people aren't different?

Options
12346»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think we're all arguing different sides of the same coin.

Right

Snowflake People: There are no special snowflakes, everyone's the same except for the ways in which they're different

Everyone Else: We agree with the snowflake people in that everyone is different, we just saved a lot of time and yelling and skipped the first part.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Snowflake People: There are no special snowflakes, everyone's the same except for the ways in which they're different

^ This.

OR,

THEY are all the same, and WE are special and different. :wink:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I think maybe the snowflake remark should come with a disclaimer. I don't think anyone is trying to argue that there aren't a variety of factors that affect the way our bodies respond to a calorie deficit or surplus. Obviously we don't all lose or gain weight at the same rate or in the same places. And obviously there are medical conditions and differences that do complicate the equation for some people.

It's not that there are NO special snowflakes. It's just that more people want to be the exception rather than the rule. I certainly don't know everything, and I also don't consider myself 100% successful, because I still have quite a long way to go. But it does get a little frustrating when people come up to me wanting to know my "secret" and then roll their eyes at me and walk away when I try to explain to them that there really is no magic to it. They want a quick fix, and they don't want to hear that I did it the long, hard way.

There are lots of people out there who say they've tried "every diet there is", but they actually haven't tried eating at a moderate deficit and exercising regularly. I think that's the point some of us have been trying to make.

Or maybe I misunderstood the assignment. lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think maybe the snowflake remark should come with a disclaimer. I don't think anyone is trying to argue that there aren't a variety of factors that affect the way our bodies respond to a calorie deficit or surplus. Obviously we don't all lose or gain weight at the same rate or in the same places. And obviously there are medical conditions and differences that do complicate the equation for some people.

It's not that there are NO special snowflakes. It's just that more people want to be the exception rather than the rule. I certainly don't know everything, and I also don't consider myself 100% successful, because I still have quite a long way to go. But it does get a little frustrating when people come up to me wanting to know my "secret" and then roll their eyes at me and walk away when I try to explain to them that there really is no magic to it. They want a quick fix, and they don't want to hear that I did it the long, hard way.

There are lots of people out there who say they've tried "every diet there is", but they actually haven't tried eating at a moderate deficit and exercising regularly. I think that's the point some of us have been trying to make.

Or maybe I misunderstood the assignment. lol

But that's not what they say and it's not the meaning they convey when they throwing out the insulting catch phrase.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

But that's not what they say and it's not the meaning they convey when they throwing out the insulting catch phrase.

I agree that throwing the snowflake phrase at someone and leaving it at that is not at all helpful.