Sugar addiction....

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    True! With the big picture though- fruits are not at gas stations, CVS or any convient stores, but candy bars are. Thats what I meant by convenient.

Sure, this is true of gas stations, but the gas stations tangent here is kind of beside the point in terms of the behavioral addiction of food.

For most of us, we can buy good and bad foods at the grocery store. We aren't limited to gas stations. So the convenience factor is out the window. When I wanted to eat ice cream, I'd drive to whatever store had the ice cream I wanted. Convenience was not a factor - finding New York Super Fudge Chunk was the factor.
    I understand your point, but when somebody pulls into the gas station and are hungry....what are the options?.....convenience;)

It is called Gas Station CONVIENCE stores so....I hope the answer is obvious. :laugh:
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Oreos don't require additional containers (so to speak). It's packaged and can be taken and stored anywhere.
    Oreos have a longer date in which they can be kept without being eaten.
    Oreos won't go bad if left out or in direct sunlight.
    Oreos won't make a drawer, etc fragrant while sitting in there.
    Oreos aren't as sticky as dates when you eat them.

ETA: And as others have said prior - the availability in where you can get them - gas stations and vending machines.

All of these things are true about Oreos (and manufactured food in general), but they are not what makes them pleasurable to eat or why I like eating them.

I don't eat an Oreo cookie thinking, "Man, I want to eat another one of these because they have a long shelf life and are so convenient to eat!"

Come on! Who picks food like this? First and foremost in the "what to eat" question is, "What tastes good?"

Would you eat a turd just because it was convenient and made your drawer fragrant while sitting in there?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    True! With the big picture though- fruits are not at gas stations, CVS or any convient stores, but candy bars are. Thats what I meant by convenient.

Sure, this is true of gas stations, but the gas stations tangent here is kind of beside the point in terms of the behavioral addiction of food.

For most of us, we can buy good and bad foods at the grocery store. We aren't limited to gas stations. So the convenience factor is out the window. When I wanted to eat ice cream, I'd drive to whatever store had the ice cream I wanted. Convenience was not a factor - finding New York Super Fudge Chunk was the factor.
    I understand your point, but when somebody pulls into the gas station and are hungry....what are the options?.....convenience;)

Most sell sandwiches, string cheese, yogurt, etc. Also protein bars, muscle milk, etc.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Again, deliciousness.

Exactly. They are pleasurable to eat.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

It is called Gas Station CONVIENCE stores so....I hope the answer is obvious. :laugh:
    [/quote]lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Again, deliciousness.

Exactly. They are pleasurable to eat.

I find chicken breast pleasurable to eat as well. That's why I eat 2 lbs a day.

What I said, exactly was deliciousness. Not Pleasurable. I think Oreo's are more delicious than dates.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If its binge eating you're talking about I know that can certainly feel like an addiction. If it really is a problem maybe Counselling could help as there could be underlying things going on
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Have you ever really been addicted to anything?

Behavioral addictions? Yes.
    Smokers won't give up smoking for chewing gum because chewing gum IS NOT tobacco!!!!

Because chewing gum won't satisfy the addiction and tobacco will. It's not because the chewing gum is more convenient, it's because it does not satisfy the addiction.
    Smokers will smoke a toilet tasting cigarette to get their fix.
    Smokers will smoke cigars or turn to chew to get their fix if there is nothing else.

That's right, because it's the nicotine that is needed to satisfy the addiction. Convenience won't satisfy the addiction.
    Gamblers will turn to online gambling, race tracks, or other venues to satisify their needs. They won't take on fishing unless money is riding on who gets the biggest catch or if they have a bet on fishing team.

That's right - it's the thrill of the gambling that satisfies the addiction, not convenience.

It's the same way with food. It's the pleasure of food that satisfies the addiction. You can make vegetables more convenient all you want, they won't provide the same kind of pleasure as a piece of cake.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Oreos don't require additional containers (so to speak). It's packaged and can be taken and stored anywhere.
    Oreos have a longer date in which they can be kept without being eaten.
    Oreos won't go bad if left out or in direct sunlight.
    Oreos won't make a drawer, etc fragrant while sitting in there.
    Oreos aren't as sticky as dates when you eat them.

ETA: And as others have said prior - the availability in where you can get them - gas stations and vending machines.

All of these things are true about Oreos (and manufactured food in general), but they are not what makes them pleasurable to eat or why I like eating them.

I don't eat an Oreo cookie thinking, "Man, I want to eat another one of these because they have a long shelf life and are so convenient to eat!"

Come on! Who picks food like this? First and foremost in the "what to eat" question is, "What tastes good?"

Would you eat a turd just because it was convenient and made your drawer fragrant while sitting in there?

Your analogies are far fetched and don't lend credibility to your arguments.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Have you ever really been addicted to anything?

