MFP says to eat 300g of carbs a day

Options
Mfp says to eat 300 grams of carbs a day. This seems really high to me. I am so lost with this. Can someone help me out here?

Replies

• mariahk35
    Options
    I look at it more as do not go over this amount, not try to eat this much. In carbs I get no where near what mfp suggests but I am near my calories.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Since getting diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last year, I'm told only to have 155g of carbs per day. If I exercise, I'm allowed to add more, but even then it doesn't even reach 200.
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    IIFYM says 34 grams a day that seems low... but 300 is too high. I think maybe somewhere in between.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat about the break-downs. As long as I've not gone over my calores and preferably have had my 5-a-day fruit and veg and enough protein I'm happy. I see them more as a guideline to help keep to a balanced diet.

ETA you can adjust them, and should do if you have a specific medical condition which restricts your calories (or your fat or sugar or protein.... make it work for you!)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    You can change these settings. These are just the default and probably based on the government RDA. Go higher protein and lower carb for faster fat loss
  • yolandaelizabet
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    IIFYM says 34 grams a day that seems low... but 300 is too high. I think maybe somewhere in between.

See if you can do 100-150.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Baloney. Not proven. Caloric deficit. Brain aneurysm.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings like this:

Home
    Goals
    Change goals
    Custom

Then change to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. That's what most use on here.

Having said that, there's no reason to limit your carbs unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

You've lost that because of a calorie deficit, not low carb.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Consult a medical professional if you want a good plan tailored to your individual needs; then you don't have to sort through all the varying opinions on here. Good luck!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm on 300g of carbs (65% of my calories) but I am training for a marathon
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

You were eating in a caloric deficit is how you lost the weight, carbs are not the enemy here. People can lose weight eating carbs, I have lost over 300 pounds and have never ate less than 240 grams of carb a day (that was in the very beginning) and am currently eating around 400 grams a day....
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Good post! My intake is set by MFP to 300 too, I find it very weird. I usually eat no more then 60 and I am constantly overdosing proteins, and it works for me.
  • denjohnson
    Options
    I teach diabetes classes and we recommend for males 60 - 75 grams per meal, 45-60 grams per meal for females as well as 15-30 grams for snack for males and 15 grams for snack for females.

So for a male at the higher end if you have 75 gr/3 meals that is 225 + 30 gr/2 snacks that is 60 = 285

You can lower by gong for 60 gr/meal and 15 gr/snack for a total of 210 gr/day

The idea is to have healthy carbs such as fruits and veggies instead of the starchy carbs
  • Emsie_lou
    Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Im sorry but this is crazy and dangerous diet, you couldn't live like this for the rest of your life. I thought losing weight is about a change of life.

Oh and to let you know I eat at least 200 gr carbs a day with my calories and exercise and so far this week I have lost 5 lbs or 2.2 kg and the week isn't over yet! I have a delicious diet and I workout hard so no need for fad diets.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I teach diabetes classes and we recommend for males 60 - 75 grams per meal, 45-60 grams per meal for females as well as 15-30 grams for snack for males and 15 grams for snack for females.

So for a male at the higher end if you have 75 gr/3 meals that is 225 + 30 gr/2 snacks that is 60 = 285

You can lower by gong for 60 gr/meal and 15 gr/snack for a total of 210 gr/day

The idea is to have healthy carbs such as fruits and veggies instead of the starchy carbs

Regardless of weight/height/calorie intake?
    This seems silly.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You can adjust it. I don't normally have over around 60. Good luck!