buying the stuff, if it isn't in your home, you can't eat it without driving to get some.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Recognizing you have a problem is the first step. You should contact all the people you've hurt in the process of your addiction and make amends.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    no such thing as sugar addiction.

you just like sugar a lot.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

21 Day Sugar Detox or Whole30.

LOL'Z

There's no such thing, unless OP, you're in a bathroom somewhere with a tourniquet tied around your arm or you're sneaking it in your coffee.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel your addicted?
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You stop eating it. You say no. And you don't vilify it. It's not the sugar's fault. Sugary foods aren't bad, and they aren't the devil.

I had to stop eating sugar for about a month before the cravings stopped. I cut WAY down on bread and tried my best to eliminate all processed foods. I had a piece of fruit after every meal to retrain my brain and cravings that after dinner I didn't want ice cream, I wanted a peach. When I do want something sweet, I eat a piece of fruit. When I want something salty, I have some almonds or cashews.

Yesterday I had a small slice of cake, and I have no cravings for more. It was enough for me.

Ultimately, you stop eating sugar the same way that you stop being overweight. You have self control and say 'no'.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I had to go to SA sugarholics anonymous...that was a tough time in my life..
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I relate to this a lot and I really don't think you'll find someone who is completely "sober" from sugar since it is all around us all the time. Even a monthly snack would be considered cheating if it were an addiction. Which is why I second that it cannot be called an addiction. I call it a craving because that is what it feels like to me. And it is a very tricky craving in that if you give in you will become hungrier. So look at that sugary snack as a medication for appetite because that is what it will give you!

I started this thing where candy is for kids only, now I do not eat candy. From there it was harder to avoid the obligatory slice of cake at a party or ice cream once a week. I think the best way to successfully get ahold of the sugar crave is to give yourself boundaries and do NOT break them. I would even go as far as to say "you can have that cookie but you have to run/walk first" and you'll see that after you ran/walked you may actually not want that cookie anymore!

My new implementations are dessert once a week except for special occasions. And if you're a socialite and have a special occassion several times a week then obviously that is something you will have to revise. And one dessert means one serving of course. I heard it should be about 5% of your diet if you have it everyday, that would include a morning breakfast cookie/scone/mocha/anything high in sugars
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP please clarify as to why you feel this is an "addiction"