MFP says to eat 300g of carbs a day

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I teach diabetes classes and we recommend for males 60 - 75 grams per meal, 45-60 grams per meal for females as well as 15-30 grams for snack for males and 15 grams for snack for females.

So for a male at the higher end if you have 75 gr/3 meals that is 225 + 30 gr/2 snacks that is 60 = 285

You can lower by gong for 60 gr/meal and 15 gr/snack for a total of 210 gr/day

The idea is to have healthy carbs such as fruits and veggies instead of the starchy carbs

Regardless of weight/height/calorie intake?
    This seems silly.

Actually it is spot on for me (my snacks was 20-25 starting out not 30 but the main meals I was at 70) to where my Endo dr. and Dietician started me at when I weighed 560 lbs. (type 2 diabetic diagnosed in 2009) since then I have up my intake and macro split do to my exercise and goals... My A1c's have average 5.3 for the last 2 1/2 years.....
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what type of workouts your are doing and your overall fitness goal. I'm a runner and I do some hard strength training on my non-running days. My setting for carbs is 300g/day and I need every bit of that. Earlier this year I was trying to drop body fat but maintain weight so my setting was much lower and it worked. But after a couple of months I was struggling to keep up all the running so I bumped my carbs up and feel much better.
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I guess it is kind of the same with sugar in a way. I try to only eat sugar if it is in the fruit naturally. I eat a lot healthier than I ever have in my life so I I just stay away from all the "****ty" foods I should be okay. I am going to lower my carbs, I don't need that many.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm on 300g of carbs (65% of my calories) but I am training for a marathon

Good luck with your training! I'm a new runner and have been contemplating setting my macros to 50-60% carbs, but I'm only running between 35-60 minutes 4 days a week, do you think it's really necessary?
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

try this website calculator you may get a more accurate number or guideline to stick by :O)

(Like my competitor page on facebook!!! www.facebook.com/teamobenchain
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Mfp says to eat 300 grams of carbs a day. This seems really high to me. I am so lost with this. Can someone help me out here?

That's actually only 1200 calories, so it depends on your calorie goal. I eat 2000 calories a day, so I keep my carbs under 250g. (Normally close to 200g)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Yea. You're just saying ridiculousness.

OP, if you are looking to track macros and calories together you can find a good outline in the Roadmap.

I do:
    1g of protein per lb of lbm
    .4g x body weight for fat
    I fill the rest with carbs.

You can go lower carbs or higher, it's really discretionary. You don't need to go low carb for "faster weight loss". This isn't a race and many people who will preach to you that you should go <30g a day will find themselves in the same place they are now next year. It's about finding the balance that works for you.

^^ Good rule of thumb. Personally, I do 0.8g per LBM of protein and 0.35g X body weight for fats, but those are minimums. The rest is for carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I teach diabetes classes and we recommend for males 60 - 75 grams per meal, 45-60 grams per meal for females as well as 15-30 grams for snack for males and 15 grams for snack for females.

So for a male at the higher end if you have 75 gr/3 meals that is 225 + 30 gr/2 snacks that is 60 = 285

You can lower by gong for 60 gr/meal and 15 gr/snack for a total of 210 gr/day

The idea is to have healthy carbs such as fruits and veggies instead of the starchy carbs

^^ Exactly what my husband's diabetic dietitian told him. ..... And this is for diabetics. If you have no insulin issues, then higher numbers won't hurt you at all. Carbs are fuel for your body. Don't dear them!
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs because I'm a vegan and eat lots of fruits and whole grains and whatnot. Good carbs, good. Bad carbs, bad.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs because I'm a vegan and eat lots of fruits and whole grains and whatnot. Good carbs, good. Bad carbs, bad.

Bad carbs bad? Please elaborate

This has been discussed before. The food companies found out a way to make processed carbohydrates store as fat even if you eat at a deficit. Catch up, man.
  • scottaworley
    Options

This has been discussed before. The food companies found out a way to make processed carbohydrates store as fat even if you eat at a deficit. Catch up, man.

What am I catching up to, nonsense bro science?

Show me the processed carbs that you speak of. Just because you brought it up before doesn't make it true. Don't tell me you read it in a blog somewhere, show me actual evidence.

Well prove me wrong! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO MEAN? Ok so I read it in a blog. There, are you happy now?
  • scottaworley
    Options

Show me the processed carbs that you speak of. Just because you brought it up before doesn't make it true. Don't tell me you read it in a blog somewhere, show me actual evidence.

Well prove me wrong! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO MEAN? Ok so I read it in a blog. There, are you happy now?

I don't have to prove anything. I'm not the one claiming magical carbs exist.

I'm actually not happy.....I was expecting a tougher comeback. I'm leaving disappointed.

Reported for bullying
  • scottaworley
    Options

I don't have to prove anything. I'm not the one claiming magical carbs exist.

I'm actually not happy.....I was expecting a tougher comeback. I'm leaving disappointed.

I've lost 13 pounds so far by only eating fruits. THAT is proof enough.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Baloney. Not proven. Caloric deficit. Brain aneurysm.

Not quite baloney, but 30 grams should NEVER be attempted for more than week or so to jump start weight loss.
    Agreed, your brain will short circuit! Even Paleo dieters stay at 100 - 150 and they are the poster children for low carb / high fat.