Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you NEED to deadlift?

Options

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Since this thread includes a lot about older lifters who are new to lifting , this is my N=1 experience, having begun weights three and a half years ago.

I feel like I’m too old yet not old enough. It’s very very frustrating out here.

Sorry to vent and probably bore, but surely there’s more than me out here and it’s a very square peggish feeling.

I think a lot of “traditional” teaching re fitness and age is flawed, and not just in the fitness industry. I had major surgery 8 years ago (I’m now 48) and even at that point the team suggested I find an easy form of exercise. (They suggested yoga or Pilates which annoyed me, as done properly those are actually v hard and challenging.)

I’ve had ongoing occasional issues following surgery and had to seek advice. The surgeons were horrified I started lifting. The nurses told me I shouldn’t. The local young Physios were horrified and only had one way of treating people, and I experienced this again when I badly sprained my ankle three years ago. So I found a sports physio, and the first thing I saw when I walked in was an elderly lady deadlifting (I believe she was late 80s). He explained she wanted to be able to lift her garden pots so he got all the injured older ladies lifting as soon as possible. He has a high success rate and a v low injury recurrence rate.

I don’t have a solution for you, but I just wanted to say don’t give up on finding that trainer who will challenge you again, and join in on any technical discussions. I never have a clue either but it hasn’t stopped me!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Since this thread includes a lot about older lifters who are new to lifting , this is my N=1 experience, having begun weights three and a half years ago.

Sorry, this is very long and I hope it all makes sense.

I started with a trainer, at age 56. Never lifted a weight or even exercised until deciding to lose weight.

She had me doing squats, benching, machines, sandbag carries, kettlebells, bamboos , ball slams, flipping tires etc.

BTW, she never, ever had me deadlift, except one time she had me use a trap (?). I asked why we didn’t deadlift, and she never explained. It was one of her peculiarities. You didn’t question her methods, but she was a damned good and challenging trainer so I let it ride.

She always challenged me to do more and lift more. She was in her 70’s herself, so always treated me like I should be able to do anything she could. (I wish!)

OTOH, workouts with her were always pre-planned, and it was show up and do this, do that, do this.

As a result, I think I learnt good form, but in all honesty, I don’t know the lingo and don’t know wtf y’all are talking about half the time. I regret missing out on that part because I can’t discuss -or understand discussions of- lifting intelligently.

Sadly, she retired about six months ago.

I’m on my own now, working out at a hospital affiliated gym, which, in addition to hospital personnel of all ages, leans very heavily towards rehab and senior clientele.

My experience moving from a powerlifting gym to the “Cocoon Gym” has been one of shockingly low expectations, and vast disappointment.

I’ve tried one of their trainers, explaining that I didn’t lift particularly heavy but came from a powerlifting gym, and wanted to be challenged. He wouldn’t see past the grey hair, even when I was begging for more. He was absolutely aghast at the idea I was lifting heavy enough to ask him to spot and wouldn’t even consider it.

He didn’t follow up for additional sessions. It was like being asked for more from a senior was so totally scary and unfamiliar to him, he chose to avoid me.

I still wanted to work with a trainer and began carefully watching their other trainers in hopes of finding someone, but see them doing the same routines with the same clients. No changing up, nothing heavy, no challenging.

If you’re training older people, I think you need to be able to adjust and adapt, and recognize their needs, wants, abilities.

These hospital trainers are all degreed in sports medicine, and other disciplines but imo are so removed from what their clients want or need, or could accomplish, it’s sad.

We’re an aging society. 🤷🏻‍♀️

At some point we have to accept that “old” is no longer a number. Some of us don’t want to sit on our *kitten* and play Candyland with the grandkids.

Right now there’s a chasm forming between the active healthy seniors, and the ones who have myriad health problems and don’t get up unless it’s for a snack or potty.

(Thank god I finally jumped that divide.)

