Looking for VLCD friends

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

An ED is a mental problem. It is not something you catch from people on the Internet.

...And where do you think people desperate to lose weight get ED ideas? *headdesk*

No idea, but I bet a fat person can come up with the idea of eating less/nothing with or without our help.

I will not argue that. People are always quite capable of doing stupid stuff on their own.

But to claim that ED behavior is not something that can be learned or "caught" through the internet is utter bullsh*t. I speak from firsthand experience, here.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Here's the only thing I read:
    I don't log feed days, I only log fast days.
    Wait.

[edit to delete awesome gif which was perfect.]

uh. wut?
    You're obviously ignorant of the 5:2 diet. You're not supposed to log or count on feed days, just eat normally.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    And that's what the VLCD Cult of Silence is like. Even though this person is on a medically prescribed, medically supervised plan, they cannot utter a peep about it because the Starvation Mode Police swoops in and shuts them down.

Makes me sick, really.

:flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't look down on VLCD's, particularly when supervised, because I know that an obese individual can successfully lose weight in a healthy manner for a period of time on VLCD. I lost my first 70 lbs eating at 1000+ calorie deficit. When things slowed down, I educated myself on the reasons why they had slowed and realized that I would not be able to continue to lose on 1000+ calorie deficit so I switched to a 300 calorie deficit with 40/30/30 macro ratio and some light weight lifting. I lost another 20 lbs and as many dress sizes as I lost when I lost the 70 lbs. I did all this without medical supervision.

Most obese to morbidly obese are actually carrying a significant amount of muscle because fat is heavy. Obese to morbidly obese individuals can actually afford to lose weight rapidly because they can afford to lose some muscle. But there is a tipping point, and if you are paying attention, your body will let you know when it needs more nourishment than what you are providing.

Best of luck, OP! I'm sure you have this under control.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    How about good luck and moving on. If you all were such experts, you wouldn't have ended up on MFP in the first place. What works for one may not work for another and if it is supervised by a professional, who are you to judge. If you do not agree, simple move to the next thread. :huh:

Hello pot...this is kettle. Really? No one is judging. If everyone were experts then there'd be no MFP. People can offer opinions and suggestions and try to actually steer people from doing possible damage to themselves.

The OP lost all that weight on their own without this. Which great job btw op!!!

Thank you. I did lose the weight simply by eating less and moving more...nothing extreme. I have made many positive changes, the biggest being drinking water instead of soda and falling in love with an active lifestyle. Instead of sitting around watching TV and barely living...I am going places...hiking, kayaking, cycling, roller skating, taking kick boxing, boxing, spinning and other classes.

However, it has been 6 months since I have made any progress, despite regular calorie deficits. I am still at least 100 pounds overweight. I don't need to lose weight quickly...but nothing for 6 months is too slow. I argued with the doctor, dietician and weight loss counselor, I shouldn't have to eat 600 calories/day to lose weight. I can follow the plan and eat up to 850, but they want me at about 600, with an expected loss of 3 to 5 pounds per week. I have told them, I don't need to lose that quickly.

I started the program 08/08. And so far all it has encouraged for me is extreme eating. I haven't been able to stay on it...which is why I was looking for friends doing a similar program.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Are you doing some other form of fasting? Intermittent Fasting (IF) does not typically have very low calorie days. ESE, maybe? This is a great resource on IF if you'd like the specifics: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html. :flowerforyou:
    5:2 Fasting. Two days a week you eat under 500, and the other days you eat at your TDEE. Mine is 1700 but I usually go a little over.
    hangry
    You wish, lol. I'm hardly ever hungry.

What a scintillating personality:flowerforyou:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    sounds like a horrible diet
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

An ED is a mental problem. It is not something you catch from people on the Internet.

...And where do you think people desperate to lose weight get ED ideas? *headdesk*

No idea, but I bet a fat person can come up with the idea of eating less/nothing with or without our help.

sorry, double post. But it's worth saying twice, so I'll leave it up.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

I will not argue that. People are always quite capable of doing stupid stuff on their own.

But to claim that ED behavior is not something that can be learned or "caught" through the internet is utter bullsh*t. I speak from firsthand experience, here.

K, awesome, let's ban poptart and ice cream thread because someone _might_ learn binging from them?

Ridiculous.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    How about good luck and moving on. If you all were such experts, you wouldn't have ended up on MFP in the first place. What works for one may not work for another and if it is supervised by a professional, who are you to judge. If you do not agree, simple move to the next thread. :huh:

Hello pot...this is kettle. Really? No one is judging. If everyone were experts then there'd be no MFP. People can offer opinions and suggestions and try to actually steer people from doing possible damage to themselves.

