Who Is That Fat Old Man?!?

Options
_F3N1X_
_F3N1X_ Posts: 4 Member
Once upon a time...

I was a US Army Special Forces Soldier. Now I'm nearly 60 - and I don't know what happened!

I'm 70 pounds overweight, I get winded climbing a flight of stairs, and I can barely recognize myself in the mirror.

I finally had enough - and with the help of this wonderful app, my eating is already getting much better and I returned to working out (gently) a week ago.

That said...

I've never been one to ask for help, but... HELP!!!

Any support any of you can give me will be truly and greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to join me for mutual support on a journey to optimal health, please connect.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Easy. Just find users whose routine is similar to you or whose advice you respect and ask the friend them.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Q - "Who Is That Fat Old Man?!?"

A - Next year's slim and fit old man.

You must have had high capabilities when you were in the military and that will help you regain fitness a lot quicker.

(BTW - Just turned 62 and currently in training for a 100 mile charity bike ride. Aiming for a finish in under six hours. Challenge yourself and you will be surprised how much progress you can make.)

This^^^^ I think you just need some incentive. Go.
  • GMaDot93
    GMaDot93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All vets and supporting spouses: If you receive any healthcare through VHA, check out the Whole Health program. The VA decided a few years ago to develop a delivery program to address a person's entire health support, including "non-traditional" methods, such as acupunture (currently only offered to PTSD patients). There are also new apps specific to health goals and mental and physical support that you can download, if you enrolled in MyHealtheVet (digital record access). Contact your primary clinic and search for Whole Health on your regional VA healthcare site. MFP should integrate nicely within Whole Health. Good luck and Huzzah for starting these improvements to your health and life!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Maybe join in one of the Challenges or groups in this section:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

You can read the intros of each, see what seems like it might fit you? It's a good way to stay engaged, get support, find like-minded people to send MFP friend requests to.

I'm kind of a crummy MFP friend, but find participating in the Community forums pretty helpful. Don't feel afraid to mix in with the (relative) kiddos - we have more in common across the age groups than you might assume, when it comes to managing weight and (re-)building fitness. I'm betting you have some past experience on the "getting fit" front that could be insightful to others.

We're at different places right now, but I did join MFP when I was 59, then working on 50+ pounds to lose (as most likely a smaller person than you - I'm 5'5" - and 100% more female). In less than a year, I was at a healthy weight, and have stayed there for 6+ years since, now age 66. Unlike you, I'd been pretty sedentary in adulthood until my mid/late 40s, but became quite active then, and remain active now.

You absolutely can achieve your goals. Age is no barrier. In fact, I think we have some advantages with age, in the form of a lot of self-knowledge (if we can be honest), and a certain wiliness in how to manage our own preferences, strengths and limitations on the way to accomplishing our goals.

Pursuing fitness/healthy weight with commitment, but sensibly gradually, in a way that makes the process easier for each of us personally - IMO that's a good route.

Wishing you much success!