As life expectancies grow, and medicine improves, older people will continue to act and feel younger to much greater ages than our parents. I sincerely hope that the general perception of “old” will advance further and further.

But the fitness industry is not keeping up. It seems to me it’s twenty, thirty years behind, and still pushing the “oh you’re 60, let me give you these two pound weights. Are you sure 2 mph isn’t too much on the treadmill?”

I want to deadlift. I want to go heavier on bench and squats, but am afraid to without a spot or safety bars. (I am flabbergasted their one bench has no safety.) At least they have a couple of good basic squat racks.

I’m dabbling in deadlifts now by myself in the squat rack, and also with heavier dumbbells and those “fixed “ weight bars you use for overhead presses. (See? Lack of lingo again. You ought to see my training notebook lol.)

I see so many older people here on MFP who want to try lifting, whom users even recommend to lift, heck, medical research suggests it for maintaining bone strength etc, but what I see out here in the field is a total lack of training support for these (us) people.

Don’t get me wrong. My gym is first class. It’s the highest rated gym in a major metro area and people who don’t live close tell me they’d kill to have it nearby. The weight room is huge, the equipment replaced every couple of years, the pool is amazing, cardio rooms well equipped, great class instructors but man, the weight area where the trainers are is just……….uninspired atmosphere.

It just seems like there’s a disconnect, my expectations are wrong, or maybe I just haven’t found my “tribe” or something.

I’d reconsider going back to the power gym, but none of those guys are certified as trainers, and I’m as afraid of being hurt there as I am of being frustrated at the new one. All the other local gyms are HIIT type places or Anytime types.

I feel like I’m too old yet not old enough. It’s very very frustrating out here.

Sorry to vent and probably bore, but surely there’s more than me out here and it’s a very square peggish feeling.
    I have SEVERAL clients over 60+ years old. Trust that I'll challenge them all the time. Many of my older clients will squat with 95lbs+ and leg press with 270lbs+. I don't think I have one that curls under 25lbs (even my oldest at 70+ does this much).
    I will agree that many in the field will baby their older clients. But we're also taught that safety is the number one factor for clients over 60+. Since many don't have the ability to actually add much muscle, progression will stop quite quickly and we have be aware that even though they may believe they can handle more resistance, sometimes that's not always the best thing for them.
    Had a member over 60 who has always been a powerlifter his whole life. I've always watched this guy lift but always noticed after flatbenching, he always was massaging his left pec after a set. Well he finally tore it (full detachment) and when I last saw him he told me that because of detachment and how they had to repair it, his range of motion on that side would be significantly different. And now when he works out, you can definitely see that he can barely bring his elbow back to 90 degrees. You can definitely tell he's disappointed. And in my opinion, it can be something like this that can bring on depression because of what he used to be able to do and can no longer do.
    I care for all my clients and want them to be able to workout for the rest of their lives happily. I am willing to bend to certain exercises like deadlift and flat bench IF I really believe that the person wants to do it and we ONLY do it with the strictest form and not do it for ego lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Why can't the body and mind get it together. The mind is finally willing, but the body doesn't have the capacity. The body is strong, but the mind is waiting for the perfect opportunity to begin. Tomorrow.
    "I don't mind getting older, but my body is taking it badly." Oy vey.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer years ago in my 20s had me deadlift weight that was way too heavy for me, but he insisted I could do it and that was the way to get results. Well despite using proper form I got injured. I now have two bulging discs and constant back pain. Never again.
  • michael6186
    michael6186 Posts: 27 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @AnnPT77

I must say this is well written and I think I can agree with mostly everything said here.

A huge problem within this space of fitness is we're not looking at things in a scientific and methodical approach.

It's evident that "age is just a number" for most things in life but there are some general truths that follow acting as stereotypes that end up putting people into categories that they don't always belong to.

We can easily overcome that by having an appropriate assessment; that's not just done at the beginning of the program but should be administered repeatedly throughout the process, closely observing what's most important at that time and then adjusting to the feedback rather than just sticking to the plan no matter what.

