Tea thread

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Earl Grey and English Breakfast are staples in my house (no milk or sugar). For caffeine-free varieties at night: I like Sweet & Spicy, Pomegranate, and Strawberry Fields.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    I like tea but don't normally drink it. So, when I do, it's either black iced tea (I had no idea that was a normal tea the first time I ordered it!) or right now and more often hot Chamomile. Both with added splenda or sweet n low.

I'm very boring. :)
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    As much as I like a strongly perfumed Earl Grey, I have a big mug of South African rooibois tea every day after lunch. I like both clear. ☕️
  • krjohnson1292
    krjohnson1292 Posts: 37 Member
    I love Chai and Peppermint Green Tea.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    @88AViva I never heard of Assam tea and Googled it and it is in Irish Breakfast teas and has a malty flavor (I now have to be more attentive!).

@azuki84 I also had to Google jujube and barley teas. I would guess I wouldn’t like jujube if you steep the fruit (due to a fruity flavor), but I might like it if the leaves are steeped (supposedly, it is made both ways). It notes that barley tea is bitter, so I’m not thinking I would like that for that reason.

I am finding this thread to be very interesting!

Jujube is definitely a dessert drink, with high cinnamon notes. Definitely not for everyone.

Barley tea is extremely refreshing, small bitter notes. but yes may not work for you.

• 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Imagine a tea club where they send you new teas every month. And new things to learn about tea.

@MaggieGirl135 Yes, Assam tea is versatile and has a decent amount of caffeine too. It's in a few other blends.
    Today I'm having a cup of Russian Caravan tea (Lapsang , keemun and Oolong blend).
    Some of the Russian caravan blends have Assam tea in it, but this one doesn't. Smoky and malty.

@spzjlb I tried liking rooibos but for some reason it's the only tea along with chamomile that I just don't. Herbal and no caffeine 😑
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    I tried Russian Caravan once. It was way too smokey for my taste. I felt like I was drinking the campfire. :D
  • 88AViva
    @dralicephd Hahaha it is different, add some roses to it, smoky and rose-y. Weirdly soothing.
  • YogaMusician
    YogaMusician Posts: 72 Member
    Love kombucha ! Have a cubbied full of teas too !! All kinds ... But I notice I favor the teas from The Republic Of Tea .... Cute tins too !
    Di y'all have a certain favorite brand ?!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Love kombucha ! Have a cubbied full of teas too !! All kinds ... But I notice I favor the teas from The Republic Of Tea .... Cute tins too !
    Di y'all have a certain favorite brand ?!

Favorite brands for expensive tea...as in, I'm not buying it for myself, but when my family asks for gift suggestions, it's at the top of my list...David's Tea and Harney & Sons.

Grocery store tea that I'd buy for myself....Republic of Tea and Stash.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    I drink a LOT of green teas and often order from the Upton tea company. They ship world wide I believe, they have a wide selection of green teas (and of course many others) and always seem to throw in a little sachet of something interesting to try that is new and different. I also like that they say on the package the date they packed it for you (as well as your name) so you know when you purchased it.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    Fav tea: Earl Grey, half/half, sugar.
  • pjmoose2574
    pjmoose2574 Posts: 1 Member
    Earl Grey for me too, hot, no sweetener or cream. Double bergmont tea is like my nirvana but it is hard to find locally.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 351 Member
    Anyone have any suggestions for making a peach iced tea at home? I used to order an iced peach black tea with coconut at a local coffee shop but now that I am working from home full time, I’d like to attempt making something similar myself.

I will say I have ZERO tea making experience and I have a Ninja coffee maker that can do Kcups or filters.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Being a hybrid (half American & half English), I grew up on tea. I don't like my tea "fortnightish"*, either. I have a larger cup that I put in a Yorkshire bag, and either a Red Rose or Irish Breakfast bag in. I then let it steep for about 5 mins or so, then soy milk and 3 stevia packets. Call me crazy, then I let it sit for a while until it is not hot, but just a little more than warm, then I can drink it down. Perfection!

*Fortnight = two weeks
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I drink a ginger/turmeric tea with honey every day. It's the good earth brand, I love it.

I've also been into making a big pot of hibiscus tea, and drinking it iced with a little bit of white grape juice for sweetness. The hibiscus tea blend I buy also has lemongrass and licorice root.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for making a peach iced tea at home? I used to order an iced peach black tea with coconut at a local coffee shop but now that I am working from home full time, I’d like to attempt making something similar myself.

I will say I have ZERO tea making experience and I have a Ninja coffee maker that can do Kcups or filters.

I would just buy a peach flavored syrup and use that. And maybe add some coconut milk. Yum.
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2022
    I’m predominantly a coffee drinker, however I like dandelion tea or the odd chamomile. I don’t add anything to tea drinks and only milk to coffee.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 351 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    ehju0901 wrote: »

I would just buy a peach flavored syrup and use that. And maybe add some coconut milk. Yum.

Thanks, I will look into that!
  • 88AViva
    Darjeeling + Ceylon with rose buds
    nufuzx00x7bc.jpg