Water

Options
So I just finished my first 100oz of water for this morning. (I work outside) does anyone else feel like it's getting easier to drink more water the more you do it? Or is it just me?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not really... I drink when I'm thirsty. I don't force myself to drink water. You can drink too much of it and that's not healthy either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    First 100oz for this morning?

Please, no. At least, probably no.

There are quite a few people coming here who think they need to force-drink water during weight loss, or for health, or to "cleanse their system" or something. But they're usually drinking merely unnecessarily high amounts. Sure, if you work outside in the heat, you need more water than people who don't.

But if you're drinking multiples of 100oz daily, you might be drinking dangerous amounts.

Like any other good-for-you thing, more isn't better, it's just more. You want to be shooting for the right amount of fluid intake, and that will include fluid in foods (fruits, soups) as well as other beverages (tea, coffee, others - no, they're not "so diuretic that they don't count").

You want the right amount of water/fluids so you're well hydrated, and you maintain good electrolyte balance.

Most people can just drink to thirst, and do fine. Some - I'm one - don't have good thirst cues. We need to externalize the thinking somewhat.

Look at the color of your urine. You want pale yellow, straw color kind of. It might be bright (almost neon) yellow if you're getting more than you require of certain water-soluble vitamins, and that's OK. But dark yellow or brown-ish is very bad. Here's the thing, though: Clear, not yellow or only faintly yellow is also bad.

If you do hard sweaty workouts (or sweaty work), drink during them (reasonable amounts, not 100oz, unless you're at it for hours). Weigh yourself before and after, see how close you're getting to hydrating to weight stability, if you're concerned about it. You don't need to be fully weight stable, but you can use that information to inform your hydration strategies, especially if you do long-duration endurance exercise. If your job counts as sweaty all day, you can think in terms of fluid replacement that way, too.

Please don't do "more is better". Think "enough is best".
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Wow, I drink a lot of fluids, but I drink about 90 to maybe 100 a day, not just in the morning. I think unless you are sweating profusely and it is 100 degrees out, you don't need to drink 100 oz in the morning. Space it out over the day otherwise it's a good way to deplete your electrolytes.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,538 Member
    Options
    I think the subject of AMOUNT of water has been adequately covered, so I'll instead address your basic question, whether it becomes easier to drink water through practice. Beyond the pedantic response of "everything becomes easier with practice," I'm gonna say yes, drinking water specifically does become easier.

When I joined the military and entered boot camp, the instructors and drill sergeants wanted to ensure we all stayed hydrated despite tons of exercise in Texas in July. One of their methods was to order the entire training unit to drink their entire canteen, upending it over their heads to prove it was empty. The first few days of training, I estimate half the unit ended up with soaked heads; by the second week, those same individuals were draining their canteen and asking for more.