Does anyone else feel bad for taking breaks sometimes?

Earlier I thought I should take a break on working out and just take a minute to be with myself and my niece while she is in town for the summer and shortly after thinking that I started feeling bad about it.
Does anyone else get into that mindset? I feel like it could be a bigger sign that I need to take a break lol but maybe the after thought is right to feel bad because I’ve put so much effort in so far and I don’t want to jeopardize that progress.
Idk maybe I’m thinking too much into it lol.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Ultimately, if it's counterproductive to not take breaks 🙂 your body needs time to recover too.
    You don't jeopardize your progress by skipping one or two workouts.
    So ditch the guilt! It's a yucky feeling and entirely optional.

I think it's easy to get a bit obsessive when we're losing weight, whether it's about what/how much we eat or our exercise. But ultimately, we're in this for the long haul, getting and staying healthier so we can have a long and happy life - if we don't use that life to do fun things, what's the point!
  • Jabba2Hans
    Jabba2Hans Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2022
    I take lots of breaks, mostly from dieting but also from exercise. Still managed to lose over 80 lbs. Breaks made the journey longer, but way more enjoyable for me. As far as dieting breaks go, I felt a little guilty until I reframed them as 'maintenance try outs'.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Having a mindset of “forward and pause, then forward again” will ALWAYS triumph “forward and back.”
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,531 Member
    I felt that way when I first started weight training. Never wanted to miss a day in the gym. Now if I can't/don't feel up to going for some reason, I'm like you know what, the weights will miss me, but they'll be fine. They'll be there tomorrow.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    I totally do not feel bad about taking a strength training break. I don't feel guilty but I do feel antsy without cardio, though. It's more for my brain than my body.
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2022
    Nope. You are only accountable to yourself. No guilt necessary. Eating better and exercising is to improve your health overall and over the long term. It's not about being such a slave to it that you cannot enjoy life's pleasures. If you were to turn away family members or friends for the sake of one more day of burning calories, then you might have something to feel bad about.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Nope.
    Fitness and strength change relatively slowly, missing a few training sessions is irrelevant to the big picture. Although training is important to me so are family and other fun activities. Life balance is required.
    What does change relatively quickly is fatigue levels and you may even find that a short break is beneficial.

What many high level and elite athletes do is periodise their training with blocks or hard effort, blocks of easier effort and recovery.
    Do you?
    Because you might find that planning recovery works far better than feeling you are being "forced" into easing off by other commitments or just getting burned out.

(A lot of people trying to lose weight try to train hard all of the time when their diet is sub-optimal to support top performance and good recovery.)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    No, not really.

The way we talk to ourselves in our heads matters, I think. I don't do "cheat days", or take "breaks" from my "diet" or my "workout schedule".

What I do is to try to establish good, practical, relatively enjoyable eating and activity habits that will tend to keep me healthy and happy almost on autopilot . . . basically just try to live life in a way that supports my goals, on average. I can't take a break from my life, y'know? It's logically impossible.

Once in a while, there are external things that disrupt my habitual routine: Maybe some family/friend visit, a vacation, a special event, being ill or unusually exhausted, etc. When those things happen, I accommodate them in some non-routine way, because they're non-routine things. Then I go back to my normal routine.

For those non-routine times, or just because I feel like it, sometimes I decide to eat above my calorie goal, or even above maintenance calories . . . occasionally way above maintenance calories. Sometimes I decide I need to reduce my activity levels (exercise and/or daily life activity) because of schedule conflicts, stress, burnout, injury, or fatigue. Those things are non-routine, too.

Still not a break, though, just a decision. As long as I relatively rarely make decisions that conflict with my long-term health goals, that's fine, too. After that, I just go back to my normal routine.

In retrospect, sometimes I decide I made a decision that wasn't a good one - not worth it, according to my values/preferences. I can learn from that, make a different plan to use in similar circumstances in future. There's no point, IMO, in feeling guilty about learning something, even if that learning pinches a little. Guilt burns no extra calories, builds no fitness, feels icky. I prefer to avoid it.

The bottom line, IMO, is that it's the majority of our days that determines the majority of our results. If what I do most of the time - that normal routine - is health promoting on average, I'll get the reasonable health I want, generally speaking. Good enough for me.

Also, it's low drama. I don't like drama, either. 😉

P.S. Sijomial said some really smart things in his post above, about the risk of burnout, importance of pacing (of weight loss and exercise intensity/duration), and the role of recovery. Read that one carefully, and take it on board, I'd suggest.
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Yes. But I tend to get over it quickly. Overtraining is definitely a thing so something to keep in mind. Best to you in getting there. :)
  • KristiiAly
    KristiiAly Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you all for your responses! I will definitely be coming back to this thread when I need a boost lol. 🥰