Age has been shown to play a factor in how quickly one recovers from exercise training and that should be taken into account but it shouldn't be acted upon in a general nature because that's ignorant and takes away from the capabilities of the trainee.

We should also be careful to not act as if what we see happening in the margins (specialized groups, elite athletes) is also true for the whole. It's easy to be biased when looking at only our own experiences or when looking at other's experiences. It's easy to find what you're looking for when you look in the right places. However, I will also add that we as people should be aware of the risks and accept them as part of the journey to reaching out goals.

Every trainee should be assessed and trained appropriately to where they are versus where they want to go. Not even in elite athletics is there a one size fits all formula. There are many roads to where you're going but everyone must take their own path in getting there. Avoiding things doesn't necessarily make you stronger all the time, sometimes it's necessary to go through that very struggle to come out better on the other side.

Personal experience: My niece is 13 years old and is a top volleyball player in her state but aside from that, her lifestyle outside of volleyball leaves her susceptible to many health risk. She eats trash, stays up all night, and plays video games until it's time for volleyball. This lifestyle will surely catch up with her.

So age is hardly the only metric we should be looking at when deciding what is best appropriate for what people should or should not do in the gym.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    “ A huge problem within this space of fitness is we're not looking at things in a scientific and methodical approach. ” (having problems with phone responding so apologies for lack of code)

The thing is, there is a world of difference between telling an older lifter (and what age does someone qualify as an older lifter?) that they need longer recovery times, that DLs aren’t essential but if you do them there is an increased risk of injury, that they may tax the CNS more in some older lifters, and “women of a certain age should not deadlift” . I am not suggesting any of the posters here have or would said that - just personal experience.

On the flip side, women actually need shorter recovery times than men inbetween sets - yet how many trainers tell clients that? The hormonal cycle can also affect performance and not many trainers reference that.

I admit i am biased to my own experience and I’ve always been very active, driven to achieve and do what I enjoy. I may not be the typical menopausal middle aged women, but I hope women of a similar age get to play with weights and see if they like them - rather than believing their age and sex makes it intrinsically dangerous. (Typed on unreliable phone so sorry for any errors)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    ...I’m on my own now, working out at a hospital affiliated gym, which, in addition to hospital personnel of all ages, leans very heavily towards rehab and senior clientele.

This makes me think of my experience of physical therapy through the VA, which I've had off and on for knee, hip, elbow, and wrist since 2010 or so.

All my life I've seen physical therapists on TV/ in movies depicted as almost sadistic. But in real life I've never broken a sweat or been sore afterwards.

There was only one exercise that ever felt challenging, and that was on my bad hip. I am a great patient, and still do most of these exercises to this day. My right hip has been the same as my left hip for a long time now. Still having problems with my knee, though :(

I wonder if real life civilian physical therapists tend to be as gentle, or if the VA PT's are more gentle due to their client demographics.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ...I’m on my own now, working out at a hospital affiliated gym, which, in addition to hospital personnel of all ages, leans very heavily towards rehab and senior clientele.

This makes me think of my experience of physical therapy through the VA, which I've had off and on for knee, hip, elbow, and wrist since 2010 or so.

All my life I've seen physical therapists on TV/ in movies depicted as almost sadistic. But in real life I've never broken a sweat or been sore afterwards.

There was only one exercise that ever felt challenging, and that was on my bad hip. I am a great patient, and still do most of these exercises to this day. My right hip has been the same as my left hip for a long time now. Still having problems with my knee, though :(

I wonder if real life civilian physical therapists tend to be as gentle, or if the VA PT's are more gentle due to their client demographics.

FWIW: I've seen civilian physical therapists now for several different issues, and they were in 3 or 4 different practices (large/small, hospital-affiliated/independent). None of them seemed even remotely sadistic, and I never experienced anything that went beyond mild discomfort. (That was fairly deep massage on some scar tissue in my underarm/chest area. It was very bearable, just not something I'd do for an enjoyable hobby, y'know? I've continued to do the same massage on myself periodically.)

