Sugar addiction....

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're just weird.

I love sweets, I love chocolate, I love candy bars! I eat cookies/ice cream damn near daily...and even I would pick the strawberries. A nice juicy ripe strawberry and the way it just bursts into your mouth when you sink your teeth in? That mouth feel?

Snickers ain't got nothing on that.

We are all weird in one way or another. I, for example, cannot stand the slightest whiff of cigarette smoke, I can't imagine ever smoking a single one, let alone being addicted to them.

Not everyone finds pleasure in the same things, so behavioral addictions affect different people differently.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Once I started taking zinc every day. I'm noticing I'm not craving sweets after I eat. Also I noticed my appetite seems normal. I was always hungry before I started taking zinc even after I ate. Now I eat and I'm good for a few hours but this is just what worked for me.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    I eat a pint of ice cream a night as well. I was also a smoker of 2 packs a day for 17 years, quit. Mental fortitude is all that's needed.

This, of course, is true for breaking any addiction.

However, as we know, it's very often very difficult to summon the mental fortitude required.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy the condition. I enjoy the fact that the "sugar isn't evil" argument doesn't apply to me.
    I think you need to get out more if this is your idea of fun ...
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat a pint of ice cream a night as well. I was also a smoker of 2 packs a day for 17 years, quit. Mental fortitude is all that's needed.

This, of course, is true for breaking any addiction.

However, as we know, it's very often very difficult to summon the mental fortitude required.

So if what I understand is correct, all you need is will power (but you're calling it mental fortitude in this case) and we can break the sugar addiction? I feel like I'm chasing my tail.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    How exactly does that definition have anything more to do with addiction than stupid behavior in general?

This page might educate you on what the difference is between behavioral addiction vs. stupid behavior in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction
    Never mind, no point in engaging in this conversation.

Is this like plugging your fingers in your ears and saying, "LALALALALALA"?
    If you want to make excuses, it only affects you. No one else needs to believe those excuses for them to be effective in holding you back though.

Recognizing addiction problems is not an excuse unless you refuse to take steps to address the problem.

Many people here have recognized their food behavior problem and are looking for advice on how to address it. This is not synonymous with looking for an excuse.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    omg the people telling this girl to stop eating sugar

STOP

that is a terrible idea.

just eat it in moderation.

enjoy one treat a day. then lessen it gradually down to one sweet treat a week.

DON"T STOP EATING SUGAR ALL TOGETHER you will hate life.

I tried this and IT DOES NOT WORK
  • maillemaker
    Options
    So if what I understand is correct, all you need is will power (but you're calling it mental fortitude in this case) and we can break the sugar addiction? I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

"All you need" is will power to break any addiction.

It just often requires more than people can summon.

Look how many people on this forum have yo-yo dieted their entire lives. They cannot summon the willpower to stick to a calorie deficit and suffer through being hungry or denying the pleasure they get from eating food.

How many people start gym memberships in January and are gone by February.

Willpower is not an easy thing to come by.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options

STOP

that is a terrible idea.

It didn't work.... for you. It worked for me. I had to cold turkey for a month before I could reintroduce it into my diet. She's asking what worked for people, and those are the answers that she's getting. They're all going to vary, because different strokes work for different folks.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    How exactly does that definition have anything more to do with addiction than stupid behavior in general?

This page might educate you on what the difference is between behavioral addiction vs. stupid behavior in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction
    Never mind, no point in engaging in this conversation.

Is this like plugging your fingers in your ears and saying, "LALALALALALA"?
    If you want to make excuses, it only affects you. No one else needs to believe those excuses for them to be effective in holding you back though.

Recognizing addiction problems is not an excuse unless you refuse to take steps to address the problem.

Many people here have recognized their food behavior problem and are looking for advice on how to address it. This is not synonymous with looking for an excuse.

lulz

You have an uncanny ability to miss points, sarcasm and humor.

First off, the definition of addiction the person whom I was responding to was a joking definition of "insanity" or "stupidity" depending on who is telling the joke. Go back and read it. I found it funny that that person provided that definition rather than providing something along the lines of the link that you just posted. I didn't consider such a ridiculous statement to warrant a serious response.

I'm familiar with that wiki. I'm familiar with the DSM. I have criticisms which I will keep to myself because the level of conversation here is not exactly high.

You address real addiction problems with serious work and personal responsibility. Those are attributes I do not see represented here.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    3pfh90.jpg
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Oh, FFS.

The thread is on sugar addiction, not sex addiction. The above was meant in jest.

I poked the other person, but come on. Back to the subject at hand.

Sorry, I could not tell from your post that you were joking about sex addiction. It is a valid behavioral addiction just like gambling addiction, internet addiction, work addiction, or food addiction.
  • maillemaker
    Options

May I suggest that if you are posting something intended to be a joke that you include the smiley symbol. :)

I do not find that you are not doing a very good job of expressing sarcasm and humor.
    I'm familiar with that website. I'm familiar with the DSM. I have criticisms which I will keep to myself because the level of conversation here is not exactly high.

Great!
    You address real addiction problems with serious work and personal responsibility. Those are attributes I do not see represented here.

Yes, you do need to address real addiction problems, including real behavioral addiction problems, with serious work and personal responsibility. The first step is acknowledging behavioral addiction problems.

There are many people here who have taken control of what they eat and have moved to a more healthy life. I've been doing it since April 19th and am down 25 pounds.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    3pfh90.jpg

LOL!!!!
  • BeachIron
    Options

May I suggest that if you are posting something intended to be a joke that you include the smiley symbol. :)

I do not find that you are not doing a very good job of expressing sarcasm and humor.
    I'm familiar with that website. I'm familiar with the DSM. I have criticisms which I will keep to myself because the level of conversation here is not exactly high.

Great!

Yes, you do need to address real addiction problems, including real behavioral addiction problems, with serious work and personal responsibility. The first step is acknowledging behavioral addiction problems.

There are many people here who have taken control of what they eat and have moved to a more healthy life. I've been doing it since April 19th and am down 25 pounds.

smh

best of luck to you
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Oh, FFS.

The thread is on sugar addiction, not sex addiction. The above was meant in jest.

Sorry, I could not tell from your post that you were joking about sex addiction. It is a valid behavioral addiction just like gambling addiction, internet addiction, work addiction, or food addiction.

Actually, there's research that suggests that "sex addiction" isn't really an addiction after all.
    http://www.socioaffectiveneuroscipsychol.net/index.php/snp/article/view/20770/28995
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options

STOP

that is a terrible idea.

It didn't work.... for you. It worked for me. I had to cold turkey for a month before I could reintroduce it into my diet. She's asking what worked for people, and those are the answers that she's getting. They're all going to vary, because different strokes work for different folks.

Well I guess that is possible. But doing something like cutting out something you love so much you consider it an "addiction"....I'm sorry, I would think that after a few months at the most it would completely backlash and cause a "relapse" even worse than in the first place. That's what happened in my case (and also, just to be honest about two other people I know did the same thing I did.) It just doesn't seem sustainable.

If it worked for you, who am I to say it's wrong I guess. So congratulations on your success! :]

And you are very right, we will all have a wide range of views on this topic here.

So I will just say she probably shouldn't follow ANYONE's advice on this website.

She should just talk to her doctor or a nutritionist.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Oh, FFS.

I posted a comment in jest, but that doesn't mean that I believe in the validity of sex addiction. I'll leave it at that.
  • gloria470
    Options
    I have an addiction to processed sugar, so I am trying to eat fruit every time I have a craving. It helps.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to processed sugar, so I am trying to eat fruit every time I have a craving. It helps.

so you are addicted to sugar then, right?