If you've heard "70% diet, 30% training".....

Options

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I always took it to be related to weight loss, not training as an athlete. If we are talking about athletic training, I'd say it's 90% training and 10% diet.

That doesn't make much sense, then why when I was playing football did our nutritionist ride our *kitten* so much? You can't put it into % when you are talking about athletic training. You just have to buckle down and give 100% to both. No compromise.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 100% diet, and then you just needed to train enough to burn off the calories you consumed in alcohol.

^^ This

You can lose weight without exercising at all. Weight loss is truly 100% about diet. Burning off alcohol calories is making the assumption that you ate as much as you drank. :bigsmile:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Lol... I agree. It has become such a silly cliche.

So, if I wanted to run a marathon and my diet was perfect but I didn't do much training, I would be at least 70% prepared for it? Uh, don't think so. :noway:

It's about creating a fluid system instead of compartmentalizing everything.

WEIGHTLOSS is said to be 80% diet, 20% exercise... (i have never heard 70/30 before)

thats not the same thing as traning for a marathon, is it?!

My point was it is meaningless whether it is for a marathon or just losing weight. And I've heard people tell me similar cliches for sports, weight lifting, running, etc. How about this: So I can lose weight without doing any exercise, therefore diet is 100%.

80-20?
    70-30?
    90-10?

What difference does it make? This is a dumb thread about a dumb, simplistic saying.

Excuse me, the Miley show is being shown again.

Hope I didn't miss the repeat of her twerk
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I always took it to be related to weight loss, not training as an athlete. If we are talking about athletic training, I'd say it's 90% training and 10% diet.

That doesn't make much sense, then why when I was playing football did our nutritionist ride our *kitten* so much? You can't put it into % when you are talking about athletic training. You just have to buckle down and give 100% to both. No compromise.

When I was playing sports, I ate whatever I felt like eating. Our high school didn't have a nutritionist. You can be the star of the team without watching your diet at all.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I aways heard it as 60% diet, 30% fitness, 10% genetics to lose weight. *shrugs*

100% Diet
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No, I hear ya, bro.

It's more like 73% nutrition, 27% exercise...
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

When I was playing sports, I ate whatever I felt like eating. Our high school didn't have a nutritionist. You can be the star of the team without watching your diet at all.

I think we are talking different levels. High School years are a bit different then your college and later years.
  • anubhavsharma18
    anubhavsharma18 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It means you burn 30 calories doing exercise and eat 70 back. :)
  • spiffybarbarella1
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. I have had times where I have worked out intensely for 2 to three hours a day and eaten crap, therefore gained weight. Then there have been times where I have eaten 400 calories a day for a month and lost a LOT of weight without exercising at all! (size 10 to a size 4, to be exact). Weight loss is definitely more about the diet.
  • spiffybarbarella1
    Options
    I aways heard it as 60% diet, 30% fitness, 10% genetics to lose weight. *shrugs*

100% Diet

YES!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 100% diet, and then you just needed to train enough to burn off the calories you consumed in alcohol.

Amen. :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I think we are talking different levels. High School years are a bit different then your college and later years.

Yeah, I quit playing competitive sports after high school. I just played intramural and local adult leagues. Then I got married, had kids, and quit doing anything at all. :blushing:

But even now, I won't let someone tell me what to eat. Screw that! :smokin: :drinker:
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    56% Diet
    23% Exercise
    16% Genes
    11% Beer
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Yeah, I quit playing competitive sports after high school. I just played intramural and local adult leagues. Then I got married, had kids, and quit doing anything at all. :blushing:

But even now, I won't let someone tell me what to eat. Screw that! :smokin: :drinker:

I quit after college and got married.. Got fat, now trying to get back to unfat. ;-)
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree with 100% dedicate or lifestyle!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I quit after college and got married.. Got fat, now trying to get back to unfat. ;-)

:drinker:

Right there with ya!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I would say it's 100% diet for weight loss. I agree exercising is healthy; it's good for your heart and bones, will help you look good naked and help you acheive weight loss by creating a deficit but it's not necessary. The benefits of exercise are many, but in my humble opinion. it isn't necessary to acheive weight loss.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for sure lol.

Um, I think the 70/30 arguement is about losing weight, not running a marathon.....