Reverse dieting

Options
Angeltheskinnylegend
Angeltheskinnylegend Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello, after 5 months of heavy restrictions i messed up my metabolism. For a couple of weeks i have been doing a reverse diet and i just increased my cal intake by 100cal/ day. Does anyone have any tips for this diet that will minimize the amount of weight i gain. Right now im eating 1300 cal/ day, i want to get to 1600cal/ day.

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you have messed up your metabolism? What does messed up mean, for you?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    How many calories have you been eating and for how long? What is your current weight? It can be dangerous for some people to raise calories by quite a bit if they have over-restricted for a long time. If that sounds like you, please see a doctor first.

With that said, unless you suffer from anorexia and/or have been over restricting, just jump right in to the 1600 (or up to Maintenance.)
    Here's the very informative Refeed thread with good solid references:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You can do increased 100 daily for a week - next week another 100, repeat.

Many find when they do slow increases at some point the body gets unstressed and whoosh - water weight drop.
    Then more increase and daily activity comes back up to normal level, or staying warm easier, increased calorie burn.
    Many report several weight drops as calories goes up.

Just keep the math in mind to reassure yourself of any scale weight increases that might happen, since water weight will be part of that too. Increased carb storage after all. Reversal of the big water weight drop most experience when starting a diet. More food in your gut. You should gain some weight at some point.

If you were truly eating 100 calories over your real daily burn - it would take 35 days to slowly add 1 lb of fat.
    Reread that.

So if a big jump of scale weight - wasn't that.

How much avg daily deficit do you think you had for the 5 months of diet?

What did the rate of loss start out as (not counting initial water weight drop 1st or 2nd week)?

And if you kept eating less because you weighed less to keep the deficit, what did the rate of loss change to?

Messed up metabolism can be done, and that is referring to BMR, but body starts adapting to foolishness by other methods that can be recovered from.
  • becsyboodle1
    becsyboodle1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Download the Carbon diet app - this is designed to help you reverse properly you can select revers diet and it will track your measurements and increase your calories accordingly to minimise weight gain