Macros not making sense

Options
A nutrition coach suggested my macros should be at 30P, 30C, 13F per meal.

This makes no sense to me. Doesn't it need to total 100% and aren't the numbers supposed to be in increments of 5?

Thanks for any insight!
Tagged:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    30/30/30 (ish - so more like 33.33 each) is a common macro split. Are you sure you got your numbers right? Sounds like a miscommunication.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,475 Member
    Options
    You need to ask your coach. You're paying them, thus they should clarify. Maybe they mean grams though. That would be 30*4 + 30*4 +13*9 = 357 calories per meal. How many meals per day?
  • sadietowler
    sadietowler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did reach out and ask but was only sent a link to two different articles with a "read this". I read them and neither article addressed my specific question above.

cmriverside she sent me a printout and I sent it back highlighting my question because that was my thought. But nada, just two links as outlined below.

Yirara, that's a good thought but I am only at 3 meals per day (I'm not a snacker) so that would have me at under 1200 calories.

Thank you
  • sadietowler
    Options
    @yirara thanks fir your insight/questions. That was the issue. She had me calculated for mid morning and afternoon snacks, which I do not eat. No wonder I was so low in my calories (only had 808 yesterday). I will just shift those snack macros/calories to lunch and dinner then. Thank you
  • saraheduxbury
    saraheduxbury Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A nutrition coach suggested my macros should be at 30P, 30C, 13F per meal.

This makes no sense to me. Doesn't it need to total 100% and aren't the numbers supposed to be in increments of 5?

Thanks for any insight!

Thats grams. So your coach is suggesting that in each meal you should get 30g of protein, 30g of carbs and 13g of fat.

• sadietowler
    Options
    @lemurcat2 and @lynn_glenmont thank you, very much!
  • sadietowler
    Options
    @lemurcat2 I do strength training consistently and have for several years but I haven't been able to lose or achieve definition. My goal in seeking the nutrition counseling was to start paying close attention to macros in order to both lose weight and help build muscle. I know there are different ways to achieve this but I do not have enough knowledge of all that to do this on my own. Feeling pretty duped and disappointed right now.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do strength training consistently and have for several years but I haven't been able to lose or achieve definition. My goal in seeking the nutrition counseling was to start paying close attention to macros in order to both lose weight and help build muscle. I know there are different ways to achieve this but I do not have enough knowledge of all that to do this on my own. Feeling pretty duped and disappointed right now.
    Disappointed, sure. Duped I'm not sure. The thing is it's easy to earn the credentials as a nutrition coach or trainer because they only test your knowledge. Coaching is way more about listening, observation, communication, and motivation. Lots of coaches out there with all the right credentials who suck at what they do. You couldn't know until you know.

So...the great fitness paradox...getting bigger and smaller at the same time. It's not a crazy involved process to understand, but not always easy to pull off. Let's back up a step. What has your diet been like...consistent? satisfying? healthful? is your weight stable? If those things are mostly true you might only need little adjustments on food choices and not bog down with a new program. Do you have a trainer you work with? Is your training progressive or are you doing the same stuff you've always done?
  • sadietowler
    Options
    ciaoder wrote: »
    Let's back up a step. What has your diet been like...consistent? satisfying? healthful? is your weight stable? If those things are mostly true you might only need little adjustments on food choices and not bog down with a new program. Do you have a trainer you work with? Is your training progressive or are you doing the same stuff you've always done?

My diet is healthy and pretty consistent though and my weight is also pretty consistent. I have basically hovered at right around the same weight for years now. I have always and still do work with a trainer who is great. He is always pushing us to be better. Combo of strength training, TRX and HIIT. I box on Saturdays and now that its getting warmer my daily walking will increase. I also workedcout consistently through the entire pandemic, "meeting up" and working out with my trainer and my sister via WhatsApp and I have a gym at home so my workoutscwere still intense (ropes, trx, slamball, weights, etc) I'm strong, I'm fit and functional but I am just not losing.

What I'm finding from journeling my food is that my biggest battle is getting the calories in. According to what I've entered, I should be eating about 1700 calories per day. Some days I'm lucky if I can get 1200 in which is crazy to me. I don't know how to bring thst up without throwing everything out of whack and gaining though. When I was young I only had to think about losing weight and it would just drop off. Not now; post 50 is a totally different story!
  • sadietowler
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Echo o Far and away, total calories make the biggest difference.
    boionicclqf5.png

This may very well be my issue. It's so hard for me to accept but through journeling the last few weeks, I may need to eat more. I'm not meeting the calories. My meals are well balanced but I am finding it impossible to meet calories. I end the day with a ton of calories left.
  • sadietowler
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Suggest you have a read of this and my bet is it will give you far better guidance..

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Can't emphasise enough that it's primarily your calorie balance that determine your weight loss and the quality of your training that provides the driving force for building muscle. They are the two areas to get right - macros can be widely individually variable to support the processes.

Thank you for this link. I will take a close read and see where I can adjust. My calories, as I mentioned to others, may be a big factor
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    If the problem is not losing fat you wish to lose, the reason is not eating too little.

