Intermittent fasting & calorie count

Options
hoofprints_soul
hoofprints_soul Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone my name is Michelle.
I started intermittent fasting without realizing a year ago. And then this past July I started tracking it. My baseline usually last between 16 hours to 24 hours sometimes 42 hours.
Although, yes I eat in the greenlight foods because I’ve overcame food addiction. I feel calorie counting may be affective. Just because I’m eating in my green light food. I still struggle with emotional eating. There has been situational events currently in my life that I have to watch when I eat because I don’t wanna over eat with my green light foods.
Can calorie counting help me stay in control as well.

Thank you so much advanced 🤗😊🤗

Intermittent fasting in calorie count

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "green light food"?

For weight management, the key thing is to hit a reasonable calorie goal. For fat gain/loss, that's literally the whole story.

Food choices can matter for satiation and nutrition, and those help determine how easy it is to hit a calorie goal, subjectively. But there are no absolutely "good" or "bad" foods, It's about balance.

I understand the issue about eating our emotions. Still, I worry you may be overcomplicating success by thinking that you need to eliminate foods that maybe you could moderate.

The big picture is about balancing calories, satiation, nutrition, happiness (tastiness), practicality, affordability, and any other factors important to you.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome.

I had to google "green light food". Apparently they have the highest nutrition, including whole fruits and veg, whole grains, lean meats.

Wrt weight loss, IF is just a way to manage having a calorie deficit. If that method works for you, great. Otherwise, don't obsess over it. It's all about calorie deficit. Also, IF with too long a fasted window can be detrimental to retaining lean body mass.

Re the emotional eating, I can't offer any help there other than to say, at least it's a positive that you're eating good quality foods instead of low quality high fat and carb cookies, cakes, etc. where it's easy to binge one or two thousand calories quickly. Once you start entering your calories here you'll see which of those foods are lower in calories and hopefully you can have more of those on hand as needed, so you can eat more at times with little if any negative effects on your diet.
  • pollohermano12
    pollohermano12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m with you. Fasting for my wife and I has been a game changer . I’ve lost 40 pounds in 75 days. It started out about weight but absolutely, overall health has been the focal point since. Gut health through fasting OMAD , has given our bodies a much needed rest from bombarding it with constant insulin through constant snacking. We only use MyFitnessPal basically for managing carb and sugar intake while staying in ketosis for fat burn. Stay strong.
  • yasiral
    yasiral Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm very sceptical about the post above here. That's a calorie deficit of nearly 1900 calories per day to achieve a fat loss of 40lbs in 75 days. Either this poster is exaggerating, or they were on a very unhealthy crash diet (and lost a ton of muscles along the way).

Well if the poster is very very over weight then that is possible. a lot of water weight loss can be the contribution factor as well. I did IF for one month and ate at around 700 calorie deficit and lost 13 pounds. I am pretty sure most of it was water weight because my body love to hold on water .
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    yasiral wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm very sceptical about the post above here. That's a calorie deficit of nearly 1900 calories per day to achieve a fat loss of 40lbs in 75 days. Either this poster is exaggerating, or they were on a very unhealthy crash diet (and lost a ton of muscles along the way).

Well if the poster is very very over weight then that is possible. a lot of water weight loss can be the contribution factor as well. I did IF for one month and ate at around 700 calorie deficit and lost 13 pounds. I am pretty sure most of it was water weight because my body love to hold on water .

You may be right - you know your own body best, after all.

But I'd observe that it's fat loss that defines what our deficit is. A calculator or even fitness tracker is just making a statistical estimate. Individuals may differ from the statistically-average numbers that those sources suggest. It's rare to differ by much, but it's possible.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It looks like Green Light foods is similar to a Mediterranean Diet. I’m doing a Med Diet with macro and calorie counting along with 36 hour fasts three days a week. I enjoy fasting and it isn’t new to me. So far this week I’ve lost 2.4 lbs. I have 57.6 to go. I find this plan to be fun and challenging at 63. I don’t want to spend the last 1/3 of my life old, fat, weak, and burdened with chronic preventable diseases. MFP fasting tool doesn’t go to 36 hours so I simply write ‘fasted 36 hrs’ in the nutrition notes for that day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    It looks like Green Light foods is similar to a Mediterranean Diet. I’m doing a Med Diet with macro and calorie counting along with 36 hour fasts three days a week. I enjoy fasting and it isn’t new to me. So far this week I’ve lost 2.4 lbs. I have 57.6 to go. I find this plan to be fun and challenging at 63. I don’t want to spend the last 1/3 of my life old, fat, weak, and burdened with chronic preventable diseases. MFP fasting tool doesn’t go to 36 hours so I simply write ‘fasted 36 hrs’ in the nutrition notes for that day.

Green light foods is basically a high carb, very low fat, whole food plant based diet. The Mediterranean diet is a very diverse diet depending on the geographic area in question and can vary drastically from coastal inhabitants to the inhabitants of the interior of the same Country and from Country to Country and Continent to Continent. Somehow a homogeneous depiction to describe the Med diet has manifested itself over the interwebs, is well, mostly to sell something. They snub all meat including fish and all oils apparently including coconut oil and don't recommend avocado or dates from my quick look, yeah, not Mediterranean or anything sustainable really, but you will lose weight I'm sure. imo
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of food, all fresh meats but mostly poultry and fish, avocado, avocado and olive oils, nuts, beans, seeds, eggs, whole grains, fruits, lots of veggies,…. I avoid added sugar, refined grain, and processed meats. I save 50% on my grocery budget because I fast 36+ hours every other day. I also take a multivitamin on eating days. I work with my doctor and she is great with me fasting with a wholesome diet. I’ve lost 10 lbs so far this month.