MFP says to eat 300g of carbs a day

Options

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    IMO, at your weight of 370lbs a low carb diet would not be such a bad idea.

Would look something like this...
    2000 cals per day
    20% protein = 100 grams = 400 cals
    10% carbs = 50 grams = 200 cals
    70% fat = 155 grams = 1400 cals (actually 1395 but I am rounding)

As far as what to eat, here is a good place to start.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/#axzz2dHY5hs49

Exercise... for now I would just walk... A LOT!

As your weight comes down and you become more active (more frequent and more intense exercise) you can, and should increase your carbs.

As with anything, you need to do your own due diligence and find what works best for you. This is just my opinion based on what I have myself tried, and have seen work for others.

Hope this helps...
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs because I'm a vegan and eat lots of fruits and whole grains and whatnot. Good carbs, good. Bad carbs, bad.

Bad carbs bad? Please elaborate

This has been discussed before. The food companies found out a way to make processed carbohydrates store as fat even if you eat at a deficit. Catch up, man.

What am I catching up to, nonsense bro science?

Show me the processed carbs that you speak of. Just because you brought it up before doesn't make it true. Don't tell me you read it in a blog somewhere, show me actual evidence.

Well prove me wrong! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO MEAN? Ok so I read it in a blog. There, are you happy now?

I don't have to prove anything. I'm not the one claiming magical carbs exist.

I'm actually not happy.....I was expecting a tougher comeback. I'm leaving disappointed.

I've lost 13 pounds so far by only eating fruits. THAT is proof enough.

Ok. If you want to take the argument to that level.

I've lost 73 lbs eating barely any fruit while eating white flour tortillas, yellow rice and ice cream every day. Pizza every week.

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious
  • scottaworley
    Options

2000 cals per day

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/#axzz2dHY5hs49

As your weight comes down and you become more active (more frequent and more intense exercise) you can, and should increase your carbs.

As with anything, you need to do your own due diligence and find what works best for you. This is just my opinion based on what I have myself tried, and have seen work for others.

Hope this helps...

People who are obese often have cholesterol issues. High fat diets are often high in saturated fats. Diets high in saturated fats are suggested to have a negative impact on cholesterol. I'm not sure this is the best advice.
  • paleojoe
    Options

2000 cals per day

Hope this helps...

People who are obese often have cholesterol issues. High fat diets are often high in saturated fats. Diets high in saturated fats are suggested to have a negative impact on cholesterol. I'm not sure this is the best advice.

You might change your mind if you read the link of what food are suggested?
    Fat, even saturated fat is also not the demon is made out to be...
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs because I'm a vegan and eat lots of fruits and whole grains and whatnot. Good carbs, good. Bad carbs, bad.

This has been discussed before. The food companies found out a way to make processed carbohydrates store as fat even if you eat at a deficit. Catch up, man.

Show me the processed carbs that you speak of. Just because you brought it up before doesn't make it true. Don't tell me you read it in a blog somewhere, show me actual evidence.

Well prove me wrong! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO MEAN? Ok so I read it in a blog. There, are you happy now?

I'm actually not happy.....I was expecting a tougher comeback. I'm leaving disappointed.

I've lost 73 lbs eating barely any fruit while eating white flour tortillas, yellow rice and ice cream every day. Pizza every week.

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

How exactly am I trolling. Anyone that knows me knows my thoughts on food. You think I am going to make up what I eat to make a point? Feel free to view my diaries.

Typical, when someone has no way to solidify their argument they resort to name calling, well played.

Do you even lift?
  • scottaworley
    Options

2000 cals per day

Hope this helps...

I agree, but people with cholesterol issues (I'm one of them) probably would be better advised to avoid saturated fats. I think that primal has its benefits and advantages, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Mfp says to eat 300 grams of carbs a day. This seems really high to me. I am so lost with this. Can someone help me out here?

The number of carbs that you eat is going to be something that's going to vary by individual as what constitutes 'enough' or 'too many' is a combo of many factors ranging from your exercise routine, to your current weight, to your insulin sensitivity. Etc.
  • paleojoe
    Options

2000 cals per day

Hope this helps...

I agree, but people with cholesterol issues (I'm one of them) probably would be better advised to avoid saturated fats. I think that primal has its benefits and advantages, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

No argument there... no diet is right for everyone. Some work better then others... but none are for all, all the time.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Mfp says to eat 300 grams of carbs a day. This seems really high to me. I am so lost with this. Can someone help me out here?

The number of carbs that you eat is going to be something that's going to vary by individual as what constitutes 'enough' or 'too many' is a combo of many factors ranging from your exercise routine, to your current weight, to your insulin sensitivity. Etc.

Correct!
  • scottaworley
    Options

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

How exactly am I trolling. Anyone that knows me knows my thoughts on food. You think I am going to make up what I eat to make a point? Feel free to view my diaries.

Typical, when someone has no way to solidify their argument they resort to name calling, well played.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/five-foods-should-never-be-your-grocery-cart
    I'll listen to the Dr.
  • paleojoe
    Options

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

He is not trolling... I know him personally. Yes, he does lift... A LOT!
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

I'll listen to the Dr.

Just scaremongering media as per usual. What he should have put is 'Eat in moderation and if it fits within your calorie goals'

Of course if you eat that type of food all day everyday you will be come a fat lazy miserable mofo.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I changed mine manually to 30% carbs, 30% fat and 40% protein. And it comes to 128 for carbs, 57 for fat and 170 for protein.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Baloney. Not proven. Caloric deficit. Brain aneurysm.

Not quite baloney, but 30 grams should NEVER be attempted for more than week or so to jump start weight loss.
    Agreed, your brain will short circuit! Even Paleo dieters stay at 100 - 150 and they are the poster children for low carb / high fat.

I agree, ONLY for carb cycling should you be eating this low. It is not sustainable in any way. If you're a marathon runner, you need the carbs. I love to weight lift so I do low carb (100g) and high protein. I try and keep under 100g of carbs a day, but my absolute max is 150g. This allows me to stay under my calorie goal too.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    300g carbs? seems fine to me
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't see too big of issue with 300g of carbs per day if you are working out. Carbs translate into fuel for your body. BUT keep in mind the difference between "good carbs" and "empty calroie" carbs.

Banana= good carb
    Pastries= empty calorie carbs with little/no nutritional value
  • scottaworley
    Options

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

I'll listen to the Dr.

Damn, Now I know you've just been trolling this whole time.

:)