Anyone Lost Over 30 and kept it off for more than 5 years, who doesn't work in the fitness industry

Options

Replies

• runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Me for ten years.
  • pepperbandit
    pepperbandit Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds right before Covid hit and have kept it off since. So not 5 years but a little over 3 years and going strong. I am a regular person who works from home, work out 5 days a week at Orangetheory and follow the Whole30 way of eating(no sugar, alcohol, grains or dairy). I am 5'3" and 125 pounds currently.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lost 90lbs cycling. Have kept it off 3 years. Cycling.

I keep thinking about how you lost NINETY pounds whenever I jump on my bike and start to think, "Oh, it doesn't burn that many calories." It really can, truth be told.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did it and I'm not in the fitness-related field and am not an athlete.
  • Jarol777
    Jarol777 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm Jarol777
    I started in 1998 at 245.5 lbs - YoYo for 21 years - maintained constantly for last 4 years, July 2019 until today.
    Today I'm 148 lbs
    Primary System: CICO - for accountability, I report my weight annually to National Weight Control Registry. I don't count on vacations or when I'm a guest in someone's home but get right back on my CICO the next morning.
    I would be dead without measuring my food and journaling. I'm not successful with estimating portions.
    I do better with total abstinence than with moderation.
    I'm not big on regular exercise but I have recently re-introduced it to my regimen. Mostly I compete with table tennis.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread on MFP.
  • waxingturtle
    waxingturtle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question and I enjoyed the comments because I had the same wondering too
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 and kept it off for a long time until pregnancy. I think it's doable if it's a lifestyle change. I don't know what happened with me recently but something clicked and I felt like I sprang back into those habits this year and since then the weight has just fallen off.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I lost 82# back in 2008 and kept it off until my mom passed in 2014 then my eldest brother 3 months later. So, 7 years. I went up and down these past years. Now I'm back on track and have taken off 35 of what I had gained back, back then. My goal now is just another 5#.
  • bethanylynne22
    bethanylynne22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained, and then lost about 45lbs while working in the restaurant industry (as a multi-unit leader, with high stress, long hours, food everywhere). I've kept off the weight since 2019 and am currently in the best shape of my life at 46.
    I attribute my success to spending the time to research, plan and follow through with routines that helped me stick to the food plan. Also to plain old discipline. Motivation never got me as far as just doing the thing I said I would do. Doesn't matter what industry you work in, if you just don't allow yourself to cave into the excuses.
  • simon_sheila2
    simon_sheila2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started in 2017 at 22st 5lbs. Managed to lose 66lbs and it is a constant struggle to keep it off. Would like to lose another stone but I'm an office jockey and 57. Plus like a drink at the weekend. I managed mainly through cal counting and walking. Love and hugs to everyone on the journey :-)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yes, me! Age is just a number.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!