Behavioral addictions? Yes.
    Smokers won't give up smoking for chewing gum because chewing gum IS NOT tobacco!!!!

Because chewing gum won't satisfy the addiction and tobacco will. It's not because the chewing gum is more convenient, it's because it does not satisfy the addiction.
    Smokers will smoke a toilet tasting cigarette to get their fix.
    Smokers will smoke cigars or turn to chew to get their fix if there is nothing else.

That's right, because it's the nicotine that is needed to satisfy the addiction. Convenience won't satisfy the addiction.

Omg...it is NOT convenient for a smoker to go paying a $1 for a cigarette or to choke down one that tastes like a toilet.

And the toilet tasting cig is not an exaggeration. I know because I used to smoke and have been so desperate for a cigarette I'd beg for it and have smoked those nasty tasting ones.

Why? I was ADDICTED and it was CONVENIENT to just deal with what I could get my hands on.

If you are really addicted to sugar, it isn't going to matter what kind when you are "needing your fix." You will turn to what is most convenient regardless of quality.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in general, the fit people that have selfies with toned muscles and washboard abs think that sugar isn't addictive, while the heavier ones seem to think it is.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    I find chicken breast pleasurable to eat as well. That's why I eat 2 lbs a day.

Me too. But it doesn't hold a candle to, say, ice cream. The OP is talking about a behavioral addiction to sweets. Yes, you can make due with less pleasurable foods, and as an addict, that is what you have to resign yourself to.
    What I said, exactly was deliciousness. Not Pleasurable. I think Oreo's are more delicious than dates.

Yes, but deliciousness is pleasure from food.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Delicious

de·li·cious (d-lshs)
    adj.
    1. Highly pleasing or agreeable to the senses, especially of taste or smell.
    2. Very pleasant; delightful: a delicious revenge.

Our brains have reward circuitry for good-tasting food. You are calling this "deliciousness", but what is really happening is that our brains are receiving pleasure from the stimuli. And this stimulus can be addicting.

As the American Society of Addiction Medicine says, "Food and sexual behaviors and gambling behaviors can be associated with the "pathological pursuit of rewards" described in this new definition of addiction."
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in general, the fit people that have selfies with toned muscles and washboard abs think that sugar isn't addictive, while the heavier ones seem to think it is.

maybe it's only addictive if you have a 30+ BMI? lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And many of those people with the toned muscles and washboard abs did not always have toned muscles and washboard abs.

Some of them were once 300 pounds.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It is good idea to know the story behind the "washboard abs". Maybe they were heavy once! Just a thought! This is a support site and everyone has their own story:)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Even at my heaviest, I don't think sugar is addictive in the way people keep pushing it out. Guess I must be a special snowflake? :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

Even at my heaviest, I don't think sugar is addictive in the way people keep pushing it out. Guess I must be a special snowflake? :laugh:
    I have had a pretty serious sweet tooth most of my life. I am not addicted to sugar, though. I enjoy the taste of sweet things. I can go long periods of time without them with no ill effects, though.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Omg...it is NOT convenient for a smoker to go paying a $1 for a cigarette or to choke down one that tastes like a toilet.

I didn't say that it was.

You claimed that someone who is addicted would substitute something convenient over something not as convenient to satisfy their addiction.

And clearly this isn't true. Someone who is addicted can only satisfy their addiction through something that satisfies the addiction. Convenience doesn't enter into it. It doesn't matter how much more convenient you make chewing gum over a cigarette, only the cigarette is going to satisfy the addiction.
    And the toilet tasting cig is not an exaggeration. I know because I used to smoke and have been so desperate for a cigarette I'd beg for it and have smoked those nasty tasting ones.

I have no doubt that you would take a bad-tasting nicotine delivery system if that was all you could get. But you would not substitute something with no nicotine in it just because it was more convenient.
    Why? I was ADDICTED and it was CONVENIENT to just deal with what I could get my hands on.

OK, you are saying that you will take the more convenient nicotine source over a less convenient nicotine source.

Sure. I can believe that. But it still has to be a nicotine source to satisfy your addiction.
    If you are really addicted to sugar, it isn't going to matter what kind when you are "needing your fix." You will turn to what is most convenient regardless of quality.

Like I said, it's probably not the chemical of sugar itself that makes it addicting. It's the pleasure in how it tastes. You won't "get your ice cream fix" from a pile of grapes, no matter how much more convenient the grapes are.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    And many of those people with the toned muscles and washboard abs did not always have toned muscles and washboard abs.

And not one of those 300lb'ers got fat from eating too much fruit, nor lost weight from cutting fruit from their diets.
  • rml_16
    Options

And not one of those 300lb'ers got fat from eating too much fruit, nor lost weight from cutting fruit from their diets.
    And I would bet 90% of them didn't cut any other sugar source, either.