The OP lost all that weight on their own without this. Which great job btw op!!!

Thank you. I did lose the weight simply by eating less and moving more...nothing extreme. I have made many positive changes, the biggest being drinking water instead of soda and falling in love with an active lifestyle. Instead of sitting around watching TV and barely living...I am going places...hiking, kayaking, cycling, roller skating, taking kick boxing, boxing, spinning and other classes.

However, it has been 6 months since I have made any progress, despite regular calorie deficits. I am still at least 100 pounds overweight. I don't need to lose weight quickly...but nothing for 6 months is too slow. I argued with the doctor, dietician and weight loss counselor, I shouldn't have to eat 600 calories/day to lose weight. I can follow the plan and eat up to 850, but they want me at about 600, with an expected loss of 3 to 5 pounds per week. I have told them, I don't need to lose that quickly.

I started the program 08/08. And so far all it has encouraged for me is extreme eating. I haven't been able to stay on it...which is why I was looking for friends doing a similar program.

Your is experience is why people recommend a more sensible solution. You try to do extreme diet, temporarily follow it, then binge because its too extreme.Like you said 3 to 5 lbs a week is excessive. i would recommend a more sensible approach and seek out someone willing to provide that plan to you.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Wait.

uh. wut?
    You're obviously ignorant of the 5:2 diet. You're not supposed to log or count on feed days, just eat normally.

BcuUFJ6l.jpg
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Have you tried getting a second opinion? Or even try asking the Eat, Train, Progress group for advice http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress.

Good luck!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

K, awesome, let's ban poptart and ice cream thread because someone _might_ learn binging from them?

Ridiculous.

do you not understand that VLCD's are specifically banned (by name) in the TOS? if you have a problem with that, go hit the deactivate button and find a pro-ana site where they will be happy to discuss how VLCD's lead to unicorns and rainbows.

pop tart and ice cream discussions are not banned.

most people understand this distinction.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

Ridiculous.

That was cute.

And it might make sense, if the pop tart threads were encouraging everyone to go out and stuff themselves. Which they're not. Everyone on those threads is saying to enjoy them in moderation. Nothing about VLCD promotes moderation, so your argument is invalid.

Thanks for playing, though! Here's a participation sticker.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Wait.

uh. wut?

the 5:2 diet is fasting 2 days, eating normally 5. You are not doing that. I specifically checked because I saw '500' as a goal and clicked back many days, thinking that might have just been a fast day.

I saw your diary and remembered it specifically because it was so cray. You were not skipping days, every one of them was under 500, except the natty ice day.

Though, yeah, if I were still drinking natty ice at that point in my life I would be angry too.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    why are you doing this... oh my God.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I would recommend a second opinion also. This sounds very drastic to me. There are many doctors who do things that a majority of the medical community would disagree with. Just because they have an MD behind their name, doesn't mean they are right.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wait.

uh. wut?

the 5:2 diet is fasting 2 days, eating normally 5. You are not doing that. I specifically checked because I saw '500' as a goal and clicked back many days, thinking that might have just been a fast day.

I saw your diary and remembered it specifically because it was so cray. You were not skipping days, every one of them was under 500, except the natty ice day.

Though, yeah, if I were still drinking natty ice at that point in my life I would be angry too.
    Absolute horsecrap. I ate 500 on three consecutive days instead of two *on three days only*, because I was trying to make up for the one 4000-calorie pig-out day. There was absolutely no instance of me eating 500 calories every single day ever. There are 500-calorie days and there are blank days.

My goal is set to 500 because MFP doesn't let you set two separate goals, and my goal only matters on fast days which are the only days I log anyway.

You seem very obsessed with my diet, lol. Don't you have anything better to do? I sure do. I have to get back to work. Laters!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I'm all for people doing what they want, a lot of us here just really want to make sure everyone is full on aware of the dangers, and you probably are, but there are a LOT out there that are not educated on it and see how "everyone loses weight so quick" or whatever. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

If a board certified MD suggested this to you, then do what's best for you. If it was some other kind of doctor who may just be in it for the money (think medical "spa" or such) just be careful.

I wish you all the luck in the world. You've done amazing.

People do tend to get upset about these posts only because they can be damaging to other users who are looking for quick fixes and think that it may not do anything to them in the long run. I'm sure you can understand that.

ETA: I would get a second opinion. You can never be too safe!!! It's your health and you've done great amazing things to put that first so far. Just make sure you're doing the right thing. :)
This discussion has been closed.