Why are so many people against juicing?

Options

Replies

• toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I assume we're talking the diet craze and not sports? If so, then in terms of getting proper nutrients & weight loss, juicing probably isn't any better than consuming fruits and vegetables (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/juicing/AN02107) and in some cases, can be down right dangerous (http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(13)00390-2/fulltext).
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Why is it a bad idea if you want to retain muscle?

Have you tried to juice a chicken breast? Try some soybean even... its absolutely horrific. Many of the high protein veggies do NOT juice well.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Because there is no reason to juice as opposed to eating fruits/veggies. Its like getting all the nutrients without any of the fiber.

AND many people replace meals with juicing, lose a bunch of weight, dont sustain it and then gain all the weight back once they start eating real food again.

If you're capable of sustaining it and you don't like eating food, more power to you!

edit to say: the above is assuming you are simply ADDING juice into your diet. Start replacing meals with it and thats an even worse idea (especially if you want to retain muscle).

Because you cannot, usually, get enough protein using this method. Unless I am mistaken. If you ARE getting enough protein, please share how much you're consuming per day using this method.
  • whierd
    Options
    I don't buy into the detox thing. But I do buy into a great way to pack alot of nutrients into a small package.

And I agree with this, which is why I stated before that I support it as an addition to a current diet. :smile:
  • MistleToeSter
    MistleToeSter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cannot figure this out. It must be something like immigration or something, just a hot button topic.

Because it's another "diet of the week" solution. It is NOT feasible for 99.99% of people on an ongoing basis and short term solutions just result in regain and juicing is worse than most. Drinking some juice in your diet isn't bad... I like some fresh carrot, apple, celery juice... sounds weird, tastes great! That said, making it your whole diet isn't a very good solution because it's not something you are going to be able to stick with... because that is what results in long term sustained weight loss.

There are alot of people here and on the reboot site who last quite a bit of weight. Of course NO DIET is for a few months only, it has to become a way of life. And that is why I am continuing to juice some days to keep the weight off.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    because I enjoy actually eating my food...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Because there is no reason to juice as opposed to eating fruits/veggies. Its like getting all the nutrients without any of the fiber.

AND many people replace meals with juicing, lose a bunch of weight, dont sustain it and then gain all the weight back once they start eating real food again.

If you're capable of sustaining it and you don't like eating food, more power to you!

edit to say: the above is assuming you are simply ADDING juice into your diet. Start replacing meals with it and thats an even worse idea (especially if you want to retain muscle).

This.
  • MistleToeSter
    Options
    I notice more men are ANTI-JUICING than women:smile:
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm getting the sense that you have something to prove here, so why not just get on with it?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Cannot figure this out. It must be something like immigration or something, just a hot button topic.

Because it's another "diet of the week" solution. It is NOT feasible for 99.99% of people on an ongoing basis and short term solutions just result in regain and juicing is worse than most. Drinking some juice in your diet isn't bad... I like some fresh carrot, apple, celery juice... sounds weird, tastes great! That said, making it your whole diet isn't a very good solution because it's not something you are going to be able to stick with... because that is what results in long term sustained weight loss.

There are alot of people here and on the reboot site who last quite a bit of weight. Of course NO DIET is for a few months only, it has to become a way of life. And that is why I am continuing to juice some days to keep the weight off.

The reason you lost weight was because of the deficit you created. You are essentially replacing a meal with something much lower in calories. Unfortunately, when you go back to eating an actual meal that deficit is no longer.

This is why it's important to either learn how to eat a balance diet of FOOD at a deficit OR juice/replace a meal indefinitely.

You are however depriving yourself of important fats and protein. This is why i said its not good for retaining muscle.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    Yeah because people will juice a chicken breast.

Why are people so dumb?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Have you tried to juice a chicken breast? Try some soybean even... its absolutely horrific. Many of the high protein veggies do NOT juice well.

I'm really hoping someone comes out with a gif of that haha
  • MistleToeSter
    Options

Kale and spinach do ok.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I like to juice because I literally get high on it. For real, I get this crazy euphoria feeling for about an hour where I'm full of energy. I love it, I juice produce all the time.

Maybe because with a large amount of calories that is typically in a juice, you also get a heck of a lot of sugar.....and maybe that causes your " high " and then .....puff......it diminishes.

I live by the motto " if you can't eat it in one sitting,don't drink it either " ( meaning the amount of fruit and veggies ). I would juice, if my jaw was wired shut....but that's about it.
    I know people who make juice from 4-5 oranges and drink that, even though they would never eat 4-5 oranges in one sitting and then wonder why they have problems with their glucose levels.
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Paleolithic men did not have juicers

Had I been drinking juice when I read this it would have come out my nose.....Lol
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the detox thing. But I do buy into a great way to pack alot of nutrients into a small package.

The problem with this is your body needs a certain amount of fat to digest the nutrients in food, be it juice or solid. Many nutrients are fat soluble. You also need a certain amount of protein to maintain LBM. The more the better. Most juice diets are lacking in both of these departments. The two most important. Fat and protein are essential nutrients. Not that carbs are evil, they're great when you exercise and are eating sufficient other stuffs. You also get rid of a significant portion of fiber in the fruit/veg when juicing.

Juicing works as a weight loss tool because it forces most people to eat within a calorie deficit. You do not need to drink juice to do this. Eat to much juice and you're still screwed.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    juice baby juice, just booze
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    I use 1 fruit when I juice, to mix it with the veggies. I highly doubt there's a ton of sugar in what I juice.
  • MistleToeSter
    Options

The reason you lost weight was because of the deficit you created. You are essentially replacing a meal with something much lower in calories. Unfortunately, when you go back to eating an actual meal that deficit is no longer.

This is why it's important to either learn how to eat a balance diet of FOOD at a deficit OR juice/replace a meal indefinitely.

You are however depriving yourself of important fats and protein. This is why i said its not good for retaining muscle.

I am eating three to four days a week and juicing the other days. Why I should eat pathetic little meals, weighing out foods, obsessing over every grain of rice, eating six times a day (an insulin trigger) is beyond me. Cannot do it.

I have lost weight by juicing and am continuing to keep it off by juicing.

Why cant everyone just say "Well, good for you".
  • whierd
    Options

I am eating three to four days a week and juicing the other days. Why I should eat pathetic little meals, weighing out foods, obsessing over every grain of rice, eating six times a day (an insulin trigger) is beyond me. Cannot do it.

I have lost weight by juicing and am continuing to keep it off by juicing.

Why cant everyone just say "Well, good for you".

You made this thread asking people why they are against juicing.