Logging food accurately takes a little practice, and there are lots and lots of mistakes that are easy to make that add up. The scale would seem to suggest you are actually eating closer to maintenance. There are super helpful threads that explain how to make logging more accurate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,542 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Echo o Far and away, total calories make the biggest difference.
    boionicclqf5.png

This may very well be my issue. It's so hard for me to accept but through journeling the last few weeks, I may need to eat more. I'm not meeting the calories. My meals are well balanced but I am finding it impossible to meet calories. I end the day with a ton of calories left.

If you are losing weight (on average over a month or more), then you are eating too few calories if your goal is to keep weight steady but increase muscle. If you are trying to lose weight - which I hope would be trying to lose very slowly as it sounds like you have muscle-gain goals but may not be extremely overweight? - and you aren't losing over a period of a month or more, then you may be eating at maintenance calories.

Note: If you are trying to lose slowly, but have ramped up exercise intensity or volume (especially strength exercise), it could take 2 or more months to see the fat loss on the scale, because it can play peek-a-boo with water retention for a really long time. If you're an adult woman not yet in menopause, only compare weights at the same relative point in two or more different menstrual cycles, to get averages.

It is narrowly possible to be eating fewer calories (by a bit) than you could be eating, and still maintain your weight (or lose slower than expected) and to therefore be underfueling your exercise. The mechanism for that possibility is subtle fatigue, essentially. You might perceive it, or you might not. Think hard: Are you resting more? Feel fatigued? Sleep more? Drag through your day more often? Put off more energy-intensive home chores? Feel less interested in non-exercise hobbies/activities that require physical movement? Hair thinning? Nails brittle? Feel cold frequently? etc.

If you think this could be you, then eating a little more might be helpful. (Gradually adding 50-100 calories daily, then waiting a week or two for the next add, is the common way to try to bump things up in the "not losing, should be, maybe eating too little" scenario).

For sure, 800 calories (if accurate) is disaster poised to happen. Increase from that to a sane level for your current weight and weight loss/muscle gain goals in one go, and don't freak out if you get a water-weight/digestive contents leap on the scale immediately when you do so.

I'm going to snip/repeat this good remark, for added emphasis:
    sijomial wrote: »

Can't emphasise enough that it's primarily your calorie balance that determine your weight loss and the quality of your training that provides the driving force for building muscle. They are the two areas to get right - macros can be widely individually variable to support the processes.

Truest truth! It's the training that builds muscle, with appropriate calories and good nutrition as supports. Building muscle happens quite slowly, under the best of conditions: Weeks to months and years. Still worth pursuing.

However, if you are carrying a bit much body fat, you can build a good bit of muscle and it will not show, particularly if female (because of how our body fat is distributed).

Personally, I'd been active for over a decade while overweight (just over the line into class 1 obese, 183 pounds (83 kg) at 5'5" (165cm) when I started losing weight. It wasn't until I got down to maybe 135 pounds (61kg) that it started to show up a bit, and realistically 10 pounds (5kg-ish) lower makes a bigger difference in appearance. Those exact weights wouldn't apply to others. (I have a pretty narrow build, so need to be lighter than some would at similar height.)

But the general concept does apply, that one needs to reach a reasonably low body fat level, for women probably in the mid/low 20 percents zone or lower, for muscle to show. (It could be a lower percent for men, likely, but I'm not a man so know less about that.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,687 Member
    Options
    If you’re eating at a deficit, doing some cardio and/or weight training regularly, something should be happening.

I’m pushing 60 and this is my third anniversary working with a trainer. In 2018 I was well into obese BMI range, but now a little over 21% body fat per my last DEXA. I don’t do particularly heavy weights, but I’ve been taught to do them effectively. I eat a lot (usually about 2500-2700 but I’m cutting right now) and if I didn’t have a boatload of extra skin from weight-loss around my midsection, I’d probably be sporting a six pack. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’m not a unicorn. I just work out consistently and hard and try to eat comparatively nutritiously.

Are you weighing and logging carefully? You may be eating more than you think, or crediting yourself for too many exercise calories. I don’t even count calories from the weight room against my diary because it’s such a stop and go workout.

My trainer (2x/week) changes it up on me all the time. It might be normal bar bench presses, or, like yesterday, bamboo presses. She only repeats a workout once or twice a month and even then she makes sure it’s different.

I also make sure I have a wide variety of activity- yoga, Pilates, walk, aquafit. I’m thinking of taking some swimming lessons to learn how to swim laps, since I can’t run for a while due to an issue.

I think having such a variety has done wonders for flexibility, strength, and building muscle

“Past 50” is - and I’m saying this gently and kindly because I wholeheartedly believed it, too- an excuse.

If you’re looking for results, you have to buckle down and look at everything you’re doing, specifically and as part of an overall plan.

Good for you for doing what you are doing. Regular exercise and being “fit and functional” are nothing to sneeze at.

I’m always flabbergasted when someone just five years older than me is hobbling and complaining. I just feel really sorry for them. That could still be me and you.
  • sadietowler
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    [. Feel fatigued? Sleep more? L Hair thinning? Nails brittle? Feel cold frequently? etc.

Yes, since I had COVID, all of this! I've always run hot, sweltering regardless of season. Since COVID, I have had days lately where I just could not get the chill out of my bones the entire day. I always say a room temp should never go above 68 and the other day had it at 72 because I was so cold. I just had a doctor's appointment and all my bloodwork and tests are all good.