I've found the secret

Options

Replies

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Ellienz1 wrote: »
    It is low fat but thats why it works the starch soloution instructs low fat. My protein is around 35g a day. Maybe it won't be beneficial for me in the long run but maybe it will. I'm not clogging up my body with dairy and red meat

That's going to end up being a problem for you. The minimum requirements for protein are around 50-60 grams (I believe it's a minimum of 54g for women, 58g for men) and it's vitally important that you get enough protein, especially while losing weight, so you don't lose muscle.

If you'd like to make your diary public, we could perhaps suggest ways to add some more protein to your meals? Or, if you'd just like recommendations, some things like tofu scramble, chickpea salad sandwiches (using avocado instead of vegan mayo, for low-fat), seedy oatmeal (a good source of omega-3's and protein), and lettuce, bacon tempeh, and tomato sandwiches could go a long way to making your protein goals as a low-fat vegan while also helping you stick with the diet long-term.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,602 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @Ellienz1 I believe that vegans who make the effort are, absolutely, able to take in all the protein and fats that they need. And they can do so without clogging anything with anything they don't want to consume.

On an 1800 Cal diet, 35g of protein is less than 8%. As a vegan you only run into a few sources of complete proteins, so I am not even sure at your current levels that you're taking in all the amino acids that your body needs.

There has been a lot of research in the past decade that seems to imply optimum protein intake levels are substantially higher than the RDA for protein which would be considered a rock bottom minimum. As in double the RDA, or even more! Yes, I am fairly sure that at >8% you're not even reaching the RDA.

At examine.com you can read an excellent discussion on how much protein might be optimal for you. https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

A factual correction and extra explanation re my earlier post:

Lack of complete protein sources is not necessarily a problem if you take in all the necessary amino acids.

However you probably need to intake extra (not less) unbalanced protein sources in order to consume enough of each of the amino acids that you need.

And the sentence starting with Yes should read: YET (not yes)...and <8% as compared to the exact opposite >8% I wrote earlier.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    kwashiorkor

I seriously need to buy stock in google. :) I learn new stuff here every day.

Me too 😁
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    kwashiorkor

I seriously need to buy stock in google. :) I learn new stuff here every day.

I saw that and thought it was a typo or something 😆
  • Rox4191
    Rox4191 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Current research suggests that red meat is a carcinogen. Obviously "current research" changes all of the time. But personally I have no doubt that the environment and my body would benefit if I consumed fewer animal products.

All of that aside, I think the basis of the Starch Solution is caloric density and fullness factor. Potatoes in particular, have been rated the highest of all foods on the satiety index. Meaning that a plain cooked potato by weight will make you feel fuller than any other food. Potatoes contain about 350 calories per pound. By comparison, olive oil contains 4,000 calories per pound. Lean ground beef contains around 800. Broccoli has 150.

Most humans on average eat 3-5 pounds of food a day, regardless of the type of food. The idea is if the bulk of our diet came from starches, we would naturally be consuming fewer calories without feeling hungry. Is that feasible for everyone? No. I prefer balance and I NEED chocolate in my life. But it definitely makes me rethink the amount of butter I put on my toast, and maybe swap my steak for lentils every once in a while. The principals in the Starch Solution (and similar programs) are what helped me lose my last 30 lbs. It's not my bible but I think it a good tool. As with all things, to be taken with a grain of salt.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Rox4191 wrote: »
    Current research suggests that red meat is a carcinogen. Obviously "current research" changes all of the time. But personally I have no doubt that the environment and my body would benefit if I consumed fewer animal products.

All of that aside, I think the basis of the Starch Solution is caloric density and fullness factor. Potatoes in particular, have been rated the highest of all foods on the satiety index. Meaning that a plain cooked potato by weight will make you feel fuller than any other food. Potatoes contain about 350 calories per pound. By comparison, olive oil contains 4,000 calories per pound. Lean ground beef contains around 800. Broccoli has 150.

Most humans on average eat 3-5 pounds of food a day, regardless of the type of food. The idea is if the bulk of our diet came from starches, we would naturally be consuming fewer calories without feeling hungry. Is that feasible for everyone? No. I prefer balance and I NEED chocolate in my life. But it definitely makes me rethink the amount of butter I put on my toast, and maybe swap my steak for lentils every once in a while. The principals in the Starch Solution (and similar programs) are what helped me lose my last 30 lbs. It's not my bible but I think it a good tool. As with all things, to be taken with a grain of salt.

I can eat a crap ton of potatoes, and not feel satisfied. Protein satisfies me, not carbs. So, your assertion that by consuming the bulk of our diet from starches will make us not feel hungry, is not true. It might work for some, but the sugar crash makes you crave more, and be hungry sooner.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

I can eat a crap ton of potatoes, and not feel satisfied. Protein satisfies me, not carbs. So, your assertion that by consuming the bulk of our diet from starches will make us not feel hungry, is not true. It might work for some, but the sugar crash makes you crave more, and be hungry sooner.

Hmm.. starchy foods! Bread, oats, rice, pasta, couscous.. yes, also potatoes every now and then. They really make me full. But non-starchy veggies, protein and fats do nothing for me. But the good thing is: Bread is life! :D<3
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Hmm.. starchy foods! Bread, oats, rice, pasta, couscous.. yes, also potatoes every now and then. They really make me full. But non-starchy veggies, protein and fats do nothing for me. But the good thing is: Bread is life! :D<3

Well, if you are what you eat, right now I'm this delicious garlic bread on naan(?) type thing cuz HOLY CRAP I'VE EATEN A LOT OF IT OVER THE PAST 3 DAYS.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Hmm I can take or leave most bread, but a decent sourdough dipped into an olive oil and balsamic mix - now THAT I could eat tonnes of 😀
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Hmm I can take or leave most bread, but a decent sourdough dipped into an olive oil and balsamic mix - now THAT I could eat tonnes of 😀

Oh nom!
    It's interesting though: The TO eats potatoes. And that's really the only starchy food she mentions. Where are the other lovely starches?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,066 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Oh nom!
    It's interesting though: The TO eats potatoes. And that's really the only starchy food she mentions. Where are the other lovely starches?

Sweet potato (kumura), pears, banana? Yeah, those have a lot of (inherent) sugar, but also complex carbohydrates (starches), not all of them fiber.

Somehow I get 225g+ carbs pretty much every day, but don't eat much bread (meh to me, mostly), or potatoes, and it's not all sugars by far.

Note: This is not an endorsement of OP's overall dietary approach. Far from.