The ones I remember were for knee pain, shoulder nerve impingement, pelvic floor issues, and that pretty widespread upper left chest scarring from mastectomy, axillary lymph node removal, then multi-field radiation therapy to the same area as surgery. So maybe it's just that these were not major things. Seems like I'm forgetting something else, though.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just now read through this thread. I don't have anything to add to it....yet. But as an "older" woman about to start strength training for the first time in a couple of decades, I found the discussion informative and very thought provoking.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    But as an "older" woman about to start strength training for the first time in a couple of decades.

Just wanted to say that this is awesome :) I'm glad you're getting (back) into the iron game!

• age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    GreySteel https://www.greysteel.org/ says — Yes, people of all ages, especially those of us past 50 should deadlift heavy.

Personally — No one ‘needs’ to do anything. Everyone should and can do whatever they put their mind to.
    I do RDL with dumbbells at home. My max weight is 30lbs in each hand because that’s the biggest dumbbell I have.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    GreySteel https://www.greysteel.org/ says — Yes, people of all ages, especially those of us past 50 should deadlift heavy.
    Being that I've worked first hand with people over 50 who've injured their backs due to deadlifting heavy, I'll emphatically disagree. It's great to hear from a coach who was a former powerlifter to say it, but you speak to any professional in orthopedics, I'm sure they'll side with me more.

[/quote]Personally — No one ‘needs’ to do anything. Everyone should and can do whatever they put their mind to.
    I do RDL with dumbbells at home. My max weight is 30lbs in each hand because that’s the biggest dumbbell I have.

[/quote] Just you can put your mind to it doesn't always mean you can achieve it physically. Again, injuries happen with those who lift more than they are capable of even when they think they can lift it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just you can put your mind to it doesn't always mean you can achieve it physically. Again, injuries happen with those who lift more than they are capable of even when they think they can lift it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    [/quote]

Fair comment. I guess when I think of putting my mind to something I include being smart about it and not doing something that is going to push past limits. If someone wants to do something — that can hire a coach and work their way slowly and carefully to achieve what they want to achieve.
  • nattyj725
    nattyj725 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a 48 year old woman who just started lifting less than 2 years ago, I was doing deadlifts. I have set that aside for awhile. I had back surgery in April (bone spur on vertebrae that was compressing my sciatic nerve), and just got back in the gym in July. So for the moment, at least, I'm starting to incorporate rack pulls before I even think about doing deadlifts. I had only gotten up to 145lbs before I ended up out for 5 months. But even that, I'm not risking because a) I've just started to get close to how much weight I was lifting in general (not there yet) and b) I don't want to injure my back after having had surgery.

TL;DR rack pulls are an alternative that is easier on your lower back, therefore may be a good idea to at least start with for people who are my age and older.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nattyj725 wrote: »
    As a 48 year old woman who just started lifting less than 2 years ago, I was doing deadlifts. I have set that aside for awhile. I had back surgery in April (bone spur on vertebrae that was compressing my sciatic nerve), and just got back in the gym in July. So for the moment, at least, I'm starting to incorporate rack pulls before I even think about doing deadlifts. I had only gotten up to 145lbs before I ended up out for 5 months. But even that, I'm not risking because a) I've just started to get close to how much weight I was lifting in general (not there yet) and b) I don't want to injure my back after having had surgery.

TL;DR rack pulls are an alternative that is easier on your lower back, therefore may be a good idea to at least start with for people who are my age and older.
    Please be extra careful. It's so easy to feel that your back is good enough to handle prior loads, but as someone who deals with older clients on a regular basis, the injury rate increases as one ages even if form is spot on and prior loads weren't an issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I always heed your advice. I want this rack of bones to last me.... waaaay into the future.