Shocking I know but....

Options
Further to my stating that I HATE Bohemian rhapsody, Here's a few other things that I dislike to the point of hatred:

The Godfather
The Godfather 2
The Godfa..I think you see where this is going....

The Deer hunter.

Harry Potter ( but the increase in kids reading again was awesome)

The Beatles.

Big Brother, X Factor et al

Bring on the abuse...... :smile:

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    c1Ak8iO.gif
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The Godfather

It insists upon itself.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Amen on the Beatles....
    I'd like to add The Rolling Stones to the list as well....
  • sixout
    Options
    The Godfather

It insists upon itself.

peter-griffin-laugh.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK, seriously, how does anyone HATE Harry Potter? I get it maybe not being your thing, but that is one fantastic story.

And I can see hating The Godfather movies. I only like them because I wrote a paper for my criticism class in college that required very in-depth analysis of them, which meant watching very closely and really getting deep into them (the first two only as my professor despised the third one) and I ended up enjoying them on a really deep level.

The rest I get. Bohemian Rhapsody for me is just about being brought back to a happy time in my life and a funny movie. On its own it's nothing special.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    OK, seriously, how does anyone HATE Harry Potter? I get it maybe not being your thing, but that is one fantastic story.

And I can see hating The Godfather movies. I only like them because I wrote a paper for my criticism class in college that required very in-depth analysis of them, which meant watching very closely and really getting deep into them (the first two only as my professor despised the third one) and I ended up enjoying them on a really deep level.

The rest I get. Bohemian Rhapsody for me is just about being brought back to a happy time in my life and a funny movie. On its own it's nothing special.

i like both but its easy to see hating Harry Potter more so than Godfather. Potter is a bunch of kids books based in fantasy. not everyone can get into that. Godfather is based in the real world even if the story is fiction. its much easier to connect to and enjoy imo.

as for me I like the Potter stories better.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate-unicorn-bike.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options
    Potter is a bunch of kids books based in fantasy.

If you can describe them that way, you can't possibly have read them.

The entire story is an analogy of WWII. I know Rowling claims she wasn't thinking of Hitler when she created Voldemort, but if you think about it, a lot of the characters take on the roles of the Allied and Axis countries and the whole "pure race" stuff even though Voldemort himself was half muggle (Hitler had Jewish ancestry) tells me she's full of it on that.

It's a great story. The first two books are a little on the young side for reading, but after that it's pretty dark and deep.

Maybe you only watched the movies, though. They aren't as detailed and leave a lot of important things out.
  • sixout
    Options

The entire story is an analogy of WWII. I know Rowling claims she wasn't thinking of Hitler when she created Voldemort, but if you think about it, a lot of the characters take on the roles of the Allied and Axis countries and the whole "pure race" stuff even though Voldemort himself was half muggle (Hitler had Jewish ancestry) tells me she's full of it on that.

It's a great story. The first two books are a little on the young side for reading, but after that it's pretty dark and deep.

Maybe you only watched the movies, though. They aren't as detailed and leave a lot of important things out.

So the Author said it wasn't about that.... yet you think it is.... wat
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The Godfather

It insists upon itself.

peter-griffin-laugh.gif

Gotta love Family Guy.

I, too, am not enamored with the Godfather Trilogy; although I have now managed to sit through it.
  • rml_16
    Options

So the Author said it wasn't about that.... yet you think it is.... wat
    The author said a lot of things. Read her interviews. She was very vague about certain things and alluded to others and never really gave straight answers.

There's no way Hitler wasn't an inspiration for Voldemort. He MIRRORS Hitler, right down to the ethnic cleansing and concentration camps.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter
    Lord of the Rings
    Star Wars
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

ive read all the books and seen all the movies. they are kids books/stories. nothing wrong with that. lots of kids stories have deeper messages embedded.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The Godfather

It insists upon itself.

Ahhh classic Peter :laugh:
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate-unicorn-bike.jpg

lol.
  • rml_16
    Options

ive read all the books and seen all the movies. they are kids books/stories. nothing wrong with that. lots of kids stories have deeper messages embedded.
    Quick lesson on the publishing industry: A book is classified as juvenile fiction or adult fiction based solely on the ages of the characters. It has nothing to do with the story itself.

Describing HP as "a kids' story" makes it sound like Harold and the Purple Crayon.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Quick lesson on the publishing industry: A book is classified as juvenile fiction or adult fiction based solely on the ages of the characters. It has nothing to do with the story itself.

Describing HP as "a kids' story" makes it sound like Harold and the Purple Crayon.

didnt meant to imply they were aimed at 6 year olds. more like 10-15. would that be considered "young adult"? or something in between?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    but my point still stands...its aimed at teens or pre teens and is fantasy based so lots of people are going to hate it based on that. unlike the Godfather/mafia type stories where a much wider range can enjoy and relate.
  • rml_16
    Options

didnt meant to imply they were aimed at 6 year olds. more like 10-15. would that be considered "young adult"? or something in between?
    It's still juvenile fiction, as is The Book Thief. Calling either one "a kids' story" is dismissive and inaccurate. Do children enjoy them? Sure. And there's no explicit sexual content or anything inappropriate for the age group. But they're still complex, deep, interesting stories that adults should be able to enjoy as much as any "adult" novel. They are books that feature children as the main protagonists. That is not the same as a kids' story.

HP and TBT are a million times better than a lot of what's on the adult best-seller lists.

Also, "dismissing" implies the person hasn't even tried reading or watching, so "I hate it" would be a little ridiculous to say about something you never experienced. I get not having tried it because of the fantasy thing (and your ridiculous classification). I'm surprised someone would hate it.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I diff agree that the Beatles are overrated. Their music bores/annoys me.