If you've heard "70% diet, 30% training".....

Options

Replies

• mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    I agree with the context post. I hope people can see that.

.. except I DO read a lot. Like to think I've still incorporated the "doing" part as well.

The context post debunks 70/30 perfectly. It is a generalized statement that is completely useless

JUST lose weight = Calorie deficit (not 70/30)

GAIN muscle = calorie excess + solid training (not 70/30)

Win a halo tournament = Play a lot of halo (not 70/30)

I'm going to say it one more time so everyone sees - I have never seen the 70/30 meme posted with any specification of weight loss, etc. It was generalized for training/fitness
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    ^I can't see imgur photos.
    Everyone here is DOING. You can do both. If if wasn't for thinking I'd still be low carbing and doing Barbie exercises at the gym. There is nothing wrong with information, discussion and even a little debate. That's how people learn.

Oh absolutely. Proper research goes along with maximizing results

But research/information does not equal silly thrown together ratios that promote laziness in one aspect.

I've seen your responses, we're on the same page trust me. Just others are literally putting words in my mouth (or posts?) when I never specified the ratio for anyhting, and even if I did I still was trying to stress that it wouldn't matter. Why lose out on any benefits to accompany a good diet? Just my opinion. I'm allowing others to have theirs.. if you want to follow ratios (notice how much it keeps changing already too, it's now at 90/10 - see my point) then OK. But there is another way of looking at it, and that is what I am trying to promote.

The people who are willing to learn will understand what you mean. The ones who aren't will not be helped by this or any post on the entire forum. I agree with you about not overcomplicating things 100%
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    OP, you're getting too hung up on the made up number. It's just a stupid number. Diet > training, forget ratios.
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    Sorry. You're the one over thinking this. You can't tell noobs to consider everything because thats lame. You have to break it out in small easily digestible chunks. So, coming up with a little saying isn't for you and me, it's for people that don't understand to sort of get an idea of how it all works together. The more advanced you get, the less that kind of drivel matters to you. Just like as an adult, the alphabet song is stupid. To just tell someone who is new to all this that everything matters is like handing a baby War and Peace and demanding they read it.

I love the alphabet song.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    OP, you're getting too hung up on the made up number. It's just a stupid number. Diet > training, forget ratios.

Yeah pretty much. I don't think anyone is actually going out there and making their lives fit to that ratio. If anything it's a general statement meant to let people know that weight loss in general is more about diet than exercise.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to win the next halo tournament (or whatever the current hot game is), then neither diet nor exercise matter. If your goal is to lower your cholesterol, then both matter, but for different reasons than if you goal was to win your next triathlon, but on 20lbs of muscle, or lose 100lbs.

I'm pretty sure it's been scientifically proven that your chances of winning a Halo tournament go up 1000% if you supplement with Mountain Dew Code Red.
  • highervibes
    Options
    If anything it's a general statement meant to let people know that weight loss in general is more about diet than exercise.

^^ this
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to win the next halo tournament (or whatever the current hot game is), then neither diet nor exercise matter. If your goal is to lower your cholesterol, then both matter, but for different reasons than if you goal was to win your next triathlon, but on 20lbs of muscle, or lose 100lbs.

I'm pretty sure it's been scientifically proven that your chances of winning a Halo tournament go up 1000% if you supplement with Mountain Dew Code Red.

We always used Adderall...
  • mud7urtle
    Options

Yeah pretty much. I don't think anyone is actually going out there and making their lives fit to that ratio. If anything it's a general statement meant to let people know that weight loss in general is more about diet than exercise.

Just because you and other people don't follow it mindlessly.. doesn't mean there aren't people who do and once again, crap on on training and other important aspects. Those are the people I'm trying to reach :)

and LOL at code red aiding Halo skill. The days man, the days.

Agreed at it being a generalized statement. Sometimes I think people didn't actually listen to me in the vid, I said a lot of what is being repeated in here including diet is MASSIVELY important and controls how your body is progressing as far as weight, etc..

