Shocking I know but....

Options

Replies

• Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    c1Ak8iO.gif

Been watching Breaking Bad on Netflix and actually watched this episode last night.

OP - agree with you on Harry Potter
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Harry Potter and the Beatles.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter
    Lord of the Rings
    Star Wars

My heart breaks for you.
    You must not know joy :[
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Anyone who hates Harry Potter is a heartless beast who cannot appreciate the greatest love story being toldl within another story by itself. I have yet to read a love story better than that of Snape and Lily.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ms7vprfngP1syeot2o1_500.gif
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Lord of the Rings
    Star Wars

GTFO.:angry:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Potter is a bunch of kids books based in fantasy.

If you can describe them that way, you can't possibly have read them.

The entire story is an analogy of WWII. I know Rowling claims she wasn't thinking of Hitler when she created Voldemort, but if you think about it, a lot of the characters take on the roles of the Allied and Axis countries and the whole "pure race" stuff even though Voldemort himself was half muggle (Hitler had Jewish ancestry) tells me she's full of it on that.

It's a great story. The first two books are a little on the young side for reading, but after that it's pretty dark and deep.

Maybe you only watched the movies, though. They aren't as detailed and leave a lot of important things out.

ive read all the books and seen all the movies. they are kids books/stories. nothing wrong with that. lots of kids stories have deeper messages embedded.
    Quick lesson on the publishing industry: A book is classified as juvenile fiction or adult fiction based solely on the ages of the characters. It has nothing to do with the story itself.

Describing HP as "a kids' story" makes it sound like Harold and the Purple Crayon.

didnt meant to imply they were aimed at 6 year olds. more like 10-15. would that be considered "young adult"? or something in between?
    It's still juvenile fiction, as is The Book Thief. Calling either one "a kids' story" is dismissive and inaccurate. Do children enjoy them? Sure. And there's no explicit sexual content or anything inappropriate for the age group. But they're still complex, deep, interesting stories that adults should be able to enjoy as much as any "adult" novel. They are books that feature children as the main protagonists. That is not the same as a kids' story.

HP and TBT are a million times better than a lot of what's on the adult best-seller lists.

Also, "dismissing" implies the person hasn't even tried reading or watching, so "I hate it" would be a little ridiculous to say about something you never experienced. I get not having tried it because of the fantasy thing (and your ridiculous classification). I'm surprised someone would hate it.

lol it looks like i touched a nerve. i know lot of adults(friends, coworkers etc..) that either hate or dislike Potter. its not as accepted by adults as you seem to think. i notice this because like you i really enjoy the series and its always a little shocking when someone tells me that they hate it or dislike it. its the same when someone tells me they dont like sushi. my first thought is usually "are you human?".
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options

The entire story is an analogy of WWII. I know Rowling claims she wasn't thinking of Hitler when she created Voldemort, but if you think about it, a lot of the characters take on the roles of the Allied and Axis countries and the whole "pure race" stuff even though Voldemort himself was half muggle (Hitler had Jewish ancestry) tells me she's full of it on that.

It's a great story. The first two books are a little on the young side for reading, but after that it's pretty dark and deep.

Maybe you only watched the movies, though. They aren't as detailed and leave a lot of important things out.

right because it can not be the simple good vs evil, so what hero was in WWII that Harry Potter could have been.

That is just a little stretch of the imagination. I have read all the books.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

right because it can not be the simple good vs evil, so what hero was in WWII that Harry Potter could have been.

tumblr_mewbwq8cLP1qm6como1_500.jpg
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you don't like any of the Godfathers or Bohemian Rhapsody.

What is WRONG with you, man?!

:cry: :huh: :sad:
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Seriously? How can anyone hate the Beatles?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I cant stand Pink Flyod, Greatful Dead and Phish. that has to be the music they play in Hell.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Anyone who hates Harry Potter is a heartless beast who cannot appreciate the greatest love story being toldl within another story by itself. I have yet to read a love story better than that of Snape and Lily.

QFT. I have never cried harder :(
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

He wasn't a specific person. He was England. As was Dumbledore. It's been a while since my last read, but I had a bunch of them figured out. Draco is Italy. That potions teacher (can't remember his name) who comes in book 6 is the US.

And of course it COULD be a simple good vs. evil. But it isn't.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

tumblr_mewbwq8cLP1qm6como1_500.jpg

That's what I like to hear. But I got a word of warning for all you would-be warriors. When you join my command, you take on debt. A debt you owe me personally. Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y'all will git me one hundred Nazi scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Nazis. Or you will die tryin'.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    How can you LIVE with yourself knowing that you hate the Godfather and Harry Potter?? :noway:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

He wasn't a specific person. He was England. As was Dumbledore. It's been a while since my last read, but I had a bunch of them figured out. Draco is Italy. That potions teacher (can't remember his name) who comes in book 6 is the US.

SLUGHORN? LOL @ that guy being the US. it does kinda make sense though.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Jeesh might as well say you hate life...although out of those 6 shows I've only seen one. But everything Queen does is right.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

SLUGHORN? LOL @ that guy being the US. it does kinda make sense though.
    He stays sort of neutral right up to the end, then comes riding in all heroic at the last minute. Although all the while, he's on Harry's side.