Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    snorts coco powder at desk
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in general, the fit people that have selfies with toned muscles and washboard abs think that sugar isn't addictive, while the heavier ones seem to think it is.
    And many of those people with the toned muscles and washboard abs did not always have toned muscles and washboard abs.

Some of them were once 300 pounds.

And not one of those 300lb'ers got fat from eating too much fruit, nor lost weight from cutting fruit from their diets.
    And I would bet 90% of them didn't cut any other sugar source, either.

You should see Magerum's poptart collection...lmao.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in general, the fit people that have selfies with toned muscles and washboard abs think that sugar isn't addictive, while the heavier ones seem to think it is.
    And many of those people with the toned muscles and washboard abs did not always have toned muscles and washboard abs.

and some over 500 pounds :wink:
  • highervibes
    Options

Like I said, it's probably not the chemical of sugar itself that makes it addicting. It's the pleasure in how it tastes. You won't "get your ice cream fix" from a pile of grapes, no matter how much more convenient the grapes are.

But they're not just "addicted" to sugar then, they have a propensity to overconsume any food that tastes good. Where does this addition stand on pizza and KFC? Perhaps there is no addiction at all, and the person just lacks the self control to say no to the 6th slice of pepperoni pizza or Wunderbar.

I will accept the food addict argument in the same way I accept the sex addict argument.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

And not one of those 300lb'ers got fat from eating too much fruit, nor lost weight from cutting fruit from their diets.

Forgive the anecdote, but I lost 10 lbs over the course of 5-6 weeks mostly by cutting the refined sugar from my diet and replacing it with less sugary and natural sugar alternatives. I got rid of sugary yogurts, protein bars, sports & energy drinks, and fruit juices with added sugar. That amounted to going from over 100gs a day to under 50gs of refined sugar. And that was a loss of 10 "hard" lbs, as I dropped from about 180-170 on a 6 ft frame
  • highervibes
    Options

Forgive the anecdote, but I lost 10 lbs over the course of 5-6 weeks mostly by cutting the refined sugar from my diet and replacing it with less sugary and natural sugar alternatives. I got rid of sugary yogurts, protein bars, sports & energy drinks, and fruit juices with added sugar. That amounted to going from over 100gs a day to under 50gs of refined sugar. And that was a loss of 10 "hard" lbs, as I dropped from about 180-170.

Because there's less CALORIES in sugar subs. Did you eat the same amount of calories, only replacing the sugar with sugar subs?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Forgive the anecdote, but I lost 10 lbs over the course of 5-6 weeks mostly by cutting the refined sugar from my diet and replacing it with less sugary and natural sugar alternatives. I got rid of sugary yogurts, protein bars, sports & energy drinks, and fruit juices with added sugar. That amounted to going from over 100gs a day to under 50gs of refined sugar. And that was a loss of 10 "hard" lbs, as I dropped from about 180-170 on a 6 ft frame
    I didn't say you couldn't lose weight cutting out or back on sugar. I'm just pointing out it isn't necessary.

I lost three dress sizes (30 pounds) over three months without cutting out anything. I had an ice cream cone every Friday and ate out -- and ate whatever I wanted at the restaurant, including dessert -- at least once a week.

And even at a healthy BMI, I was dropping almost 2 pounds a week and eating plenty of food.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Forgive the anecdote, but I lost 10 lbs over the course of 5-6 weeks mostly by cutting the refined sugar from my diet and replacing it with less sugary and natural sugar alternatives. I got rid of sugary yogurts, protein bars, sports & energy drinks, and fruit juices with added sugar. That amounted to going from over 100gs a day to under 50gs of refined sugar. And that was a loss of 10 "hard" lbs, as I dropped from about 180-170.

Because there's less CALORIES in sugar subs. Did you eat the same amount of calories, only replacing the sugar with sugar subs?
    I see you dropped a lot of foods and drinks as a whole...is this a possible caloric deficit?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

Overall calorie intake was the same, just a different composition of foods. I was / am eating to maintain my weight, and was surprised that I was actually losing it.
  • highervibes
    Options

Overall calorie intake was the same, just a different composition of foods. I was / am eating to maintain my weight, and was surprised that I was actually losing it.

