What's the deal with low carb diets?

Options

Replies

• GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    By the way re carbs - a jacket spud slathered in butter? Absolute bliss 😀

Bliss indeed, especially with a generous sprinkle of 🧂 and pepper! Sour cream is also a wonderful topping for a humble spud! 😋
  • LivingLifeInNY
    LivingLifeInNY Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Excessive Carbs/Processed Foods/Sugars
    1. Root cause of body and brain inflammation
    2. Root cause of Type 2 diabetes (T2D)
    3. Root cause of Obesity
    4. Raises Triglyceride (along with low HDL Cholesterol) leads to cardiovascular disease
    5. Raises insulin causing glucose spikes leads to always being hungry (over eating) and sluggishness/brain fog throughout the day

One may be able to handle this when they are young, but it builds slowly over time like wait gain and next thing you know it you're paying thousands dollars a month on insulin because of T2D and other medications that will effect your health in other ways. Pay now, not later with your health...
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    azuki84 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with carbs. But a lot of carbs in your typical grocery store that are easily accessible tend to be processed, and some people do not seem to understand how to discern between wholesome unprocessed carbs (steel cut oats, vegetables, etc) vs your typical white bread or cookies.

You keep on talking about 'processed' as if it's something bad. Have you ever looked up the list of ingredients from an 'honest' wholegrain bread sold at a bakery? It's full of additives. And btw, what's wrong with white bread? Heck, look up the list of ingredients of a typical while Arabic flatbread! You can't go a lot more 'unprocessed' than that where bread is concerned. Whole parts of southern Europe eat white bread, and many people are a heck more healthy than elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with processed, there's nothing wrong with carbs. Eat what you like, but try to get a half good mix of nutrition.

Stop trying to overly dissect what I typed. My point is unprocessed > processed. If you're trying to win that argument you obviously do not understand nutritional value.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. But a lot of carbs in your typical grocery store that are easily accessible tend to be processed, and some people do not seem to understand how to discern between wholesome unprocessed carbs (steel cut oats, vegetables, etc) vs your typical white bread or cookies.

You keep on talking about 'processed' as if it's something bad. Have you ever looked up the list of ingredients from an 'honest' wholegrain bread sold at a bakery? It's full of additives. And btw, what's wrong with white bread? Heck, look up the list of ingredients of a typical while Arabic flatbread! You can't go a lot more 'unprocessed' than that where bread is concerned. Whole parts of southern Europe eat white bread, and many people are a heck more healthy than elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with processed, there's nothing wrong with carbs. Eat what you like, but try to get a half good mix of nutrition.

Stop trying to overly dissect what I typed. My point is unprocessed > processed. If you're trying to win that argument you obviously do not understand nutritional value.

Technically, if I pluck an organic strawberry from my garden, stem it, and freeze it, I have processed it.

That's why here on MFP I say "Ultra-processed foods" and give a link to the NOVA classification: https://world.openfoodfacts.org/nova
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Technically, if I pluck an organic strawberry from my garden, stem it, and freeze it, I have processed it.

That's why here on MFP I say "Ultra-processed foods" and give a link to the NOVA classification: https://world.openfoodfacts.org/nova

LOL, synchronicity? You posted while I was typing. 😉
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    *Sighs heavily.*

Unless it's in the comb, raw honey is processed: Centrifuged, maybe strained, bottled (ignoring the processing the bee does).

Yet here we are, arguing about "processed" foods, again.

LOL I knew I should have put the disclaimer. I don't eat honey (unless it's honey flavored...ooooo honeycomb!) and kinda just plucked that food/ingredient out of....er...thin air. So kinda just took a shot.

But good to know because you'd think raw means just that. :)

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Regarding food processing - here’s a random thought. Food processing evolved as a way to store food from bountiful seasons for hungry seasons. I freeze veg, have pickled eggs in the past (although I don’t like them so stopped 🤣), make chutney to use up green tomatoes, make jam with overripe fruit, make apple crumbles with dodgy windfalls… you get the picture. So good processing has been around as long as we have. And sometimes I even (shock horror) eat chocolate, store bought biscuits and cakes (and I eat a lot of homemade flapjack using refined sugar because, frankly, it is delicious). So processing does not mean bad. As with everything in life, moderation and variety is good for you.

And back to carbs: I love them, eat tonnes of them and have c20-22% body fat (not bad for a 47 year old woman). They are NOT bad for you!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    So processing does not mean bad.

ABSOLUTELY THIS. I'm pretty sure most people are quite thankful that their tap/drinking water is processed. I'd be willing to bet a nasty case of dysentery would change the mind of anyone arguing that ALL processing is bad...

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There is a wide range of processing from very little to ultra processed. A person needs to evaluate each food in terms of what works for them and is sustainable. There is a huge difference between flash freezing broccoli straight from the farm and what goes into making an oreo cookie and what nutritional value each brings to the table. In my opinion a minimally processed as close to whole food approach is probably ideal whether your way of eating is LCHF or something else. I know when I mention something processed it is in terms of the food industry making some frankenfood stuff so I probably need to post something like heavily processed, ultra processed, or just say junk food moving forward. Don't be a "Junk Food Junkie"
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Wait.

Oreos?

Thanks. Now I want an Oreo.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Wait.

Oreos?

Thanks. Now I want an Oreo.

Oreos have protein! And are vegan ( I think). And have a gluten free version.

They're practically a health food.

And, as some of us just learned, healthy foods can be processed 😀
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    How did we get from carbs to processed foods? So many carbs available that aren't processed food, and so many processed foods that aren't carbs/high carb.
    (rhetorical question obviously, I read the previous posts so I know how we got to that point in the conversation, but the aspect processed or not is really nothing to do with whether or not carbs are good for us)

Another high carb eater here (both processed as well as unprocessed) and zero problems. I would even think I'd be in trouble eating low carb if I wanted to keep up my exercise activities.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    How did we get from carbs to processed foods? So many carbs available that aren't processed food, and so many processed foods that aren't carbs/high carb.
    (rhetorical question obviously, I read the previous posts so I know how we got to that point in the conversation, but the aspect processed or not is really nothing to do with whether or not carbs are good for us)

Another high carb eater here (both processed as well as unprocessed) and zero problems. I would even think I'd be in trouble eating low carb if I wanted to keep up my exercise activities.

Was it because of me? I get defensive over the whole processed is bad thing. :)

Carbs are not bad. Carbs are my life. Carbs have not killed me yet (and I'm old).