Shocking I know but....

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Potter is a bunch of kids books based in fantasy.

If you can describe them that way, you can't possibly have read them.

The entire story is an analogy of WWII. I know Rowling claims she wasn't thinking of Hitler when she created Voldemort, but if you think about it, a lot of the characters take on the roles of the Allied and Axis countries and the whole "pure race" stuff even though Voldemort himself was half muggle (Hitler had Jewish ancestry) tells me she's full of it on that.

It's a great story. The first two books are a little on the young side for reading, but after that it's pretty dark and deep.

Maybe you only watched the movies, though. They aren't as detailed and leave a lot of important things out.

right because it can not be the simple good vs evil, so what hero was in WWII that Harry Potter could have been.

That is just a little stretch of the imagination. I have read all the books.
    He wasn't a specific person. He was England. As was Dumbledore. It's been a while since my last read, but I had a bunch of them figured out. Draco is Italy. That potions teacher (can't remember his name) who comes in book 6 is the US.

SLUGHORN? LOL @ that guy being the US. it does kinda make sense though.
    He stays sort of neutral right up to the end, then comes riding in all heroic at the last minute. Although all the while, he's on Harry's side.

it really does make sense. it's ambiguous who he's really gonna go to bat for, mostly because he's a wimp and doesn't wanna piss off his house, but he also wants to save his own *kitten* and stay out of trouble... all sounds familiar. I just love that the character whose physical description is often likened to a walrus is the US in the analogy. I love JKR.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options

The entire story is an analogy of WWII. I know Rowling claims she wasn't thinking of Hitler when she created Voldemort, but if you think about it, a lot of the characters take on the roles of the Allied and Axis countries and the whole "pure race" stuff even though Voldemort himself was half muggle (Hitler had Jewish ancestry) tells me she's full of it on that.

It's a great story. The first two books are a little on the young side for reading, but after that it's pretty dark and deep.

Maybe you only watched the movies, though. They aren't as detailed and leave a lot of important things out.

right because it can not be the simple good vs evil, so what hero was in WWII that Harry Potter could have been.

He wasn't a specific person. He was England. As was Dumbledore. It's been a while since my last read, but I had a bunch of them figured out. Draco is Italy. That potions teacher (can't remember his name) who comes in book 6 is the US.

And of course it COULD be a simple good vs. evil. But it isn't.

LMFAO. you are killing me.

it is good vs evil. HOW THE **** is Draco italy? HOW THE HELL IS HARRY POTTER ENGLAND? This is the funniest thing i have heard all day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

it is good vs evil. HOW THE **** is Draco italy? HOW THE HELL IS HARRY POTTER ENGLAND? This is the funniest thing i have heard all day.
    I'm glad my knowledge of history and ability to read past the surface of a novel is so amusing to you. :flowerforyou:

And since WWII pretty much boils down to good vs. evil, you really aren't negating my point at all.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart:
    I don't know how anyone can hate the Godfather OR Harry Potter. Was surprised Twilight wasn't on your list ... I was expecting that one.

Edited to say I hate American Idol and WWE .... figured I might as well join this group of haters :happy:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

seriously everyone knows its an analogy of the Bible. Voldemort is Satan. Potter is Jesus(his "death" bears a scar just like Jesus'") etc...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I still :heart: you, despite your hatred of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Also, I've never seen The Godfather triology & have really no desire to
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I cant stand Pink Flyod, Greatful Dead and Phish. that has to be the music they play in Hell.

Not big on Grateful Dead or Phish but I love me some Pink Floyd
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Further to my stating that I HATE Bohemian rhapsody, Here's a few other things that I dislike to the point of hatred:

Harry Potter ( but the increase in kids reading again was awesome)

The Beatles.

Big Brother

But you're a Brit! These things do not compute! :huh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have yet to read a love story better than that of Snape and Lily.

I actually agree here. That was my favorite part of the whole series!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I cant stand Pink Flyod, Greatful Dead and Phish. that has to be the music they play in Hell.

WHAT? How can anyone not stand Pink Flyod?! :sad: What do you listen to then?
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

I'm glad my knowledge of history and ability to read past the surface of a novel is so amusing to you. :flowerforyou:

And since WWII pretty much boils down to good vs. evil, you really aren't negating my point at all.

WWII does not boil down to Good vs. Evil. It boiled down to a lot of people with different ideals of what the world should be. Saying the opposite side from that that you're on is evil is somewhat close minded.

Also, not everything has a deeper meaning. If she said she wasn't thinking of Hitler when that part was thought up, I'd probably take their word on it.
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options

Knowledge of history is one thing, to try and make a book have more meaning then it really does is really just beyond amuzing in this aspect.

I think i would like to change the meaning of harry potter to be more star wars. Harry is like Luke, Voldemort is like the Sith Lord and his followers. They are all manipulated by the force.....see i can do it too. Snape is like Darth Vader, shows his true nature in the end (not all that bad of a guy).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    WWII does not boil down to Good vs. Evil. It boiled down to a lot of people with different ideals of what the world should be. Saying the opposite side from that that you're on is evil is somewhat close minded.

You're right. It's just a difference of opinion to torture, starve and gas 12 million people simply for being the wrong religion, having the wrong political leanings or having the wrong sexual orientation.

Just a difference of ideals about the world there. How close-minded of me to call it evil.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Further to my stating that I HATE Bohemian rhapsody, Here's a few other things that I dislike to the point of hatred:

The Godfather
    The Godfather 2
    The Godfa..I think you see where this is going....

The Deer hunter.

Harry Potter ( but the increase in kids reading again was awesome)

The Beatles.

Big Brother, X Factor et al

Bring on the abuse...... :smile:

No abuse here! I agree!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Also, not everything has a deeper meaning. If she said she wasn't thinking of Hitler when that part was thought up, I'd probably take their word on it.

did Rowling really state she wasnt thinking about Hitler? then why do these people carry on that theory? maybe they dont believe her after her "Dumbledore is gay" claim after the series was over. if she really wanted to make a statement she should have made it clear he was gay during the series.
  • sixout
    Options

You're right. It's just a difference of opinion to torture, starve and gas 12 million people simply for being the wrong religion, having the wrong political leanings or having the wrong sexual orientation.

Just a difference of ideals about the world there. How close-minded of me to call it evil.

Because the United States hasn't tortured or killed tons of people because they are of a different religion, or world view, or anything, right?

In your mind, we're right in what we do. In Hitler's mind, he was doing good for his people. It's all objective.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

WHAT? How can anyone not stand Pink Flyod?! :sad: What do you listen to then?

just about everything else(rock, rap, jazz, pop,top 40, etc....). except for a lot of country...i like very little of it.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of people that offer nothing to society....

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Star Wars and LOTR should have never been mentioned in a negative light, if god existed, he would strike you down....
  • sixout
    Options
    This thread is full of people that offer nothing to society....

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Star Wars and LOTR should have never been mentioned in a negative light, if god existed, he would strike you down....

SMNQA.jpg
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options

Because the United States hasn't tortured or killed tons of people because they are of a different religion, or world view, or anything, right?

In your mind, we're right in what we do. In Hitler's mind, he was doing good for his people. It's all objective.

US did not try to commit genocide. But they have done similiar based on race (japanese and native amaericans) camps. Religion not so much but some Americans have out against some religions but not on behalf of the country (post 9/11 against muslims).