You can't lose weight because you ate or didn't eat a certain type of food... either your activity increased or your food decreased. There is no way around that one. Sorry, it wasn't the sugar's fault.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Check around. There are people who get fat from eating too much fruit. It's just a lot harder than by eating more of more calorie-dense foods like ice cream. People who are only satisfied by eating a lot of bulk can do it, though. I gained several pounds when my doctor had me eating 3 bananas a day for 8 wks to counter potassium deficiency from some antibiotics I was taking. I gained because the rest of my diet didn't change, and I would have kept gaining if I'd kept it up. But, since I'd developed a loathing for bananas, that didn't happen and the weight came back off again.

ETA: And feel free to check my diary. This weight loss? It came with cake. And ice cream. And chocolate. If you can stand it, go back about a month to the 2 weeks where I ate some chocolate silk pie with a pretzel crust just about every night. If I remember correctly, there was one night where that was dinner. Actually, it came with a dessert every night, because I really like to have something sweet at the end of the day. But, I'm always careful to fit in my calories for the week, if not the day.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Doing a Whole30
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Maybe some people who got themselves in shape did so by not making excuses like I can't moderate my sugar intake?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    You can't lose weight because you ate or didn't eat a certain type of food... either your activity increased or your food decreased. There is no way around that one. Sorry, it wasn't the sugar's fault.

Eating a lot of sugar raises insulin levels in the blood, which deposits energy from foods into fat cells. Fructose causes resistance to leptin (regulates energy intake/expenditure) and leads to increased food intake and decreased fat burning. The type of food you eat does matter – blindly aggregating calories without regard to the composition of the calories is not exactly a reasonable nutritional regiment!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Eating a lot of sugar raises insulin levels in the blood, which deposits energy from foods into fat cells. Fructose causes resistance to leptin (regulates energy intake/expenditure) and leads to increased food intake and decreased fat burning. The type of food you eat does matter – blindly aggregating calories without regard to the composition of the calories is not exactly a reasonable nutritional regiment!

Protein is also highly insulinogenic, herp derp
  • fishing4jc
    fishing4jc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me to break my strong desire for sugar was to do the NO grains diet for 3 weeks. The first two days were hard, but after that piece of cake. . .oops, bad choice of words. I haven't craved a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup for months. . and that's huge for me. I used to grab one about 5 times a week. Anyway, you can google search no grains diet and see what you think. Wish you the best.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar...doesn't matter if it comes from a candy bar or a strawberry...

And yet for many people candy bars are far more tempting to eat than strawberries. Why?

Convenience

Was just thinking that lol... I never walked into a gas station and found strawberries but I always walked out with a couple Reese's peanut butter cups and a King Size Snickers.....

LOL I do not see too many gas stations with a produce section ....

Ah but they are stepping up their game.... I walk into a gas station last week on a trip that had sushi in the cooler right next to the ready to eat cold lunchmeat subs.. and bananas on a rack by the register so they are trying..... lol

bro, gas station grade sushi is a major no no in my book...but if you need to lose ten pounds quick, why not?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Anyone that tells you that all sugar is the same is delusional. "I got fat from eating too much fruit!" said no one, ever.

if you eat 3000 cals a day in fruit and you are 500 over maintenance then you will gain weight...

and yes, sugar is sugar....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar...doesn't matter if it comes from a candy bar or a strawberry...

And yet for many people candy bars are far more tempting to eat than strawberries. Why?

Convenience

Was just thinking that lol... I never walked into a gas station and found strawberries but I always walked out with a couple Reese's peanut butter cups and a King Size Snickers.....

LOL I do not see too many gas stations with a produce section ....

Ah but they are stepping up their game.... I walk into a gas station last week on a trip that had sushi in the cooler right next to the ready to eat cold lunchmeat subs.. and bananas on a rack by the register so they are trying..... lol

bro, gas station grade sushi is a major no no in my book...but if you need to lose ten pounds quick, why not?

My thoughts exactly and is why for convenience I would probably go with the snickers bar over the sushi... Ha..
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This. Most people are so terribly bad at tracking intake and calorie burn that I take anecdotal evidence on this as laughable.