Is the diet and exercise algorithm adjusted for age?

I am 65 years old, in good health, and have gone from 188lbs to my current 147. I would like to get down to 130 - 135, but it is a real struggle. I walk 10 miles every day and do core and cardio daily. I try to keep my caloric intake between 800 - 1200 daily. The trouble is MyFitness Pro tells me everyday that I am eating less than the FDA’s minimum daily requirements, so it won’t log the information in my diary. I’m thinking that I’m 65 and only 5’5” so of course my metabolism is slower and I require less fuel to keep me going. So I’m wondering maybe the algorithm does not take my age and height into account? Does anyone face similar issues?

Replies

• pmdenlinger
    pmdenlinger Posts: 4 Member
    Ok, but if I increase my exercise from the current four hours daily, that would leave very little time for other activity. I have not felt any bad effects or discomfort eating < 1200 calories daily. If anything, my mind and thinking are better. So this makes me think the algorithm is off when it comes to me.
  • pmdenlinger
    Just to add some information, my BMI is 24, which is normal for my size and age. I would like to get my BMI down to 16-18, which would count as lean which would mean that I am aiming at < maintenance to get that final 10-15 pounds off.
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2022
    "Old" person here.

When MFP gives the message that you are eating less than the recommended daily requirement, I believe that means you are eating less than 1000 calories a day (correct me if I'm wrong). Your day will still be in your food diary but won't post to the newsfeed.

Also, less than 1000/day is way, way too few for someone walking 10 miles a day.

Yes, MFP takes age into account when it recommends a daily program of calories, protein, carbs, etc. I am older than you, female, 5'3, and work at a physical job 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Just now I put a younger age into the settings to see if that would change the recommended calories and MFP gave me about 100 calories more per day.

My experience is I've lost about 3 pounds a month without starving myself. I reached goal with no problem and am going to let my body weigh where it ends up, as long as I am at least 10 pounds away from the normal/overweight line. I prefer "real" food to shakes, but I bought some protein shakes for when I'm tired to keep me away from takeout and have found them to be a great supplement to my day.

I can't buy into all the cultural things people say about age and weight loss. I've never had a problem.

Best wishes to you.
  • pmdenlinger
    More detail. I was 187 in August 2021, then got an Apple Watch to monitor my health. Doctor told me to lose weight so I started walking. Started at about 1 mile daily, then worked my way up to 10 miles over nine months. Got Pacer Pro which got me engaged with the walking community. My weight would plateau after losing every 10 lbs. and that is where I am now. So what sounds like starvation is actually just a plan to get to 130 - 135 in about a month. After getting to that range, I plan to go to daily intake of about 2k calories daily, which should be about breaking even for my weight then.
    Thank you for all the care, and sorry for causing all the worry. A special apology to the ladies, for whom I have caused undue worry; I am moved by your expressions of concern. I am not trying to kill myself, nor am I trying to become a body builder. I am just trying to break through a plateau, lose 10-15 lbs and then go on to building muscle (which I assume will involve putting on some weight, but with muscle).