Sugar addiction....

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Anyone that tells you that all sugar is the same is delusional. "I got fat from eating too much fruit!" said no one, ever.

But that's not because the sugar is different.

It's just that there aren't many natural foods that are as delicious as man-made processed foods that have been engineered to be extremely pleasurable to eat.

Not many people said they got fat from eating too much fruit because there's no fruit that tastes like Ben & Jerry's ice cream.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    1 date has 16g of sugar...

And an Oreo cookie only has 13 grams of sugar.

But Oreos are far more compelling to eat than dates. Why?
    Convenience and preference!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Convenience

I assure you, if you were to put a plate of candy bars in front of me next to a plate of strawberries, it would not be convenience driving me to eat the candy bars.

It is simply that the candy bars are much more pleasurable to eat.

*facedesk*
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    I can totally relate, as I am sure many of us can, really.

I don't eat it anymore. Maybe once or twice a month.

What I did... i went to Splenda, then to Stevia AND Splenda, then mostly Stevia... and focusing on honey and fruit instead, more often than not.

I never focused on sugar alone. I made a LOT of dietary changes.

Now I eat fruit and have balanced meals throughout the day, and there is rarely a sugar craving in sight! I have honey for the benefits every now and then. I also eat frozen ripe bananas and add cacao powder. VERY very good for you, and blended together tastes like a chocolate shake.

Don't put a lot of thought into it or think of it as your worst enemy. Again, just make a few other positive changes, dietary or otherwise, so it won't be all focused on sugar alone.

I stopped eating sugar, among other things, and with dietary changes alone, I lost 20 lbs. in 3 months.
  • myhawby
    myhawby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those who say there is no such thing as sugar addiction. When I give up eating sugary foods, I get irritable and a headache. To me that sounds like some kind of withdrawal symptoms. Granted they are no the same as alcohol or heroin withdrawals, but neither are the symptoms of caffeine withdrawals...yet caffeine is definitely addictive.

Because many foods contain sugars, it can be difficult to rid your diet of sugar entirely. I think fruit is a good substitute for processed sugars. Sugar/glucose is necessary for brain function. In nature, when we needed more glucose, we would choose something sweet like fruit. However today a candy bar, piece of cake or soda packs an even bigger punch and we have trained our bodies to crave those instead of fruit. We associate our sugar lows with being remedied by the processed foods and not by the natural sugars in fruit. So we have to retrain our bodies to associate healthier, natural sugars with the need for glucose. So whenever you are craving sweets, make it a rule to eat fruit. Many fruits will make me grumpy or sickish if I eat them alone, so I choose to eat them with a protein to keep the sugar rush and drop from affecting me. Bananas with peanut butter are a personal favorite...even better when the peanut butter is the natural kind with no added sugar. Apples with peanut butter are very good as well. Strawberries or pineapple with cottage cheese, grapes with cheese. If you are someone who likes something sweet after meals, then just about any fruit will cleanse your palette after a meal containing protein.

One last thing. Some people think that carbs=sugar. Not true. Sugar=sugar, but carbs especially complex (unprocessed) carbs must be broken down in our bodies to make sugar to use as energy.. These carbs are not as bad for us as simple sugars because they don't spike and drop our blood sugar as quickly. have found the Sugar goal on this site helps me keep my sugar intake in check and encourages me to choose more complex carbs for energy. My allotted goal is about 25 grams of sugars a day. This includes all hidden natural and processed sugars. I try to stay within that goal and the fact that it is counted for me makes it easier. Lower sugar fruits include tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, grapefruit, etc.

From someone who also must fight the sugar monkey-on-her-back addiction daily...I wish you good luck.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    That's how most things work. It's not that most actually crave the candy bar, just something sweet and in a world were time has become rush rush rush...convenience tends to override the realization of what we really want and our thought processes on even how much we want.

That's not the way it works for a food addict addict, though. It's about an in ability to control eating for pleasure. Convenience has nothing to do with it. I can buy good food as easily as bad food at the grocery store. But I bought the bad food because it was more pleasurable to eat.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Because dates are disgusting.
    The combination of sugar and fat is one of the most appealing tastes.

Stuff a date with cheese and wrap in bacon - cook. I promise you... not disgusting.
  • toxicat
    Options
    Eat dates. Middle-eastern people eat these as a dessert. They're extremely sweet, but much better for you than candy or soda and definitely help wean you off the refined sugars that can cause addiction. It's a good transition food if you're looking to cut down on sweets altogether, which does promotes feelings of overall well-being.

Dates have natural sugar, as do all fruits. That doesn't mean don't ever eat fruit or dates. They do not have refined sugar. Dates are extremely good for you. I would eat them along with honey and fruit every now and then, not because I was craving sugar, but to balance my meals throughout the day with benefits from a variety of whole foods.

Just don't eat 20 a day. Just eat a few. I also eat Larabars. Many of them only have dates, nuts, and a fruit of some sort, for example.

It helped me get out of the habit.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    It isn't the sugar in a candy bar that's the problem. It's the rest of it, uncluding the number of calories. And it's a lot easier to eat 500 calories in candy bars (two Snickers, for example) than 500 calories in strawberries (I think my stomach might rupture first).

Exactly. Like I've been saying - not only are the processed foods more tempting to eat because of taste, they are usually very calorie-dense also.