I should have made the video 10 seconds long: "Eat and train to the best of your abilities and forget silly rations". Done.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the context post. I hope people can see that.

.. except I DO read a lot. Like to think I've still incorporated the "doing" part as well.

The context post debunks 70/30 perfectly. It is a generalized statement that is completely useless

JUST lose weight = Calorie deficit (not 70/30)

GAIN muscle = calorie excess + solid training (not 70/30)

Win a halo tournament = Play a lot of halo (not 70/30)

I'm going to say it one more time so everyone sees - I have never seen the 70/30 meme posted with any specification of weight loss, etc. It was generalized for training/fitness

As do I. Clearly the key to success is 40% reading/60% doing.
  • mud7urtle
    Options

hahahaha made me lol irl
  • highervibes
    Options

^ I like what you did there
  • highervibes
    Options
    Well, that's a wrap! Back to the sugar addiction thread...
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think the point is you can loose weight by just dieting but there is only so much you can loose before you have to start incorporating exercise (as you gradually adjust to a certain calorie intake)/feel the need to tone up loose skin/flabby areas.

To the people that are thinking of loosing weight without exercise, get of your butt and do some! It is one way to make sure you change your lifestyle, not just your food intake for the next week.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think the point is you can loose weight by just dieting but there is only so much you can loose before you have to start incorporating exercise (as you gradually adjust to a certain calorie intake)/feel the need to tone up loose skin/flabby areas.

To the people that are thinking of loosing weight without exercise, get of your butt and do some! It is one way to make sure you change your lifestyle, not just your food intake for the next week.

Good point! Adding to that: losing weight with diet alone will make a "smaller" you, but adding in exercise with proper macros, and instead of just a smaller version of you, you can have body recomposition. :flowerforyou:
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ^I can't see imgur photos.
    Everyone here is DOING. You can do both. If if wasn't for thinking I'd still be low carbing and doing Barbie exercises at the gym. There is nothing wrong with information, discussion and even a little debate. That's how people learn.

Oh absolutely. Proper research goes along with maximizing results

But research/information does not equal silly thrown together ratios that promote laziness in one aspect.

I've seen your responses, we're on the same page trust me. Just others are literally putting words in my mouth (or posts?) when I never specified the ratio for anyhting, and even if I did I still was trying to stress that it wouldn't matter. Why lose out on any benefits to accompany a good diet? Just my opinion. I'm allowing others to have theirs.. if you want to follow ratios (notice how much it keeps changing already too, it's now at 90/10 - see my point) then OK. But there is another way of looking at it, and that is what I am trying to promote.

Where have you ever seen this or any similar ratio used in relation to training? I agree that diet has less to do with training, but that's like saying "cake DOES NOT improve your chess skills." No one has ever attempted to make that correlation.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    56% Diet
    23% Exercise
    16% Genes
    11% Beer

Win. :drinker:

[Except for the fact that the above numbers equal 106.]
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry. You're the one over thinking this. You can't tell noobs to consider everything because thats lame. You have to break it out in small easily digestible chunks. So, coming up with a little saying isn't for you and me, it's for people that don't understand to sort of get an idea of how it all works together. The more advanced you get, the less that kind of drivel matters to you. Just like as an adult, the alphabet song is stupid. To just tell someone who is new to all this that everything matters is like handing a baby War and Peace and demanding they read it.

I love the alphabet song.

If you sing the alphabet song while washing your hands with soap in hot water, it will be the recommended length to kill most flu and cold germs. :smile:
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    WRT to weight loss, MFP is all about calories in / calories out, right? Here's my data over the last 200 days:

Calories in:

I lost 20 lbs over this period, so that would indicate I burned 70,000 more calories than I took in. I burned 61,864 calories doing exercise over that period.

Conclusion?:

1. 88% of my weight loss was due to exercise. Had I not done that exercise but had the same caloric intake, I would have lost 2.3 lbs vs 20 lbs. Of course, I could have just eaten 61,864 fewer calories and had the same weight loss. But then I wouldn't look like this:

20130816frontshot.jpg