So it's very easy to over-consume calories on processed foods compared to "natural" foods. That's not to say you can't do it, especially if you drop some serious coin on prime rib or the like, but it's generally harder to over-consume calories eating "natural" foods. They aren't as pleasurable to eat and generally aren't as calorie-dense.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Check ingredient labels every time you buy something or eat something.

THIS. I like sugary things too. But, I just checked out the calories in a walnut cranberry cookie that I was eating. thank goodness I was ONLY half way into cause the darn thing was 300 calories! NO, THANK YOU! Basically, about the same calories that I burned running 3 miles this morning. NOT worth it.
  • toxicat
    Options
    I disagree with those who say there is no such thing as sugar addiction. When I give up eating sugary foods, I get irritable and a headache. To me that sounds like some kind of withdrawal symptoms. Granted they are no the same as alcohol or heroin withdrawals, but neither are the symptoms of caffeine withdrawals...yet caffeine is definitely addictive.

I agree, 100% possible to have sugar addictions. Most dieticians or nutritionists will tell you that as well.

I did eliminate ALL sugar from my diet, including ketchup, for example. It's possible, and not as hard as it sounds, if you find the steps that work for you. But good point, sugar is hidden in a lot of foods. Some people don't realize where it hides.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I may not be physically addicted to it but if feels like it has a strong hold on me. I know this might sound super dramatic but it's the best way I can describe it. I don't drink much soda but I love cookies, cakes, donuts etc. I will do great for a few days then splurge on something and then it's all downhill again. I have gained control over all other aspects of my eating except this part. I am just looking to find people who can relate to what I am going through.

I know that the change starts with me...

Get rid of the "all or nothing" mentality. Having a few cookies every day and hitting your calorie goal can go a long way toward controlling the splurges.

^^This 100 times..No other way to lose & then maintain weight without having a balance
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It isn't the sugar in a candy bar that's the problem. It's the rest of it, uncluding the number of calories. And it's a lot easier to eat 500 calories in candy bars (two Snickers, for example) than 500 calories in strawberries (I think my stomach might rupture first).

Exactly. Like I've been saying - not only are the processed foods more tempting to eat because of taste, they are usually very calorie-dense also.

So it's very easy to over-consume calories on processed foods compared to "natural" foods. That's not to say you can't do it, especially if you drop some serious coin on prime rib or the like, but it's generally harder to over-consume calories eating "natural" foods. They aren't as pleasurable to eat and generally aren't as calorie-dense.
    Oh, I find strawberries and many other fruits very pleasurable to eat. I do crave them. I even crave salad (I make a darned good one). But I can eat a whole bowlful of baby spinach for not even 50 calories, so I'm not going to get fat from it.

I can also eat an entire bag of mini Reese's PB Cups. That would cause a weight problem if I did it regularly. So I don't anymore.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    That's how most things work. It's not that most actually crave the candy bar, just something sweet and in a world were time has become rush rush rush...convenience tends to override the realization of what we really want and our thought processes on even how much we want.

That's not the way it works for a food addict addict, though. It's about an in ability to control eating for pleasure. Convenience has nothing to do with it. I can buy good food as easily as bad food at the grocery store. But I bought the bad food because it was more pleasurable to eat.

If you are really a food addict, you won't care about what tastes better...convenience will override each time. Real addiction works that way.

If you are that particular, than you aren't addicted..you are obsessive.
  • maillemaker
    Options

Definitely preference! But convenience? They are both available at the same grocery store. There is nothing more convenient about a date vs. an Oreo.

But taste? Absolutely.
  • toxicat
    Options

[/quote]

Probably because you prefer the taste of an Oreo over a date, as well as the texture, appearance... it's all in how you think about it. For me, I had to train my brain that dates have far more nutrients than Oreos. Or any fruit. Or any food. And from natural sources too. I was 100% a sugar addict and took plenty of medications too. I am off them now. It is possible believe me, I've been there, and it didn't happen over night. :)
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Convenience

I assure you, if you were to put a plate of candy bars in front of me next to a plate of strawberries, it would not be convenience driving me to eat the candy bars.

It is simply that the candy bars are much more pleasurable to eat.

*facedesk*

What is it about my statement that you find surprising?
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Definitely preference! But convenience? They are both available at the same grocery store. There is nothing more convenient about a date vs. an Oreo.

But taste? Absolutely.
    True! With the big picture though- fruits are not at gas stations, CVS or any convient stores, but candy bars are. Thats what I meant by convenient.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

But taste? Absolutely.

Oreos don't require additional containers (so to speak). It's packaged and can be taken and stored anywhere.
    Oreos have a longer date in which they can be kept without being eaten.
    Oreos won't go bad if left out or in direct sunlight.
    Oreos won't make a drawer, etc fragrant while sitting in there.
    Oreos aren't as sticky as dates when you eat them.

ETA: And as others have said prior - the availability in where you can get them - gas stations and vending machines.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    If you are really a food addict, you won't care about what tastes better...convenience will override each time. Real addiction works that way.

WHAT?!?!

So someone addicted to cigarettes will switch to chewing gum if it is more convenient?

Someone addicted to gambling will take up fishing if it is more convenient?

Nope.

Behavioral addictions cause brain changes that are brought on by the stimulation that comes from that particular behavior.

You can't just substitute some other more convenient but non-stimulating behavior and expect it to satisfy the addiction.

For food addiction, the entire addiction revolves around the pleasure derived from the taste of food, not the convenience of it.